Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, first LS engine, Swapping into Jeep, lots of ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiring? I am considering running a seperate harness that controls the motor, and then running the jeep computer to control the running lights and all the inside stuff. Is this what everyone is doing? Anyone got any pictures of a setup like this?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a full kit for what you want to do here, it is $1000, but it comes with the computer, harness, fuel pump(intank or inline), filter, regulator, hose and fittings. The ECM will be programmed to your supplied specs, and the harness will just run the engine.

To answer the earlier question, yes, we tuned it, just street driven, not chassis dyno, and it is our harness.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC25
Wiring? I am considering running a seperate harness that controls the motor, and then running the jeep computer to control the running lights and all the inside stuff. Is this what everyone is doing? Anyone got any pictures of a setup like this?
The Jeep posted earlier did just that.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JC25
Take the time to read through the pirate thread. It answers about 90% of the questions you will have. Easily worth reading through all the pages.

I modifed my factory Engine harness, and will be hooking it into the Jeep harness. You can use most of the factory gauges if you would like as well, but I will be going with aftermarket gauges. There are several there who can work with your computer as well. My harness work was free other than the time. The resources here, there and elsewhere on the net are more than enough to rework your engine/trans harness.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 PM

what radiator and fans are people using to keep this engine cool? looking for something that mounts right into the jeep grill like OEM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

having read through a lot of the mentioned pirate thread (and im years away from the swap im planning into a toyota pickup) you will find all the information youre seeking and much much more there. I agree that its a great idea to be as eclectic as possible in gathering information from more than one source/dedication, but mounting the engine, cooling it, and keeping it well fed and happy are all going to be the same answer from either source... for most things rock crawling requires a much sturdier setup anyway.

heres the thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735270
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I've got 4:10 gears. It was a 4 cylinder to start and they cam with 4:10 gears stock'

8.8 Explorer rear end.
Very cool dude
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

It all comes down to time, yours or an aftermaket supplier. I have combined both. Novak adapters and radiator. Howell harness for the engine and trans control. No offense Mark. Mark at a Schwanke for tuning because no one can guess your combo for tuning until it's in the car and running. Mark did a great job.

My TJ swap has run perfect from -30 plowing snow to 95 degrees on the Hot Rod power tour. Starts with a turn of the key no matter what. The LS1 computer runs the engine and trans. The Jeep computer runs the rest of the Jeep and has no clue what the engine is.

And not a small detail but It's fast and allot of fun to drive!

Quick Reply: New, first LS engine, Swapping into Jeep, lots of ?'s