Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faster and faster each time! Awesome! I must say though the S10 blazer wasn't any slouch.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That was the first full nitrous pass for my friend's Blazer. I gave him .3 seconds at the reaction time and beat him by .5 seconds, but like you said a 6.50 second Blazer is no joke. We were talking this morning about him making his quickest ever pass and in the middle of it I strolled him. Just goes to show there is always somebody faster out there. Plenty of faster cars to keep me humble too. But we both just enjoyed our new personal bests.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy406
That was the first full nitrous pass for my friend's Blazer. I gave him .3 seconds at the reaction time and beat him by .5 seconds, but like you said a 6.50 second Blazer is no joke. We were talking this morning about him making his quickest ever pass and in the middle of it I strolled him. Just goes to show there is always somebody faster out there. Plenty of faster cars to keep me humble too. But we both just enjoyed our new personal bests.
I want my skylark to be like your nova one day, but for now Ill probably build a 370c.i (6.0) and run it for a while try and get into the 6s atleast on the motor alone. My bud has a 355 in a nova going 6.92 but dialed back for 7.0 index
Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

It was a 3 to 4 year process for me to convert from SBC to turbo LSx. Sounds like you have a good plan for your Skylark. Work on getting it running naturally aspirated, and then start collecting parts to boost it. Work on other people's cars to build up the funds, take your time, learn as much as you can from other people, and just be patient.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Teching In

I just got done reading your whole thread beginning to end. Great job on the car and on keeping the build thread up to date!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

It was a 3 to 4 year process for me to convert from SBC to turbo LSx. Sounds like you have a good plan for your Skylark. Work on getting it running naturally aspirated, and then start collecting parts to boost it. Work on other people's cars to build up the funds, take your time, learn as much as you can from other people, and just be patient.
Yeah im eventually gonna boost the skylark one day for the 5.0 1/8ths but I am build another street/strip motor for something else at the time. Skylark gonna have to run my normal old setup for a little.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Default awesomeness

I'm using C6 Corvette exhaust manifolds. An aftermarket Martz subframe gives me a lot of clearance to route 2½" exhaust tubing around the engine mounts and up into the turbos.

I am currently using a spool in my 12-bolt with 3.08 gears. It's the best choice for light, strong, and cheap but I'm not really happy with it for street driving. It's called a compromise.

I doubt that I'll change to a powerglide since my TH-400 is holding up now. Granted they are lighter and very strong but I'm done with spending big money for a while.

I still have a complete NOS kit and even still have the bottle mounts in the trunk. Don't see any reason to add nitrous to it though if I can pull mid 1.3 sixty foot times.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been upgrading little things to prepare for running True Street and Rumble at Holley's LS Fest next weekend. Since I only have a 6-point roll bar I will have to limit the ET to 10.00. So far I've added a horn, radiator catch can, neutral safety switch, bracket for CO2 bottle, updated harness, fixed driveshaft loop, and added a sealed battery box. Also added a methanol injection kit to help cool the IAT after 3 back-to-back ¼ mile passes in True Street. Hope to make some passes tonight here at Huntsville to dial it in at 6.40 which should be close to the 10.00 in a quarter mile.

Hands down the best thread I have ever read. I have add and couldn't take my mind off of it . If you made this into a coffee table book I would buy it. I just got a 71 nova and was going the same route you are with twin turbos on a stroked 6.0 with stage three ls3 heads. I needed direction so I Google what I'm trying to do and found your thread. I wish I had a portion of your knowledge. I'm not to far from bottom of the barrel at this point.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Awesome build man, Love this body style nova!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by boundbyz
Hands down the best thread I have ever read. I have add and couldn't take my mind off of it . If you made this into a coffee table book I would buy it. I just got a 71 nova and was going the same route you are with twin turbos on a stroked 6.0 with stage three ls3 heads. I needed direction so I Google what I'm trying to do and found your thread. I wish I had a portion of your knowledge. I'm not to far from bottom of the barrel at this point.
Very kind words. The only way any of us are able to assemble a pile of parts into a running & driving car is by learning from others and just going out to the garage and start trying. If you are willing to put out the effort, there are a ton of people online that are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. It is very cool to see someone eager to learn and willing to dive into new territory. I owe a lot to the folks that helped me on these forums and local guys that keep me motivated. And there are ways to get around the money barrier too. I work on other people's cars to build up funds for my projects so that I am not impacting my family's standard of living. If it takes a couple years, then so be it. So let me know if I can help with your project.

I'm heading to a dyno day tomorrow. This time I'll have 160 lb/hr injectors, add some 110 octane, and open my exhaust cut-outs. Like I said on a local forum - my goal is 998 rwhp. That will keep me humble and leave room for improvement If it accidentally tops 4-digits I guess that will be OK too.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a 68 nova that ran 6.20's NA and it was fun as hell, that nova is just bad ***. Congrats on such a cool build.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

I look forward to seeing what you put down on the dyno, obviously the car performs at the track so it should be big numbers but I'm just curious. Good luck on the quad digits!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

I didn't make it to the dyno in the Nova Saturday. A variety of problems (c-clip eliminators leaking on rear brakes, had to re-mount boost controller...). I'm still fighting with the c-clip eliminators. Just about ready to ****** the differential out and go with Ford axle tube ends.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome build! Just looking through this and seems you got a NICE selection of parts and it's running very well. Congrats!

William
Old 06-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Awesome build. Just read the whole thread. I have recently bought a roller and have been doing research into a LQ4 twin build. This is the best i have read to date. I am inspired. Two things happened today while reading.
1. Joined the forum
2. Made 100 % certain that this is the route that i am going to take.

Great job!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Love the build as I have something similar in plan. After reading through the many pages of your build I find out to my surprise you are actually in the same town! Would love to see your car in person, are you going to be at any shows or at the strip any time soon?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Haven't read through the whole build and not sure if you really care that much about it but you could use the BBC heater box cover and heater core from a 67-69 camaro to have a functional heater in your car. they are all interchangeable and the BBC version moves the heater tube location to the middle of the heater box so you can have room to hook it all up. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you wanted to change it later on.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found this thread!

WOW! Great job on such a Beautiful car!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Any updates?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks again for the positive and encouraging comments. I am glad that this build thread has also helped some other's with sourcing parts and finding some inspiration. I'll have to say it is very rewarding once you start getting to drive, race, and share it with other gear heads.

I don't really have a whole lot to update. I spent most of my time this year doing side work on people's Corvettes and tuning LSx cars. I did finish my 6 point roll bar into a 10 point cage and got it certified for 8.50 ¼ mile ETs. In September I went to LS Fest and won the 10 second average in True Street (spun 2 passes which lowered my ET) and got 2nd on the dyno challenge at 885 rwhp. My best ¼ mile was 9.04 at 154 mph with a 1.44 sixty foot. If I could have only left hard with the typical 1.32 sixty foot... So the first 8 second pass will have to wait for 2015.
* Ended up breaking my 3.08 ring gear on the 2nd round of the Sunday bracket race.
* After replacing the 3.08 gears I made 1 pass and noticed my fuel pressure was falling off so I sent the Magnafuel pump to be refreshed.
* Got that back and made 1 qualifying pass at Radial Fest 2014 and rolled the sprag (again) in my TH-400.
* Upgraded that to a "Promod" 36 element sprag and it's now back ready to run again.

I had a goal to lower my 1/8 mile ET to 5.5s this year and that didn't happen. Just recently I swapped my Virginia Speed VTC-3 cam for a LJMS spec'd 234/243 cam but I haven't made any passes with the new cam yet.

Over this winter I plan to reduce some of the 3,730 lb (including me) race weight. I'm thinking delete the heater box, delete windshield wiper assembly, replace the 1988 Grand Prix power lumbar front seats, and possibly replace the steel ralley wheels. I would like to drop at least 100 lbs.

Here's a couple pictures from 2014:
Name:  Jakes_launch.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  317.4 KB

Name:  LSFest2014racing1.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  SuperChevyNovapicture.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  RF2k14sears1.jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  124.7 KB
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting to run your car! Your car is pretty much the definition of a sleeper (until you start it up )! Thanks for sharing your build!

Sorry though for all of the breakdowns though!

Your car would look Great with some Weld Pro Stars or some Convo Pro's, not too mention that you'd probably drop some time because of lighter rolling weight (unsprung).

Quick Reply: 69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS