Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

classy car, i have one just like this in primer ready to swap my ls2.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The Comp Cams Hi-Tech hardened pushrods came today. Part number 7795 in 7.375"
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-pushrods.jpg  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice thread.

Couple of things
1. What size of converter were you gonna run?
2. Those pushrods seems short for this combo. Did you measure for these?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nice thread.

Couple of things
1. What size of converter were you gonna run?
2. Those pushrods seems short for this combo. Did you measure for these?
The converter is in my signature. It is a 2400 rpm 11" stall. (basically a stock Grand National torque converter).

As for the pushrods, I was quite surprised to see factory preload on this engine at .130". After installing the new camshaft, I used the comp cams pushrod checker to determine the appropriate length to obtain .080" - .100" preload. Here is a thread that I started on my findings and choosing the correct pushrods:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-preload.html

In searching for tidy solution to the air bleed line configuration, I found this nice little set up in another build thread. It is already made and at a great price ($38):

This company also solved another problem for me. The LQ9 coolant outlet pipe is 1 5/16" and my radiator is 1 9/16". Jags that Run also makes transitional cooling system tee/bleeder assemblies. So, I just ordered a 1 5/16" x 1 9/16" x 1/4" bleeder and viola! Problems solved.

Here is where to get it:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...g_LSI-tee.html

Now, if the local auto parts store will just let me dig through their hoses til' I find just the right ones.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant wait to see it finished.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
cant wait to see it finished.
All we are waiting on at this point is the Mast oil pan. The latest promise date is the week of Christmas. I have been trying to be as thorough as possible and I think I have everything except for hoses. I am anxious to experience what all the LSX hubub is about.

I picked up the LS6 valley cover today. Many threads I have read say these do a much better job of controlling oil in the PCV system and reduce oil consumption. I am all for that.

A note for LQ4/LQ9 guys contemplating the LS6 valley cover: My iron block did not require the cutting that has been noted by some of the LS1 guys who have done the conversion. The valley cover was a drop-in replacement.

I will tell you that these valley covers are damn heavy. It weighs over 3 pounds.

Mast posted on their Facebook page that 15 oil pans will be ready for shipping the end of next week! So, I called and put down my money. Chris at Mast said the pan utilized the LS3 dipstick as used in the 2010 and up Camaros. So, I will need to order that assembly tomorrow.

That is the last piece of the puzzle for me. Once that pan arrives, I can start the swap anytime.

Now, I just have to decide if I am going to buy the BRP mid-length headers. I looked over the factory manifolds and they are actually pretty impressive for a factory piece. And, both of them together only weigh 27 lbs. I just don't know that there is that much to be gained for $500.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ls6-valley-cover.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Mast posted on their Facebook page that 15 oil pans will be ready for shipping the end of next week! So, I called and put down my money. Chris at Mast said the pan utilized the LS3 dipstick as used in the 2010 and up Camaros. So, I will need to order that assembly tomorrow.

That is the last piece of the puzzle for me. Once that pan arrives, I can start the swap anytime.

Now, I just have to decide if I am going to buy the BRP mid-length headers. I looked over the factory manifolds and they are actually pretty impressive for a factory piece. And, both of them together only weigh 27 lbs. I just don't know that there is that much to be gained for $500.
Oh but there is.... Do some researching and you will see that there are substantial gains from a free-er flowing exhaust. Now if you had some LS7 manifolds then you wouldnt need to bother with headers.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Oh but there is.... Do some researching and you will see that there are substantial gains from a free-er flowing exhaust. Now if you had some LS7 manifolds then you wouldnt need to bother with headers.
If you have some dyno numbers that show a direct comparison between the BRP mid-length headers and LQ4/LQ9 truck manifolds, I will definitely look at it. If not, here is a magazine article you may find interesting:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...o_numbers.html

For the record, I don't want to get into a long tube vs mid-tube vs short tube header discussion on this build thread. There are plenty of those epic threads already.

I have chosen not to go with long tubes for this build because the best long tubes I have seen for 64/65 A-bodies are the Edelbrocks and from what I have seen in person, I do not care for the ground clearance or the inability to service the starter without removing the right header. That is the reason I am considering the mid-length design. And, BRP seems to be the only player for mid-length 64/65 A-body headers.

Last edited by speedtigger; 01-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

What rearend are you using?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by crankstart
What rearend are you using?
I am using the Corporate 10 bolt 8.5" out of a 71 Skylark. You can see my entire build parts list in this post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/14092457-post13.html

A little bump in the parts progress today. I was waiting for my Derale 16789 fan controller to be shipped from the manufacturer this week. However, I found out today, that the product is "still in development". Say what?

Summit sold me a part that did not even exist yet! They told me they are expecting it to be done around the end of January.

So, I cancelled that order and I am back on the business of selecting a new fan control system for my Taurus fan. I need a set up that can handle the amperage draw of the Taurus fan, can control both fan speeds and have an override for the air conditioning once it is added.

I could probably build one out of regular auto parts stores relays if I had a good diagram/design to work from.

Painless wiring has a solution, but it is $250 bux.

Decisions decisions.

I am thinking about just building a fan control system out of off the shelf relays. Texas Industrial Electric offered this design diagram as a solution:

Well, I guess old school guys can have a cold air kit too. I don't know if I will run this all the time, maybe just track days. But, I bought this Spectre ram air kit so damn cheap on ebay, I could not pass it up!

After a lot of deliberation, I have chosen to go with the Painless Wiring fan controller system #PRF-30141. While I would have preferred to use a relay set up made from off the shelf parts, but the simplicity of this system won me over.

The feature that sunk the deal for me was the fact that it utilizes the factory temperature sensor. Other features include: soft on, variable speed and built in provisions for a/c and a manual overide. Now I don't have to drill the heads or the water pump for switches. It is expensive, but it is just too clean and easy.

Yesterday, I plumbed the on-engine portion of the fuel system. As you will notice, there are no high dollar fittings anywhere. I like my fuel systems the old school OEM way.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-2_speed_fan_relay_circuit_w_ac.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-ramair.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-img00425-20101215-1720.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-img00427-20101215-1725.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Enjoying the progress. I just spent like 400 on -an fititngs for all of my stuff, and you really have something with the less is more theme..

ill be going brass next time
Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you don't mind me asking what do the Mast swap pans cost? Also have you seen any pics? Been waiting for them also, and this is the first update I have heard about them.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
If you don't mind me asking what do the Mast swap pans cost? Also have you seen any pics? Been waiting for them also, and this is the first update I have heard about them.
The pan was $440 I think. I can't remember if that included the shipping. They also recommend an LS3 dipstick and dipstick tube which is not included. They cost about $ 40.00 for the pair. The best pictures of the pan are on their facebook page.

Today I plumbed hard lines for the LS6 PCV system and brake booster vacuum line on the engine. I had a request for some detailed pictures of the PCV set up, so here they are.

A nice little problem solving part that I found was the elbow that connects the PCV valve to the LS6 valley cover vent outlet. It is a Help product from Advanced Autoparts #46017. The package says that it is a replacement part for Ford part #F85Z-6C324-AA. The PCV valve itself is a common part similar to (if not the same as) the PCV that came factory on my 65. This particular part was bought from Auto Zone under the brand Luber Finer # PCV1134. But, I am pretty certain it is the same PCV valve GM used on most cars in the 60s and 70s.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ls6-pcv-carbureted.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ls6-pcv-carbureted2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ls6-pcv-carbureted3.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-brake-vacuum.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

gorgeous car..
Old 12-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Degreed the cam today. It was pretty close to dead on out of the box. The cam card says the ICL should be 110 degrees. My results said 110.5 degrees. The 1/2 of a degree could easily be margin of error. I decided to throw in 1 additional degree of advance for a final measured ICL of 109.5 degrees.

We are so close now. I just need that oil pan from Mast. Here is a picture with all the accessories installed except for the Power steering pump. The P/S pulley is there just for mock up purposes.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-assembled.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 AM
SMS
Staging Lane

Curious to see how this runs and how you like it. I am on the V8Buick site too. 455's are nice and they can run, but they are a weakly designed engine as far as serious high performance goes. I have thought if my 455 ever goes, a LS series or BBC motor may be in its future. They will hang me if I post that over there though! Good Luck! Post some video if you can when you get her running.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by SMS
Curious to see how this runs and how you like it. I am on the V8Buick site too. 455's are nice and they can run, but they are a weakly designed engine as far as serious high performance goes. I have thought if my 455 ever goes, a LS series or BBC motor may be in its future. They will hang me if I post that over there though! Good Luck! Post some video if you can when you get her running.
I love V8Buick.com. A lot of great guys and great information about our Buicks. But, I know I dropped off of the list of favorites when I announced I was going the LSX route.

My problem with the BBB is how much I know about them. Once you start considering a 455 build, you start remembering: core shift, valley webbing weakness, oiling revisions, deck height, block girdles and the crazy crazy parts costs.

Knowing all that and then hearing stories about guys buying junk yard LQs and LYs with just minor performance upgrades making 450 - 500hp makes it hard to justify dropping 10 grand on the BBB.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 AM
SMS
Staging Lane

I read your thread over there and knew you were fighting a losing battle LOL!

I had a 99 Z28 and it was an awesome car. Would run mid 12's and get 25 MPG. It was very difficult for me to work on though and I do have a taste for the classic iron so I sold it. Can't deny the LS series is the best bang for the buck there is.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Old School Heavy

One of the fun things I have learned about LS motors is the oil and temp sender ports have a new fangled metric thread system that is not compatible with most after-market gauge systems. So, today I went about the business of solving these problems.

First up was the oil sender. The solution that I came up with was to remove the factory sender and remove the guts so the that it could be drilled and tapped to 1/8" pipe thread. Now the old sender serves the roll as an adapter.

This partially solved the problem. My electrical sending unit is pretty large, so I needed to space it up a little. This was solved with 1 male to male 1/8" pipe union and 1 female to female 1/8" pipe union.

Here are a few pics of the new set up.

Next up was the water pump. The fun part about drilling and tapping the water pump is getting all of the aluminum shavings and chips out of the housing.

I pulled it from the motor of course, removed the pump cover and then drilled and tapped the housing on the bench. After the threads were done, I washed and blew out the housing through all of the ports repeatedly until I could detect no aluminum chips and/or shavings remaining.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-oil-sender1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-oil-sender2-.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-oil-sender3.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-water-sender.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Have a question about your brake set up. Im converting my 64 special to disc fronts also and was considering purchasing the kit from summit for $700. I do have a junk yard set up from a chevelle with spindles... Did you find it cheaper converting it yourself or should i go the summit route?

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread