Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, sick ride. subscribed. looking forward to the hot and cold side being done.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lsvpeter
...looking forward to the hot and cold side being done.
You and me both... I'll have to post a picture of the pile of mandrel bends, v-band clamps, T4 and C6 flanges, t-bolt clamps, steering shaft joints etc. During the week I don't get much time to work on it, but I did spend a few minutes last night with a carbide bit to open up the C6 flanges to fit over my 16 gauge mandrel bent 2½" piping. I'm going to pick up some straight 2½" pipe and get back to working on the passenger side hot pipe this weekend.

I've been studying up on radiators. There is quite a price range on universal fit, crossflow, 27" wide x 19" tall aluminum. Using Summit's compare feature it seems that increasing the tube diameter from 1", 1¼", 1½" adds about $100 for each ¼" increase. I've heard several people struggle to cool a street driven, twin turbo with air-to-air IC, so I'll probably spring the extra money for the best radiator I can fit. Of course I'll also have to upgrade the cooling fans to low profile (only 6" thickness available for radiator & fans) This build sure will drain the funds.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

YES!!! Looks amazing! you should update the turbocharged engine bay thread on the bullet! your engine bay looks nuts! and yet so highly detailed and well thought out all at once! major props.

on a side note, what kind of power are you looking to make?, reason im asking is because im going to have to run an intercooler with a "same side in-out" design, and im limited to 2 1/2" thick at best, and im looking to make 750rwhp, and i dont know if the intercooler ive chosen will be enough.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

I have been avoiding the "how much power do you expect to put down?" question. The closest answer I can give is that my 406 SBC on nitrous made 660rwhp. If this new combination doesn't beat that, well I'll tear it down and build it again until it does. My goal is to make good power on pumpgas. But someday it just may get a splash of race gas on the dyno for some internet hero, dyno queen numbers.

I'm helping a guy put together an extensive list of upgrades for his C5, and if he pulls the trigger I'll make enough on the labor to finish this puppy up. Of course that will kill a couple of weeks of my time, but that's the way I fund this thing.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Default radiator fans

Good job on the build . As for the electric fans , would a Dodge Viper fans work because they have a shroud built on it & it's a 2 speed (around 4400 &5400 cfm). I'm using it on my build but I haven't put the intercooler on to see if I have the clearence. I don't have the part # @ hand but I'll look it up. I used 1 behind my 1030 hp NA BBF & drove it evereywhere.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up fans

Forgot , but you need a 70 amp relay.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Teching In

nice build, keep up the good work!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy406
[/IMG]
That looks SO good!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build Clyde.I can't believe I missed it earlier.I'll get those parts out to you soon.
Ken
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Almost another month has passed without any measurable progress on this build. So far in 2012 I have installed clutches in 2 C5 Corvettes and am currently doing heads, cam, Vararam, injectors, underdrive pulley, headers, cat-back, stall converter on a third C5. While that pulls me away from the Nova, it does help fund the parts. I did pick up a 3-bar MAP from Ken ^^. We had a good email conversation comparing builds.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clyde,
It apperars that things are coming together nicely. Keep me informed.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im pretty sure i missed it but where is(are) your turbo drain(s)? I need to find a place to put mine in the oil pan so i can do a test fit!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

I still haven't added the turbo drains to the oil pan. I wanted to be sure of the turbo locations before popping holes in the pan. It's getting about time to do that now. With my aftermarket subframe I am able to remove the oil pan with the engine still in the car.

I have only spent a few minutes here and there on the drivers side exhaust routing. I removed the inner fender to make sure the tire had plenty of clearance, and I have finished tacking together the driver's side pipe from manifold to T4 flange. That was the hard side, now I'll work on aligning the passenger side T4 flange and route that hot pipe.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Nice work been following for a while ... way to keep plugging away. !
Henry Ford once said ... Quality is the work you do when nobodys looking!
You put your build on front street for all to see.
I'd be proud as $&^% if I was you lol
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Clyde you can come over and Tig me up some nice SS headers for some front mount TTs on the S10. Or just stop what you're doing so that I don't have the urge to splurge for TTs. haha. Are you going to polish those tubes up or ceramic coat them?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you made any new progress on the Nova? I have to wonder: with such a fine example of a twin turbo LSx **** star, why is you avatar still a daily driver Corvette?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

I think Clyde's been busy..He had to rebuild the LS1 in the DD Vette and has been doing side jobs...As far as I know he's still plugging away at it though...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the poke Bandit and Petro. I came to the conclusion back in March that I really need to learn how to say NO every now and then. Still haven't done a very good job turning down work though. In the first 4½ months of this year I replaced the clutch in 2 C5s; did a cam/heads/exhaust/stall upgrade on another C5; rebuilt the LS1 in my C5; and did a cam/stall swap in a '68 Camaro with a supercharged LQ4. Did you notice that none of the cars on that list started with '69 Nova? It's been frustrating, but I have built up a nice car fund. Oh yeah - my Son graduates from High School this month too. Yet another distraction from time and money.

I am now back to working a little on the Nova. This week I ordered a Tial 50mm blowoff valve and an Entropy radiator/shroud/fan assembly. The radiator is a dual pass, with both inlet/outlet on the passenger side. The fans are low profile to give me the 6½" clearance I need between the intercooler and water pump.

Meanwhile I have put in a little time with the turbo plumbing. I have the 2½" tubing tack welded together from both C6 manifolds into the T4 flanges. So now that locks down the turbo locations. The cold side piping is pretty simple, only requiring a couple aluminum welds that I'll have to get help with. I am going to buy a 3" forged elbow to replace the straight outlet on the intercooler. I have also been working on the oil supply lines and plan to add the oil drains into the pan this weekend. I hid the oil supply lines behind the fenders up to bulkhead fittings bolted to the fenders. Now I am bending some ¼" SS tubing from the bulkheads to the turbos. Should be a nice clean install. I'll post pictures after that's done.

Unless I have some unexpected problems, after this weekend I should be ready to work on fitting up the 3" downpipes. Oh yeah - I will also have to add the Tial 44mm wastegates, rework my steering shaft, relocate the transmission cooler. But one good thing is that I have purchased pretty much everything I need to complete the build. Now I need time.

By the way Petro - those GTK turbos from Turbonetics came with the compressor housing coated in black chrome and the turbine housing is ceramic coated. I bought them from a guy who tried to fit them in a C6 Corvette and scuffed the coating a little - but for less than 50% of retail I was willing to live with a little cosmetic blemish.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

I think you should've went with the Afco radiator..Although some more $$$ I bet it would be a better quality piece...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-1...tor,58270.html
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

So far this weekend I got the oil drains welded onto the oil pan and I finish welded the passenger side 2½" hot side pipe. I plan to work on the steering linkage tomorrow.

The oil drains are located 1" back from the front oil pan bolts - one on each side of the pan. I used -10AN weld-in fittings from Jegs. The picture shows it with a -10 straight hose end threaded on:
Name:  DSC_2660.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  70.5 KB

Here is my passenger hot pipe. Doesn't look like much, but I've got a lot of time in that stupid thing. The driver's side pipe is tacked together but still needs to be welded.
Name:  DSC_2666.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  43.9 KB

Quick Reply: 69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS