Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make a LS3 conversion an not lose any dash, ABS, OBDII ect functions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a LS3 conversion an not lose any dash, ABS, OBDII ect functions?

Hello LStech,
I have been researching all the steps and necessary parts to make a LS1 to LS3 conversion in my 1999 Z28 Camaro(6sp Man). I am doing this to get a good estimate the total cost without encountering any expensive surprises.
One issue still eludes me: What type of wiring solution allows me to run the motor (and this is the the issue I don't have an answer for) retain all of the dashboard functionins,the OBDII, the ABS, AC, Lights, all my power accessories etc.Do I run 2 ECU's and 2 wiring harnesses: one for the motor function and one for the dashboard functioning,the OBDII, the ABS, AC, Lights, all power accessories etc.

Does anyone know of a business or company that specializes in ECU and custom harness for this type of conversion?

All informed input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pocket may be able to chime in on this one, but I believe the wiring and everything is nearly the same. You may have to swap Crank sensor, and maybe a few other things but it shouldn't be as hard as you're making it.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you want to do this in a straightforward way you will need to convert the 58X electronic TB LS3 to a 24X cable TB and run the LS3 with the LS1 PCM. The 24X conversion either needs the crank reluctor changed or use a Lingenfelter 58 > 24X convertor unit.

etc...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

someone should make a sticky thread on how to do this..... oh wait https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

Ya... that should cover it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Do NOT use the Lingenfelter box!!

It looks great until you drive it for a while. I did it, had constant stalling problems. The unit would get hot, go into protect, die, and not restart until it cooled down. It even did this after I moved it into the car's cabin. Lingenfelter blows on this. Every single one of these my shop did had the same problem and LPE did nothing about it.

The LS3 is awesome, my cam only jobbie put down 465/440 SAE on a dynojet and got 25 MPG highway. Either swap reluctor wheels or change gauges and don't worry about it.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Do NOT use the Lingenfelter box!!

It looks great until you drive it for a while. I did it, had constant stalling problems. The unit would get hot, go into protect, die, and not restart until it cooled down. It even did this after I moved it into the car's cabin. Lingenfelter blows on this. Every single one of these my shop did had the same problem and LPE did nothing about it.

The LS3 is awesome, my cam only jobbie put down 465/440 SAE on a dynojet and got 25 MPG highway. Either swap reluctor wheels or change gauges and don't worry about it.
They (LPE) certainly suffered from gross denial on their issues with the initial run of these convertors and the "fail" rate was high.

Then they discovered as they were running the power out of the ECM 5V sensor supply that they were overloading the ECM 5V power it (the ECM) would go into overload protection and shut the supply down. Since they switched to an external power source it has been reported to be running AOK.

Certainly switching the reluctor wheel to a 24X is the best solution.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or run the proper computer and wire it in with electronic throttle.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Or run the proper computer and wire it in with electronic throttle.
yeah or not, since the gauges wont work that way. Maybe u could find a sticky about how to do this....... oh wait someone already posted the sticky above, oh well ill post it again https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html
Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

The gauges will work just fine. With the right computer (E67) the right programming, and the right wiring, everything will work just fine.

Guys are swapping these engines in to 95/96 Corvettes, Impalas, and S-10 trucks with the 58x computers and keeping all of the factory gauges, ABS, cruise etc., so what is so much more complex about the F-body?

Last edited by Jones'n; 10-20-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

The gauges will work just fine. With the right computer (E67) the right programming, and the right wiring, everything will work just fine.

Guys are swapping these engines in to 95/96 Corvettes, Impalas, and S-10 trucks with the 58x computers and keeping all of the factory gauges, ABS, cruise etc., so what is so much more complex about the F-body?
im all ears to hear how u plan on gettin the gauges to work with the ls3 computer in an 99-02 f-body, specifically the speedometer and the tachometer, obviously the coolant temp, fuel gauge, and voltmeter will work with little to no modification and possibly the oil pressure gauge may work, but im not sure on oil pressure gauge. But back to the the speedometer and tachometer, i haven't seen one gen VI computer in a 99-02 with working stock f-body guages. maybe im completely overlooking something here, but im pretty sure im not otherwise i would have used a E67 computer in my 2001 trans am when i swapped my ls3 in. But i maybe be missing something completely so please fill me in
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of feel like the guy who did the swap is probably right I don't see why people are saying he is wrong?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
I kind of feel like the guy who did the swap is probably right I don't see why people are saying he is wrong?
right? and if you can use the e67 computer and have your gauges work. Why is that it seems like no one who has swapped a LS2, LS3, or LS7 into an 98-02 f-body use the e67 computer? instead they buy all the wiring extensions, have to go through swapping reluctor wheels or take there chances with the 58x to 24x lingenfelter box. and switch to the cable driven throttle body.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Why wouldnt your gauges work? Its a LSx for LSx swap, not like you're crossing brands

Its a GEN III to GEN IV swap, do the cam, MAP, knock connector moves and solve the 24x to 58x crank signal then it's golden. Personally, Id swap the crank reluctor to 24x and run your old sensors on the new engine for simplicity. That way, your only wiring changes are relocating a few sensors that changed in the generation shift. If you dont change the new injectors the connectors will also have to switch from EV1 to EV6
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pocket
Why wouldnt your gauges work? Its a LSx for LSx swap, not like you're crossing brands

Its a GEN III to GEN IV swap, do the cam, MAP, knock connector moves and solve the 24x to 58x crank signal then it's golden. Personally, Id swap the crank reluctor to 24x and run your old sensors on the new engine for simplicity. That way, your only wiring changes are relocating a few sensors that changed in the generation shift. If you dont change the new injectors the connectors will also have to switch from EV1 to EV6
I think you miss the point, we were talking about using the gen IV computer in the f-body, of course if u do everything u just listed and use the 99-02 f-body computer all the gauges will work. That was the point i was trying to get across. That is exactly what i did for my ls3 swap.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
right? and if you can use the e67 computer and have your gauges work. Why is that it seems like no one who has swapped a LS2, LS3, or LS7 into an 98-02 f-body use the e67 computer? instead they buy all the wiring extensions, have to go through swapping reluctor wheels or take there chances with the 58x to 24x lingenfelter box. and switch to the cable driven throttle body.
Because they saw an article in GMHTP saying it is impossible to do it any other way.

The E67 computer has a speedo, tach, and class 2 serial data output that can all be used to operate an F-body cluster.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Because they saw an article in GMHTP saying it is impossible to do it any other way.

The E67 computer has a speedo, tach, and class 2 serial data output that can all be used to operate an F-body cluster.
please share, im very interested in how to this. im all about running a e67 computer in f-body and have working gauges, but there is no wright up on how to do it, im sure im not the only one this would help.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Well, the installation wouldn't be any different as far as mounts, accessories, etc.
On the wiring side of it, I would think Speartech, or we use Current Performance, could make a harness for the car to run the right computer and take care of the programming.
It would probably be easier to get a new harness then to try and modify the LS1 harness for the new computer.
Then, plug it all in, hook up the electronic pedal, and go.
Like I said, it is a matter of just connecting the singals from the computer, to the right places on the car's wiring. All the signals are there from the E67... speedo, tach, Class 2, fans, etc.

If you really are the hard core do-it-yourselfer, you could buy the connectors and pins for the E67 computer, and then cut all the wires from the LS1 computer, move them to the E67 connectors, change the injector plugs, lengthen the cam wiring, knock sensor wiring, change the crank connector, and wire in the electronic throttle pedal and TB.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for taking the time and effort to comment.

Current Performance Wiring, Speed Scene Wiring and Speartech your input would welcomed on this particular thread.

Regards,

LS3"

Quick Reply: How to make a LS3 conversion an not lose any dash, ABS, OBDII ect functions?