Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 / 4L65E Swap into a Buick T-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 09:18 AM
Teching In

Default LS2 / 4L65E Swap into a Buick T-Type

I didn't know if this was the place to start this thread but since it's an LS2 I thought it would fit.

I am getting rid of the little turbo v6 for the LS2. I'm doing this for several reasons.
1) More throttle responce/power out of turns.
2) More reliability.
3) Better parts availability.
4) Lighter! Yes, the LS2 is actually around 100lbs lighter than the 109 iron block with all it's accessories. This will ballance the weight out better in the car.

I'm new to this swap and the LS so I need as much info as possible on this. If you know of links or have any pointers it will be greatly appreciated! I need all I can get! lol

Now let me tell you guy's what my "Goals" are with this set up and what it will mainly be used for.

"Use" - Mostly as a driver with several Autocross's a year and a few road courses a year with an ocasional drag strip day. The oiling issue has me scared a little but I don't see a bunch of my pro-touring buddies having issues when on a road course. not too sure why, i'll have to ask...

I want it to sound good cam wise, exhaust wise! (I already have dual stainless steel 3" exhaust)

"Power goals" - Just want around 450-500 rwhp for the straights/drag strip (ocasionally). (small nitrous shot?)

"Fuel" I already have a Red's XP+ (walbro) fuel pump with a hot wire kit that is holding up great to 24 lbs of boost right now so I think I should be fine with that.

Some have already told me my 2004r trans will fit up to the LS2. What do you guys recomend? Keep my 2004r or go with a 4L65E?

Well here is the car thats getting the swap!

Here is a Auto-X video from 3 wks ago..
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Gorgeous looking car man...if you want to do the LS2/200R4 set up you will need a way to mechanically kickdown the transmission. You will also need to get the proper adapters for the flexplate/converter interface. I am pretty sure you will have to go to a drive by cable set-up in order to integrate the 2004R properly.

More than likely you coudl just grab a drop out from a GTO with everything you need to do the swap.

Good luck!
Dave
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Gorgeous looking car man...if you want to do the LS2/200R4 set up you will need a way to mechanically kickdown the transmission. You will also need to get the proper adapters for the flexplate/converter interface. I am pretty sure you will have to go to a drive by cable set-up in order to integrate the 2004R properly.

More than likely you coudl just grab a drop out from a GTO with everything you need to do the swap.

Good luck!
Dave
Thanks for the compliment Dave,

I had no idea about the 2004r issues related to this swap, some just told me I could use the 2004r but never stated what had to be done..Thanks!

I will most likely buy a complete drop out from a GTO and be done with it. Will this be the easyiest route to go as far as hooking everything up and getting it to work?

Scot W.
Old 10-05-2010 | 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Car is gorgeous, gl with the swap and ill keep my eye on this one.
Old 10-05-2010 | 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Verz
Car is gorgeous, gl with the swap and ill keep my eye on this one.
(Verz) Thanks for the compliment!

Soon I hope to put up all my Buick turbo stuff for sale and then it's time to buy the LS stuff!!

I would also trade all my Buick turbo stuff for all the "Right" LS stuff if anyone is interested?

Here is a list of what I will be selling/trading:

1) Built 109 engine: K-1 (H-beam) rods, ported stock heads, ported stock intake, 55lb injectors, adj fuel regulator, 3'' down Pipe.

2) Built 2004r trans: shift kit, billet servo, .500 boost valves, Alto clutches, shift kit, (2 years old)

3) 10" Pro-torque 2800 Non Lock up converter, Fins welded up, Spragless (4mo. old)

4) Alky control Methanol injection kit (less than a year old)

5) Polished aluminum Front mount Inter cooler & pipes

Total cost of all this is right at $6,000
Old 10-05-2010 | 03:07 PM
Launching!

Hey scott I didnt know you in here. Good luck with what you doing ,I just finish up my 67 Chevelle with LS1 and 4L60 tranny great motor. I still have the 6.0 and 4L80E and will go in one of my GN

Lenny
P.S maybe you could make me one of the fender thing for my Chevelle as well
Old 10-05-2010 | 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lamdenali
Hey scott I didnt know you in here. Good luck with what you doing ,I just finish up my 67 Chevelle with LS1 and 4L60 tranny great motor. I still have the 6.0 and 4L80E and will go in one of my GN

Lenny
P.S maybe you could make me one of the fender thing for my Chevelle as well
Lenny,

No problem on the Fender cover my friend!

Is that 6.0 engine you have Aluminum?

Scot W.
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

beautiful car man!
Old 10-06-2010 | 01:50 AM
On The Tree

That's a beautiful car

There is a gbody swap thread in here that has a lot of useful information. I haven't really found a good tech forum with these swaps being done. There's a couple different places for motor mounts and stuff like that. I just got a set from eBay that you bolt to your block and use SBC motors mounts. Should work out pretty nice.

As far as the 200R4 i would just get a GTO take out and be done with it, you won't have to worry about spacers and kick downs. With the GTO take out you know everything was meant to work together.

I'm currently swapping an LY6/4l80E and TC76MM turbo in a 87 GN roller i picked up that was already minus the engine and tranny.
Old 10-06-2010 | 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toyin
That's a beautiful car

There is a gbody swap thread in here that has a lot of useful information. I haven't really found a good tech forum with these swaps being done. There's a couple different places for motor mounts and stuff like that. I just got a set from eBay that you bolt to your block and use SBC motors mounts. Should work out pretty nice.

As far as the 200R4 i would just get a GTO take out and be done with it, you won't have to worry about spacers and kick downs. With the GTO take out you know everything was meant to work together.

I'm currently swapping an LY6/4l80E and TC76MM turbo in a 87 GN roller i picked up that was already minus the engine and tranny.
I have found some threads and read everything. I'm just doing my home work right now compiling as much info as I can so it's done right the first time.

I have a buddy locally that has been into these LS engines ever since they came out and he said he will help me with this so I think it should turn out pretty good..

Does anyone have any Does & Don'ts for us?

Thanks for all the compliments!
Scot W.
Old 10-06-2010 | 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DAMNIT - I did see this car at RTTH....

I was there in this:

Your car sounds mean - cant wait to see it with an LS motor in it!!
Old 10-06-2010 | 11:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by landon
Lenny,

No problem on the Fender cover my friend!

Is that 6.0 engine you have Aluminum?

Scot W.
No Scott it's an Iron block
Old 10-06-2010 | 10:57 PM
On The Tree

You don't happen to have a couple more pictures of your car do ya? Nothing special just differnt angles or maybe some interior pictures?
Old 10-07-2010 | 08:54 AM
Teching In

fantastic looking car man, can't wait to see how she turns out
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:00 AM
On The Tree

You can make the 200r4 work, but a 4LxxE would probably be better, especially if you're already using a harness and computer from a auto car.

I've seen a thread where a guy ran the trans kickdown to the pedal and made a bracket to make it work correctly. That's about all I can imagine you can do with a DBW setup, as that's the only location there is a physical movement from the foot pedal (other than the throttle blade, and as far as I know there's no way to make that work).

I wonder if anyone has hooked some sort of servo to that cable based on an output from the TAC module... even if there was, sounds kinda hoaky.

Nice car man! Good luck with the swap.
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Beautiful car! I love the Buick Grand Nationals/T-Types. Too bad your getting rid of the turbo-6, I know how you feel though on the difficulty in finding parts. My friend has an 87 Grand National and he's always telling me how hard it is to find things or this part was discontinued. A real shame really, enjoy the LS2 swap. It is very torquey even with the stock cam! If your still looking for an engine, why not get an LS3? If you can score an engine/trans at a descent price it'll be worth it.
Old 10-09-2010 | 08:07 AM
Teching In

That is one sweet car ,hey what are those wheels,and the size
Old 10-09-2010 | 09:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdutzel
That is one sweet car ,hey what are those wheels,and the size
Thanks!

Those are CCW Classic's. They are a 3-piece wheel and the sizes are:

Front: 18"x 9.5"
Rear: 18" x 10"

Scot W.
Old 10-09-2010 | 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Landon

Thats a sweet ride. Was the DSE suspension a big improvement over stock?
Old 10-09-2010 | 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Landon

Thats a sweet ride. Was the DSE suspension a big improvement over stock?
HUGE improvement!!! Worth every penny if you ask me..

SW.

Quick Reply: LS2 / 4L65E Swap into a Buick T-Type