Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1933 Ford Coupe/Roadster Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cunningham
Is this still going to be a turbo build?

Should be a handful either way.

nope, was a 5.3l turbo build which turned into a bolton 5.3 because i figured turbo was too much hp. Then changed my mind again and decided to go spraying stroker. Plan was 550rwhp max on the turbo5.3, now i should be in the 500rwhp range pre nitrous. I don't plan more than a 150-200 shot as of now tho.

i see what you did there!!

what all goes into design work like this? Id love to be able to plan with that level of engineering if i ever redo my suspension/rear end/ etc
LMAO i didn't even notice that...everything other than the blue/purplish tubing is all eyeball engineering. The tubing section was just a way i could get input on my ideas over on a hot rod forum.

Prior to learning solidworks i had only used 2d cad with auto-cad. Taught myself some basic things on SW with a tutorial while i was drawing up a carb spacer. This is literally the second thing i've ever drawn in SW. Its all one "part" not an assembly of parts as it really should have been.

My next thing i want to draw up is an actual LS motor. With very basic dimensions for frame design like this. Only place other than GM that has it is SEMA, and you have to be a member to get it. I figure i could make one and share with whom-ever wants it since it would help drastically. I finished the oil pan since the dimensions are on the forum. I planned on making measurements of my bare block today, but im coming down with the flu and don't have the strength to move it around.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SW isn't backwwards compatible, so i can't open the oil pan here at home.

Hopefully i'll find the energy to organize my engine components to drop it off at the machine shop soon.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

im just waiting for you to do one with a c4 rear cradle so i can start measuring....
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some pics with measurements somewhere, if i can find them i'll post them.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't have the pics on this computer, maybe they're at home. What do you plan to put it in?

by the way here is the progress on the engine. I did the cylinders and chain as more of practice, it is all by eye. I don't have anymore measurements to go by at the moment, so i'm playing with parts that don't really matter when using the drawing for frame design.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What the hell a couple more!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dropping off the stroker tomorrow to be assembled! never thought i would go from 323 to 404.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the evolution of the frame there

im just contemplating doing it in my mustang (i think itd be cooler than my ta)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea its more fun drawing it up and seeing it before building than i thought. Plus its going to save me alot of scrap DOM. I've been tossing around an idea in my head to build my own Ariel Atom, design in solid works, use an ls motor with a fwd tranny mounted in the back like the fiero ppl do. Or using a sportbike 1000cc motor. Depends on what direction i decide to go.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i went a little backwards yesterday. I was about to put my summer rims back on my DD, and decided i really need to spend a little money on my dd to get my interested and enjoyment in driving it back again. With all the money spent on the hot rod there is no way im buying another dd anytime soon.

Plan is to paint the rims to stand out a little more like a v dubber, and drop it with some coil-overs.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So i've finally gotten my a$$ moving again. Motor will be done hopefully next week, radiator was supposedly fixed and i have it back. Got some new rims, weld draglites for the back, and draglite xp's for the front.

Since i got working again, i tore everything apart. Motor and trans were already out, sith then i took out the seats, steering, floors, trunk to cabin wall. Cut out the x member, removed the trunk, pulled the rims, and left it level on jack stand.

Then i got working on the roll cage. The plan was no cage or bar at all, since its a removable hardtop i thought it would look odd with no top and bar/cage. Then decided my safety and the fact it should run sub 10's was more important than looks. Now im kind of pumped for the fully caged 33 ford roadster look. I haven't seen any pictures of fully caged for driver and passenger vs just a driver cage.

So far i have the main hoop, the rear bars, and the main hoop to half halo bars in. Here are some pics, the overhead bars look a little weird with the bend in the rear near the main hoop, but they were necessary to hug the roof line and leave room for my head! The bends will be reinforced and be structurally ok.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So figured i would post some more pics up, first off here are the new rims. Weld draglites, and they will get the 3 bar knock offs to look more "traditional' on the rod.

Fronts are the draglite xp's

They stick out a bit, but its going to be a wide fender hot rod.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a little farther, atleast i thought, on the roll cage. Got the main hoop cross bar in to mount my harness tabs, then realized it takes up to much cabin room. Need to make a piece the bows back to give me the few extra inches of space. Its already to small inside as it is. Anyone over 6ft would have very hard time driving it. Passenger side has more foot room tho.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some pics with the top off:

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Friday i dropped off the draglites to have the hoosier qtp's removed, prob going to sell them so if anyone is interested let me know. I don't much about them other than the wear hole still seems pretty deep, but i was told they are down to the street limit wear bar. Going to put screws in the holes that were drilled prior to buying the rims. Then have my m&h racemasters mounted. The screws are going to be cut flush with the inside of the rim, i don't need them penetrating the tires, i just don't want to drive around with holes in my rims!

Here are some comparison photos of the qtp's 27x11.5x15 and the racemasters 325/50/15

Sat was spent fixing the exhaust on my DD. It had a leak in a bad spot so i had to replace a section of pipe. Once it passed state inspection i threw my freshly painted summer rims and front lip back on. [back tires might not have passed inspection hence the reason for waiting till the exhaust was fixed]

Don't hate the v-dub! And its not meant to be a subi look-a-like. Real BBS rims painted in BBS gold.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FINALLY!!! The motor should be ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!! Only took 2 months, but either way i prefer quality over speed.[To there defense they were backed up when i dropped it off, and i was missing parts ontop of it]

Today i ordered my paint for it, as well as 5pt harness, roll bar padding, weld on harness tabs, wheel screws, and shank lugs for my welds. Paint is the ford corporate blue by por15. I got the whole kit, only reason i went with the ford corp blue is because it will match my body the best of the por15 colors.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Please paint it like the eliminator.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

still keeping the powertrain plans under wraps?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paywithdeath
Please paint it like the eliminator.
Back in its day it was prob a pretty radical rod. But im more of a flames kind of guy. When i do eventually paint it, it will be alot like this one:

Except the top, fenders, and flames with be lexus is-f sonic blue. And the sides a caddy peal white.

Quick Reply: 1933 Ford Coupe/Roadster Stroker Build