Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some cool night shots

Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So no work last night, had a late night at work. But once i finally got home, my parts were in. My 5pt harness finally showed up, along with the rest of my exhaust componenets.

The Pypes X pipe kit seems to be a very good quality setup for the price. I was considering making my own X pipe since all it is, is 2 45*'s welded together, but the Pypes piece is nice.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didnt get as much done as i would have liked this weekend, but i guess my goal may have been a little too much. What i did get done came out pretty good so far. My plan for the cutout pre x pipe changed to post x pipe. By doing so the front half of the x works as an H pipe for scavaging with the cutouts closed as well. I also gain clearance from the e_cutouts as well since they sit further back and be twisted up tucked under the car.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

progress pics:

Lets say a little better flow.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The headers are done, the collectors are on, just no pics of it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So i decided to spend the extra $$ and get flex pipes. Had to go through fleabay since most places don't carry them in 3.5", and if they do they are around $60, and got a pair for $60 shipped with 4 yr warrenty.

Meanwhile i welded on the flanged to connect everything up permenantly, and started thinking about how to hard-mount the exhaust since the flex pipe will take up the twisting. My choice to hardmount came from the fact that i have alot of piping under the car and it is all within .5" of either frame tubing or my drive-shaft.

Untill the flexpipes come in, im at a minor standstill. I will focus on getting the exhaust hardmounted, then work to creat additional floor framing, and create places to bolt the seats down. With the seats in place i can weld on my 5pt harness mounts.

Pics of the exhaust so far:

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Damn that looks good - great work
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didnt get anything exciting done this weekend. Floor is in seat brakets match the new floor support. Exhaust is complete and installed.

Im hoping to have some headway on the pedal mount and steering columb mount before the end of the night. I want to make my break in/ tuning apointment this week.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'm really excited to keep watching this build!! Very impressive for your first "hotrod" And great choice for a ford! Keep up the good work. Any idea what your gonna do to finish up the interior (raw fiberglass innards)
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For now its going to be raw swisscheese floor and such. But once completed im not 100%. Im considering leaving alot of fiberglass painted to match the exterior. i may also do some flocking to keep things easy. I like to everything myself so it may time too much time to learn to sew, although my grandmother did it for a living and i had her sew up some interior parts on my 72 buick.

Here is an example of flocking, i know when i first heard of it i didn't have a clue what it was, if done right it comes out real nice. Its basically fiberparticals.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brief update.

Although i've worked on it after work all week, and took the mornings off this weekend to go to the beach, i've not got as much done as i would have liked. Things are getting a little more tedious and taking more time that i anticipated. I guess it follows the 80-20 rule. 80% of the work done in 20% of the time, and the last 20% of the work take 80% of the time.

Here is where im at: I got the firewall framing in, no actual metal firewall for now. Got the pedal assembly completed. It needed more modifying. Steering columb is in, along with the custom bracket to hold it in place. The clutch master, and break master are in. Brake lines all reconnected. Fuel cell mounted in trunk. New injectors in. Installed starter, along with modifying the crank sensor wire, and oil level wire. The wrapped the wiring with heat tape.

Never really had to think about ergonomics of a car untill this point. Im def comfortable with pedal positions and steering wheel position. But with the size of the car, i don't think anyone much taller than myself could ever drive it.

Im going to have to hack up the fuel rails a bit to hide the injector connector on the inner side of the rails. They just sit so low with the ls7 injectors that they hit either the intake or the rails. Once i remove the red coating from the rails, and first glance 99% of people won't even notive the rails/injectors and thing its a carb'ed sbc.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the nice and neat wiring around the starter. The battery line is going to run to a terminal behind the firewall, and then to the trunk from there. Keeps things simple since i can run a fuse under the dash, along with an extra hidden shutoff since im looseing the key operated turn on because of clearance near the pedals.

To get this done soon i really need to set my mind on one thing and get it done. I've been trying to tie up so many loose ends all at once that im getting a little overwelmed with my goals. Plus im rushing through the build to the point that im starting to miss the enjoyment of fabricating and building this car. I may slow it down a bit and enjoy the wok im doing a little more.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just realized the guide i original used to modify my harness was from a 99. Now i need to go back and double check my pinouts to make sure everything is good. Not sure how similar 99's to 02's are, but my last engine ran fine.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
just realized the guide i original used to modify my harness was from a 99. Now i need to go back and double check my pinouts to make sure everything is good. Not sure how similar 99's to 02's are, but my last engine ran fine.
The only difference would be emission wiring.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The only difference would be emission wiring.
Thanks, I went through with the pin-out and checked all my major connectors, cam sensor, crank sensor, injectors, knock, iat, so on, and they all seem just fine. I don't have any emissions on mine so im good to go!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yesterday i got the rest of my trunk done up along with the above mentioned wire testing, and changing some pigtails.

Fuel cell was already in, i painted and installed the batter bracket, then installed the fuel pump, pre and post filters, and the fuel supplie lines.

To the left of the battery should be just enough room for my nitrous bottle.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way thats the brake proportioning valve. I had it under the car, but figured since the trunk is still open to the outside i might aswell move it into there while im adjusting and finding a sweet spot. Onces i find a setup i like i will move it to a place it won't get disturbed.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just saw that FORD stole my exhaust design for their new bos 302...bastards!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So yesterday was a fun day. I may have stumbled across a clutch issue. I bled the clutch with a mityvac till i have very good pedal feel. Well the clutch wouldn't disengage. These forums are cluttered with clutch wont disengage threads, but im not sure my situations fits any. I had all the same parts work flawlessly last year around the beginning of November. They all stayed intact till about march when i pulled my old motor. So im hoping i simply didn't bleed it enough.

On a good note, i got my missing o-rings installed on my fuel rails. Installed my return lines, along with my fuel pressure regulator.

Quick Reply: 1933 Ford Coupe/Roadster Stroker Build