Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Five GTM..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010 | 12:19 AM
Launching!

Don't get me wrong the RCR kits are nice cars. However what you do give up is the availability of parts from a number of sources. Since the FF GTM is based off the vette donor concept you have an abundance of parts available to you. For example if something gets tweaked in the billet suspension of the RCR guess where you have to go? Yep that's right. Back to RCR. Or unless you have a lathe laying around..

Tails
Old 10-16-2010 | 12:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deuce4935
When it comes to kit cars, I still drool over the car from the old tv series "Hardcastle&McCormick", anyone remember that one?
Yeah I loved that car when I was a kid..

Tails
Old 10-16-2010 | 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

If I was looking to buy a $50k car I would get the gtm over bout anything (except the Ariel atom).
Old 01-08-2011 | 10:08 PM

Just want to through something out there for anyone interested in having a GTM built. We are a custom shop in the midwest and are considering becoming a FF GTM builder. I am willing to build one for someone for the cost of parts/supplies + 10%. I want the opportunity to build one before I go all out in investing in this endeavor. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail to chris@comerzrs.com. You can view our work on FB, look under comerz rod shop. Our new website will be up and running by the end of the month, but our old one is still operational, although outdated. It is www.comerzcustomz.com I appreciate anyone's consideration.
Old 01-09-2011 | 08:15 AM
Teching In

the red car above is a Mc-Laren M6B replica,

originals had a scoop in the nose section to let air of the rad out of the nose cone.
Old 01-09-2011 | 09:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T70 spider
the red car above is a Mc-Laren M6B replica,
Yep.

Old 02-13-2013 | 06:46 AM
Teching In

Funny thing about that picture is. When my SLC was on the trailer, somebody came by and said he seen one these before, but it said Coyote on the windshield. Though a slight resemblance,, I was like, yeah, this isn't the car from Hardcastle and McCormick
Old 02-13-2013 | 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tails8
Don't get me wrong the RCR kits are nice cars. However what you do give up is the availability of parts from a number of sources. Since the FF GTM is based off the vette donor concept you have an abundance of parts available to you. For example if something gets tweaked in the billet suspension of the RCR guess where you have to go? Yep that's right. Back to RCR. Or unless you have a lathe laying around..

Tails
The show "Gearz" on Speed TV has been doing an SLC build...

I've seen threads from both sides...on the FF and RCR forums...with some of them owners of both cars.

Seems that the RCR SLC is a better handling car on the track than the GTM from all reports. The explanation I heard is that the Corvette suspension would have been a compromise...and the rear would have needed to be custom anyway because of the way the G50/Mendeola/Ricardo transaxles mounted in the car. Better to make it the way you want than compromise the build.

What I really liked about RCR's strategy is they let you either buy everything up front ($43k) or you can do it in stages as you have funds available to spread it out over time. For a budget builder, it makes the hit in the wallet less painful.

It also seems that there is a LOT less fabrication work needed on the SLC. The GTM is very labor intensive...

Both cars look killer! But, in the end I think I'd lean towards the SLC more...
Old 03-13-2013 | 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Not a GTM, but it does have an LS in it! I have a little over 30K in it.

Old 03-14-2013 | 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

The GTM, alongside with their Cobra Daytona replica, is one of my realistic dream cars. Would love to build one with an LSX 454 on it. Then again, the durability of most components could be a concern. Is the Porsche tranny known for holding well LS-type torque?
Old 03-14-2013 | 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King's Z
The GTM, alongside with their Cobra Daytona replica, is one of my realistic dream cars. Would love to build one with an LSX 454 on it. Then again, the durability of most components could be a concern. Is the Porsche tranny known for holding well LS-type torque?
I agree on your engine choice, that's what I have for my FFR roadster.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Five GTM..-imgp3192.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013 | 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by King's Z
Is the Porsche tranny known for holding well LS-type torque?
Not really! That is the weakest point of the car. The fact that it has a huge rear weight bias and lots of traction does not help with trans longevity.

The TKO however will take alot of abuse. My Daytona has a 48% Front and 52% rear weight bias so not quite as much traction. The stock LS I am running just spins the 315 Kumho's up to 70 mph and 3rd gear so traction is a problem.
Old 03-14-2013 | 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd take the SLC over the GTM. The GTM design just screams amateur designed kit car to me. It's not bad looking, but there's just something about it that is a hair off.

Local guy was building one and brought it to the local car hangout. At 6' 4" I couldn't even sit in it (The FFR GTM that is).

Or I'd get an Ultima GTR for a racecar.

Old 03-14-2013 | 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gnx7

There is another car called an RCR SLC that even though the cost of entry is higher $40-45K it comes with better billet CnC'd suspension
All that bling, and they put it all together with two-piece steel on steel $12 ebay heims

Quick Reply: Factory Five GTM..