Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

DUDE!!!!!

So awesome, can't wait to see it rolling under its own power!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations! I can't believe you've finally gotten it fired up.

Side note, did I hear the fan running when you shut it off in that second video? I can't imagine it got up to operating temp that quickly.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Great job Clint. Big milestone. How did you prime your engine? WHat are your plans for this over the winter? Its gotta be hard with a family. Especially a youngin'. LOL.

Have you had the Cal-Tracs' on prior to the swap? If so, what was your impression? worth the money? If I all ready asked this, bybad. LOL
Old 11-10-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks guys! I am stoked to have it running!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Side note, did I hear the fan running when you shut it off in that second video? I can't imagine it got up to operating temp that quickly.
Yes the fan came on, even though the engine hardly warmed up at all. I will ask the tuner if the behavior is expected. IIRC he set it up for low speed to turn on at 180 and high speed at 210. I still need to let it warm up and see what happens - the longest I've had it running so far was just a few minutes to take that video.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
How did you prime your engine?
I cranked the engine over with the starter to prime it, basically following the procedure below provided with GMPP LS crate engines:

Oil System Prime: a. The engine should be primed with oil before
starting. Install an oil pressure gauge (the existing oil pressure
sensor location at the upper rear of the engine may be used)
and disconnect the engine control system (removing power from
the engine control module is generally recommended, but check
your engine control system information for additional details).
Note: Disconnecting only ignition or fuel injector connectors is
not recommended – make sure the control system will not provide
ignition or fuel to the engine. b. Once the engine control system
has been disconnected, crank the engine using the starter for 10
seconds and check for oil pressure. If no pressure is indicated,
wait 30 seconds and crank again for 10 seconds. Repeat this
process until oil pressure is indicated on the gauge.
WHat are your plans for this over the winter? Its gotta be hard with a family. Especially a youngin'. LOL.
So far I have no concrete plans beyond getting it on the ground and driving. Here in SoCal, winter really only means it gets dark earlier - I can still drive and enjoy the car and I plan on doing exactly that before I sort out my next priorities. Safety is high on my list right now, so some candidate projects include new seats and safety harnesses / child seat anchors, led tail lights and halogen headlights, and bigger side mirrors. I also need to work on some maintenance items like replacing the rear pinion seal and diff cover gasket, which are both weeping. I'm sure the swap will have a few surprises in store for me.

It is very hard to make progress on the car with a now 3 year old daughter and 6 year old son - they are my #1 priority and I would rather spend these years riding bikes, playing games, and enjoying every moment I have with them before they sprout up and run off to college or wherever their ambitions take them. So if I don't make a ton of progress on the car, I will be just fine with that.

Have you had the Cal-Tracs' on prior to the swap? If so, what was your impression? worth the money? If I all ready asked this, bybad. LOL
I am using Competition Engineering Slide-A-Links, which are very similar to Cal-Tracs, except they have an adjustable tension with a bushing that is supposed to help prevent shock in the system from unloading on the tires. I put them on around 2003, so they were on for about 7 years of driving before I took that car apart for this swap. They were a night and day improvement - the car hooked so much better than with the multileaf springs alone and it felt much more stable/tight back there. Depending on your plans for the car, I would say they are worth the money.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 11-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
It is very hard to make progress on the car with a now 3 year old daughter and 6 year old son - they are my #1 priority and I would rather spend these years riding bikes, playing games, teaching them both to wrench with me, and enjoying every moment I have with them before they sprout up and run off to college or wherever their ambitions take them. So if I don't make a ton of progress on the car, I will be just fine with that.
Fixed that for ya
Old 11-10-2016, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

You got that right buddy!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

I want a do over on the first startup video!

That is my son Logan, six years old now, and his little sister Sydney, three. Logan has been asking about "daddy's red car" since he started talking. Coincidentally I started this project about the same time he was born.

I love both of my kids beyond words. Seeing him so excited to start this car put an ear-to-ear smile across my face that I can't shake.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 11-11-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Awwww, so cute. I bet your heart just melt when you where videoing that.. Good memories for sure !!!
Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL... Great vid... just needed to hear "I want to go Fast !"......
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I will be replaying that video for a lifetime! He was exuding excitement!

Now that the engine is running, I've compiled a new checklist for what's needed to get the car back on the road. This is harder than I thought because some of the car has been disassembled for six years and it's hard to remember everything that's come off, let alone locate all the parts that have since moved homes!

I decided to start by reinstalling the rear seat. As I was putting in the lower part of the seat, I double checked the battery cable routing and found it was routed directly under the springs. My brother dubbed this the "hot seat", but I like "electric chair" better!

To avoid catastrophic meltdown/fire, I relocated the wire clamp and found a better location closer to the firewall. This seat (and the entire interior of the car really) has seen better days, but at least it's in now.

Next on the project is the air conditioning evaporator suitcase. A long time ago, I cut a small rectangle out of the box to provide clearance with the back corner of the cylinder head. You can see the cylinder head peekaboo in the photo below, which is looking from inside of the car through the firewall opening. This area needs to be patched with fiberglass to seal up the HVAC system and create a clearance pocket for the engine.

There were also a couple other holes in need of patching from previous damage. Below I used sandpaper to rough up the interior around all the patch areas and cleaned them with IPA.

Next, I used some modelling clay to create a backing/mold to fiberglass over. I coated the clay with PVA mold release and let it set up for about 30 minutes before attaching the clay to the exterior of the evaporator suitcase.

Finally I mixed about 1oz of resin with 14drops of hardener in a Dixie cup, brushed it onto the interior of the box, and applied two layers of 1.5oz chopped fiberglass. After each layer, I brushed on additional resin and used the brush to press the fiberglass into/around corners and remove air. Given this is the first time I've ever attempted fiberglass work, I'm satisfied with the results. But I did learn a few things for future. First, the 1.5oz mat is a little too thick for this kind of detail work; it was hard to work around the small shape I was creating. Second, I did not need quite so much resin - some of it pooled up in the corners, but fortunately none of this will be seen. Third, some times you just have to try things and I'm really glad I did. I may be able to use this technique down the road to create an airbox or other fiberglass parts.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks! They made my day seeing those smiles! A new car guy!! Nice job on the patches.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Man a build going on as long as mine! Glad to see it's not uncommon! Congrats on getting it started, that's a huge milestone. Keep pushing, it's close.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine left the house to get sheetmetal work in 2007, still not done! You guys are doing good
Old 11-21-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I want a do over on the first startup video!

https://youtu.be/uUkMiMpk2e0

That is my son Logan, six years old now, and his little sister Sydney, three. Logan has been asking about "daddy's red car" since he started talking. Coincidentally I started this project about the same time he was born.

I love both of my kids beyond words. Seeing him so excited to start this car put an ear-to-ear smile across my face that I can't shake.
That was awesome!! Great memories right there!

My son is 2.5 years and he loooooves going for a ride in my big block powered pickup. One day he was about 20 ft from the truck and I started it up after I fixed something. I guess he wasn't expecting it, because it scared the crap out of him. It's quite loud with a rumpity cam!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you guys! The kids are a new element to this hobby for me and it's awesome!

I managed to reassemble the AC suitcase and mount it to the firewall. Pardon the messy wiring; I cleaned that up after the photos.

In all the years I drove this car, I never paid much attention to the factory AC/HVAC (heating ventilation and air conditioning), because I did not have the AC compressor or the rest of the system installed. Now I am on a mission to make the system operational and I'm doing my homework on how this particular system operates. I'm beginning to learn it offers all the functionality of a modern HVAC: vent, AC, heat, blend, recirculate, and AC-dehumidified defroster. The only things it doesn't do are automatic or dual climate control. The control system is based on a combination of relay logic, vacuum valves, and simple mechanical devices. It may seem antiquated compared to today's micro-controlled EVERYTHING, but in actuality it is a robust system that I expect it will work great after refurbishment.

With the AC mounted, I could finally start putting some sheetmetal back on. I mounted the fenders, inner fenders, and grill assemblies.

I also ran the front wiring harness for the headlights and markers. It was great to see them light up again after so many years, although I am also looking forward to upgrading them at some point.

Next I was itching (from the fiberglass perhaps?) to get the car back on the ground and rotate the tires. So after six long years, the Nova finally took it's maiden voyage with its new LSx swap engine. It was like being reunited with an old friend. We just picked up where we left off six years ago and went for a spin like nothing had ever happened. Long time comin'. This was also my son's first ride in the Nova and he was stoked! The moment it started to move, he just lit up!

Here is a video:

As excited as I am to have the car running again, I am most excited about my wife's, son's and daughter's reactions to it. I have had this car for many years. I used to pick up my girlfriend in this car in high school and that same girl is now my wife and mother to my kids. It's great to have them all just as excited as I am!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's so awesome! Great early Xmas present right there!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by douglee25
That's so awesome! Great early Xmas present right there!
YES!

Here's a striking comparison of then vs now:

Both look good to me, but I may be biased. A good cleaning is on the to-do list after I get a few miles under the belt.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congratulations ! They look like they had a ball.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty soon he's going to be asking for ride-alongs when you autocross. Spoiler: Good Guys doesn't allow anyone under 10. Buy him a go kart for Christmas to make up for it.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh that is awesome! Congrats on the start up but his big smile takes the cake!

Parenting-you're doing it right

Quick Reply: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT