Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That damage is gonna be a bitch to fix. To my knowledge that buddy club kit is not a replacement bumper but a bumper that bonds over the stock one. Good luck with the fix.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
That damage is gonna be a bitch to fix. To my knowledge that buddy club kit is not a replacement bumper but a bumper that bonds over the stock one. Good luck with the fix.
Nope, it's a complete fiberglass piece, not a mold-over. Racing Beat Type II nose. There is not a stock nose under there that I am aware of. New one should be here sometime next week.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Fuel System Research

Research Progress:

Fuel System - Found this handly PDF that shows all the Dorman parts you may need for non-AN fitting distribution:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...uyersGuide.pdf

This thread discusses the AN stuff:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...er-source.html

which has this nice drawing:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12827625-post6.html

I won't be doing AN fittings, I am going to go the much more affordable factory nylon stuff (same as I did on the LT1 RX7, which worked awesome and looks factory.. plus I have some left over parts that I can use) but it gives you an idea of how to do it. I'll detail out the nylon setup once I get it done.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyman
Research Progress:I won't be doing AN fittings, I am going to go the much more affordable factory nylon stuff (same as I did on the LT1 RX7, which worked awesome and looks factory.. plus I have some left over parts that I can use) but it gives you an idea of how to do it. I'll detail out the nylon setup once I get it done.
Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough that day but I wasn't able to get the nylon stuff to make what I felt was a secure connection for 60 PSI of fuel. I used the metal quick disconnects and fuel injection rated rubber hose with smooth fuel injection hose clamps.

I agree the AN stuff is priced out of this world and would have blown my budget sky high just on fittings - then you have to buy hose!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough that day but I wasn't able to get the nylon stuff to make what I felt was a secure connection for 60 PSI of fuel. I used the metal quick disconnects and fuel injection rated rubber hose with smooth fuel injection hose clamps.

I agree the AN stuff is priced out of this world and would have blown my budget sky high just on fittings - then you have to buy hose!
It took a lot of patience to do mine, and took a few tries. Has worked flawlessly for 7k miles on that car, though. Pricing out the bits, it's not much cheaper than AN but the line is so overall a savings.

Build Progress:

Parts Ordered- Ordered the following this AM, should be here end of week/early next week:

19155066 - GMPP Accessory kit
89017592 - CTS-V Waterpump
15306009 - Alternator wiring plug
88953303 - AC Compressor wiring plug

Total $1036.20 at my local dealer.

Parts Received- Racing Beat bumper came today, looks good.

Unboxed all the FM stuff, looking pretty good.. hope to have some photos up once I get back from a 3 day out of state work trip.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Build Progress:

Organization- Spent my hours sitting in various airports over the last 3 days creating a master "To Do" list.. hits all the major points of what needs to be done, and it is bloody long. It should help me to keep organized on the sequencing of tasks, and keep track of things that were started but not finished. Most certainly a living document. It did this on the RX7 and it was helpful for watching progress, and for those "Oh, I gotta add this to the list" moments. Plus, as you walk through the job in your mind you think of small details that will screw with schedule, like I have the oil pan, but forgot to order the remote oil filter line fittings!

Parts Shipped- Another box coming out of FM, and V8R may ship today/tomorrow.

Parts Received- Crank pulley arrived, B&M shifter arrived.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is looking great. You ought to cross post over on NoRotors.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have a clue how it sounds but my engine builder was going to have a custom grind cam similar to a LSA grind. He builds road race/ GTA seres motors and said this cam would have been perfect. He would need an old cam for a core. His name is Lee Schwartz and he owns Flowtech Racing in Fletcher, NC 828-775-8886. Tell him Bryan from Colorado sent you. I believe he is still in Florida at the PRI show. Call him next week
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
This is looking great. You ought to cross post over on NoRotors.
Thanks, DS! I'm already cross posting to Miata.net, but yeah, norotors might be good too... (tho it didn't have a rotory to begin with!). Sucks, I am starting over as a newbie there since the whole V8RX7Forum mess I kinda wish I would have done a build thread of the 91 vert I did, but after losing the whole T2 thread @ V8RX7F, it soured me on it. May just post a pic only thread just for giggles, the car really did come out quite nicely I think. (that would fix my lack of post count issdue, too... hmmm...)

Didn't I buy that T2 roller from you 2 years ago?? No, wait, that was Azar... regardless, finally got rid of it (as a roller again, ha! Buyers are going to ice race it - nutty college kids), down to just one 7 now. Spent the day today throwing out a couple of trash cans full of stock left over 7 parts, can't hardly give that crap away. Shame, but whatcha gonna do? Gotta make room for the LSx stuff.

Wallyman
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It took a lot of patience to do mine, and took a few tries. Has worked flawlessly for 7k miles on that car, though. Pricing out the bits, it's not much cheaper than AN but the line is so overall a savings.
I was kind of wondering about the cost issue. I may give it a go on the build after next... I tried it on the Thunderbird but that was my daily and time was beginning to be an issue as was money. As such, experimentation and searching wasn't going to cut it and I knew I could use rubber if I bought the right stuff. Somewhere I saw a tool just for the plastic line and I might look into adding that to my arsenal.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Let me know if you have any interior stuff, need a few things for my 7.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Build Progress:

Parts Ordered- Shandelle @ V8R was kind enough to sell me the clutch MC adapter plate alone so I can reuse the various bit I have.. sweet!

Disassembly- Rear subframe, Diffy, PPF all removed. Starting on the interior now.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Build Progress:

Disassembly- Wow, 7 years of ownership and mods.. what a rats-nest under the dash .. so many wires intertwined that I ended up just randomly cutting things to get the dash out. I forgot how much crap I stuffed under there:

Remote start/keyless entry/alarm
Mini siren for the alarm
Eight 30amp relays (plus 2 more in the console)
Link ECU switcher box
Link ECU datalogger box
Goodson idiot light controller box
Autometer FP gauge controller box
Radar sensor for alarm in the console
Impact for alarm

I'll post up some photos later tonight, it's probably quite comical when you aren't the poor guy trying to get the dash to come free! . Seats and dash are out, though!

Next up: HVAC and AC crap.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Build Progress:

Disassembly- Heater core, AC core, blower motor and 90% of Wally-nest removed. Hope to get the carpet out before calling it a day, been at it for 5.5 hours and I need to get some "real life" stuff done today too.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Build Progress:

Disassembly- Carpet is out, ECU is out, shell vacuumed up.. calling it for today. Goal was to get the rear/PPF and interior out: Goal met!

Photos coming later tonight!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Disassembly- Rear subframe, Diffy, PPF all removed. Starting on the interior now.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Disassembly- Wow, 7 years of ownership and mods.. what a rats-nest under the dash .. so many wires intertwined that I ended up just randomly cutting things to get the dash out. I forgot how much crap I stuffed under there:

Remote start/keyless entry/alarm
Mini siren for the alarm
Eight 30amp relays (plus 2 more in the console)
Link ECU switcher box
Link ECU datalogger box
Goodson idiot light controller box
Autometer FP gauge controller box
Radar sensor for alarm in the console
Impact for alarm

Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all comes out...

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another view of the under-dash mayhem.... it was ugly!!

Quick Reply: The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata