Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodolds
had no idea banditdave was running an LS motor in an olds now. I can already here red phones ringing and people crying foul on ROP.

I hope to join the LS ranks at some point just been a long last two years.

ozzy4ever1 on rop
Hey man,

Yea...I gave up on the Olds engine after getting screwed over by too many folks. Had too much invested in one person until after 6 years of not getting my stuff I sold what I had and moved to LS.

I will build an Olds motor again some day but for right now...there is no turning back!!! I LOVE these things!

I have this build on ROP...some people like it...others immediately bitch...its ok. To each their own. Funny thing is Trovato goes LSX its cool....anyone else does, blasphemy!!!!

These things make power plain and simple...the technology is lightyears ahead.

It doesn't replace the classics, but heavily compliments it in my opinion for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again!!!
Dave
Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Liking the direction change as well

Ya it can be a little rough on rop at times haha. dont plan on posting there if i go with a GN turbo 6 or LS. i'll post with a timeslip to show what some buick power can do though
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Hey man,

Yea...I gave up on the Olds engine after getting screwed over by too many folks. Had too much invested in one person until after 6 years of not getting my stuff I sold what I had and moved to LS.

I will build an Olds motor again some day but for right now...there is no turning back!!! I LOVE these things!

I have this build on ROP...some people like it...others immediately bitch...its ok. To each their own. Funny thing is Trovato goes LSX its cool....anyone else does, blasphemy!!!!

These things make power plain and simple...the technology is lightyears ahead.

It doesn't replace the classics, but heavily compliments it in my opinion for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again!!!
Dave
well mr brad wise seems to be the new bandwagon kid for the moment. I listed my stroker parts and some 455 junk for sale. Gonna try and get a stocker 5.3 in there on that money.

Good luck man, gonna be a bad *** build with that turbo.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hotrodolds

Good luck man, gonna be a bad *** build with that turbo.
Fair warning...once you convert to the darkside it is REAL hard to go back! All of a sudden everything needs an LSX!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Fair warning...once you convert to the darkside it is REAL hard to go back! All of a sudden everything needs an LSX!
That's the truth!

Awesome build!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

As promised...here are the pics and some discriptions. I still need to take a few of the PSI Conversion harness but this will wet your whistle...

This is a shot with the new intake installed. I am not thrilled with the purple fuel rails but they will do for now. Currently has LS3 42lb injectors right now...that will also change since it won't be enough. Also shows the two manifolds I plan to use - one driver's side truck manny flipped and a driver's side Fbody manny.

Next couple shots show the clearance on the truck manifold on the passenger side...its about a 1/4". I am thinking I will still pull the motor...again ...because I have to drill and tap the pan for the return fitting of the turbo. Driver's side F-body Manifold fits perfectly. I am still not 100% sure if I am going to bring the crossover under the pan between the sump and crossmember or back further under the bellhousing.

Passenger Manifold (Truck)

Driver's Manifold (F-body)

Crossover Clearance between Sump and Crossmember

Where I plan to put the return fitting for the turbo (I am thinking I may overfiill the pan with oil and let the positive pressure push the chips back out the pan...also work with the grease on the bit method.) This is just left of the balancer when viewed from the front.

More to come...
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darksider
Nice job.
Thanks man...love your '65...always wanted one...hard to find one worth saving I can afford...hahaha.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Something showed up today....give you a couple guesses what it was...

More to come!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

More updates...moving right along.

Here's a couple shots of the PSI harness laid in. Fits and looks fantastic!

Here's some shots of the manifold I reworked this weekend to redirect the connecting flange so that it is more easily accessible and has the O2 sensor bung. So I basically did a "flange swap". Sliced and cleaned up the manifold and connecting portion and sealed the deal.

These guys when finished along with the mid and downpipe will be Black JETHOT coated. I am going to clean up the manifolds a little before I send them out because while I am happy with the welds, I am a little unhappy with their appearance. I did, however, want to make sure I got enough heat in them because I have a huge heatsink on one side and small pipe on the other.

These next shots show where the mid-pipe from the driver's side will go to keep it up near the frame but minimize the length disparity between passenger and driver's side feedpipes.

Finally, its Christmas Monday! Jon form PSI got me a real nice deal on a Lingenfelter 100mm MAF and the Lingenfelter Reluctor conversion box...oh yea and he shot me a reflashed PCM so I can get this pig growling sooner!

More to come!!! Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks man...

Upon further review I realized something today...I REALLY hate the way the manifold looks...everything I am doing on this build is supposed to be exactly how I want it and I compromised with the passenger side. I went out and literally stared at it like a moron for 10 straight minutes and said nothing.

I then walked into the house got onto the computer and ordered this:

A Speedway Motors LS1 header kit...I didn't like the fact I couldn't bring the midpipe around front of the motor with manifolds and didn't like the way the C6 manis looked flipped. SOOOO...this will be at my door shortly and I will have headers by this weekend ('cause I accidentally took off from work Friday!!! )

They will look a lot like this when they are done:

My midpipe will be shaped a little differently, however.

Lots more to come!
Dave
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

All righty! Got some updates for ya! After several days of mocking up the tubular headers I found I just couldn't get everything to fit properly in the engine compartment and not risk burning the inner wheel wells. I decided to go back to the truck manifold and the Fbody Manifold - a lot less risk of cracking and I have made some excellent progress this weekend.

I made the passenger intermediate pipe and began the driver's side mid-pipe...I am a little further ahead than what the pictures show but this gives you a good idea what I am talking about...

These pics show the passenger side midpipe leading up to the fully-divided T6 flange. I will be taking two smaller sizes tubes off each pipe for the wastegate soon.

More to come soon!
Dave
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Been a while since an update...definitely been busy with work and my grandmother's health has taken a turn for the worse so there hasn't been much time to play.

Anyhow, I got out to the garage this afternoon and got back to work on the midpipe and basically finished the crossover pipe from the driver's side. Lots of twists and bend and while I am not totally happy with it, it isn't bad for my first attempt at it. I really need to invest in some better cutting tools so I can get cleaner cuts...........and maybe a TIG.

What I got left:

- Intercooler and coldside piping
- Need to get a ministarter
- Bigger injectors
- Finish wiring
- Driveshaft
- Downpipe fabrication
- Wastegate and BOV purchasing and fabrication - currently going with two Tial 38mm but I am not sure I will have the room for both of them, would like to keep them fully divided.
- Throttle Body purchasing and possibly a slightly less angled Intake Elbow to bring the intake over the driver's side valve cover...will give me room for WGs in front of engine.
- Finish exhaust
- Install Vaporworx tank and plumb fuel system....

Dayum....lot more to do now that i wrote it down...lol

Anyway...here's some pics...

Here's the crossover pipe from the driver's side manny and the route it takes to get there. It will be ceramic coated and wrapped.

More to come soon!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

very nice!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks man! I am struggling right now on where I want to put the wastegates. Originally wanted to run two separate 38mm but I am honestly low on space unless I can turn the intake tube to go over the driver's side valve cover. I am looking into that now.

Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's poor health.

Super nice build.

How many lbs of boost will you use at 9.6-1?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ponjohn
Sorry to hear of your grandmother's poor health.

Super nice build.

How many lbs of boost will you use at 9.6-1?
I will only start out with about 4-6psi out of the gate. While the transmission is supposed to be built with the best stuff, I am basically crapping my pants over how much it can really take.

I will inch it up to a max of about 8psi. I gotta remember the cam in this thing is pretty stout to begin with so on top of that I am also boosting.

Should be interesting that is for sure!

Dave
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 PM

this is an awesome build!! lots of good pics and info. good work!

Quick Reply: Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e