Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

So many updates to write up and so little time, so here are some short clips instead:

Here is what it looks like to operate the Silver Sport STX short throw shifter on the 6 speed. The short throws with this shifter are amazing. Moving 1st to 2nd I just pull back with slight pressure left. Moving 2nd to 3rd, I can just push forward and it will find it's way naturally over to 3rd. 3rd to 4th again I just pull back. The movements are short and crisp.

With break in miles behind me, I was finally ready to dump the clutch on those poor tires. Rowing through 1st, 2nd, and (briefly) 3rd while doing a rolling burnout was so much fun! I'm sure it could keep spinning up into 4th gear, but I'd prefer a more open space for those kinds of shenanigans. I plan to practice some clutch kicking & drift as I reach end of life on the current set of tires. I've had a goal for the longest time to execute a forward 360 spin in this car. That will take a lot of practice and open space - there is a very specific sequence of steering and clutch to make it happen and this car has a limited steering angle.

I have more to write up on the trans install. If you follow me on Instagram (@chevyhotrodder), you know I also just finished installing a Ricks Restomod tank with a Gen V Camaro SS fuel module and Vaporworx mechanical regulator. The fuel pump was failing on my modified stock tank and I decided it was time for a more reliable setup. My how the options have changed since I did the swap! I started this thread over ten years ago now and I've had the car driving over 5 years. So much has changed, but the engine continues to make reliable horsepower and I LOVE driving this car.
The following users liked this post:
cam (05-28-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

That’s looks fun. So glad you are throughly enjoying the swapS
Old 06-01-2021, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Going on a tangent, I made a little short last week with the Nova about driving at night. I am ratchetting up my videography this year and this was a fun little project to get familiar with on-car camera mounting. Let me know what you think

G Atsma (06-07-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

That turned out very good. I can only imagine how long it took to produce and edit. It would of been funny (to mee anyways lol) if the voice over was Bobcat goldwait ( whatever his name is)

im sure it’s been brought up before, what head light are you running? They light up great
-TheBandit- (06-07-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:40 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Cool vid man! Nicely shot, edited and cohesive. I dig it
-TheBandit- (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that was well said. This video sums up the way I feel when I take my Nova out for a spin. Far too infrequently I might add.

Ken
-TheBandit- (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
That turned out very good. I can only imagine how long it took to produce and edit. It would of been funny (to mee anyways lol) if the voice over was Bobcat goldwait ( whatever his name is)

im sure it’s been brought up before, what head light are you running? They light up great
Thank you Jimbo! Strangely this was one of the fastest shoot, edit, and voiceover videos I've produced. I have maybe 2.5hours into it total - everything just came together. I'm no Matthew McConaughey - there are far better voiceover talents than me - but I think I got the job done. The video makes the headlights look bright, but in fact they are very marginal. They are just old Wagner halogens and I'm unhappy with the lack of visibility. I plan to update to projector LEDs, but I'm not sure yet which ones. I have my eye on the rather pricey Dapper lights with the OE glass, but I can't decide if I want halos or just an pure OE look, and I'm also not happy about how cool white the color temperature is on those. So I'm still shopping.

Originally Posted by cam
Cool vid man! Nicely shot, edited and cohesive. I dig it
Thank you cam!

Originally Posted by Kenova
Damn, that was well said. This video sums up the way I feel when I take my Nova out for a spin. Far too infrequently I might add.
I'm stoked it resonated with you. I was trying to capture a specific emotion and it seems to have done the job.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,103 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It went well and quickly because it has a natural flow to it. No pretense, no fakery, just telling and showing it like it is....
Super job!
-TheBandit- (08-02-2021)

Quick Reply: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT