Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro SS with LS/T56

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have been driving the car for a bit and I have a little problem. I do not get WOT with my pedal and Lokar cable. The problem seems to be the pedal and not the cable. With my foot down on the pedal, the throtle plate opens up maybe like half way if that. I have a brand new cable pedal. Other than cutting the bar that hooks up to the cable and making it shorter, is there anything else that I can do to bring the pedal out more so it has more travel?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a stock 6cyl 69 Camaro pedal? How much free play do you have in the cable? Can you pull back on the pedal as it is right now?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Launching!

yes its the same one you used. The cable is tight so as soon as i press the pedal it starts to open the plate. The pedal is to close to the mounting area and it bottoms out like half way. Looking at the Lokar throttle pedal, it looks like it comes out away further than the stock one. Shitttt looks like I have to spend more money....lol.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

What if you bend the pedal assembly so that the pedal is further from the floor and readjust the cable from there? That's weird how we used the same pedal, bracket, and cable and yours is limiting the throttle blade. It may be in the eccentric on the throttle body. It could be the padding in the carpet. I assume you have the cable connected to the very end of the pedal, correct?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Launching!

ya man I dont get it. I have to figure out how to modify the pedal somehow. I also flattened out the end of the pedal where the cable hooks up to so its straight and not an L shape. I think thats what made that bar too long. so when I get off the gas the pedal does not come out all the way.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sako.. how about a picture of the setup ?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Sako.. how about a picture of the setup ?
sure, i will take some pics tonight
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Smile

Here is a pic of mine if it helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the pic Tony.
Ok I kind of fixed the problem but it still does not open the plate completely. But the pedal travel is so much better. So what I did was, I had to make a spacer to go between the fire wall and the cable bolt that slides in from the engine side. Looking at Tonys picture and my picture with the red arrow you can see what Im talking about. That bolt part was going to far inside the firewall and causing the pedal attachment to long and bottoming out. By making that shorter, the pedal has about 3/4" more travel. If I can get another 1/8" more travel that would be perfect.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Here is a picture with the drawing of the fire wall(RED LINE) and the spacer (GREEN BOX).

Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the same pedal setup on my Nova (should be the same as a 1st gen tho), I guess I have been check to see if I am getting WOT ... Well let you know what I have..

Since I am not on the road with my Nova. .I have not really check for these types of issue yet.

BC
Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

I have the same pedal setup on my Nova (should be the same as a 1st gen tho), I guess I have been check to see if I am getting WOT ... Well let you know what I have..

Since I am not on the road with my Nova. .I have not really check for these types of issue yet.

BC
If you have the same setup you will probably have the same issue. Its a simple fix to put a spacer or another nut on the other side so you can adjust it without taking the whole thing out just to change the size of the spacer.I did not put a nut on it because I did not have time to go out and look for one. Also, I did not want to mess up the thread by putting a metal nut on aluminum bolt.
By the way, the Nova is looking bad ***. Just went through the whole thread yesterday at work....haha
Good luck you are almost there.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sako, just check to see if I am getting WOT and I am. My TB is the later one with the larger CAM on it.

One thing I did was that I didn't connect the cable like you did.. I pulled the cable out of the casing, then ran the cable through the eyelet of the pedal and then into the cable housing. That way the rod wa completely against the firewall opening when the pedal was released and the throttle was closed.

No need for the spacer like you are trying to use .

I did this on my Chevelle and that has been almost 7 years with out any wear on the cable or any problems.

BC
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Sako, just check to see if I am getting WOT and I am. My TB is the later one with the larger CAM on it.

One thing I did was that I didn't connect the cable like you did.. I pulled the cable out of the casing, then ran the cable through the eyelet of the pedal and then into the cable housing. That way the rod wa completely against the firewall opening when the pedal was released and the throttle was closed.

No need for the spacer like you are trying to use .

I did this on my Chevelle and that has been almost 7 years with out any wear on the cable or any problems.

BC
Oh ok, thats great. I guess that would have worked if I did not modify the end of the pedal. I have a stock TB, so it take a lot of cable travel to pull it back all the way to WOT. Thanks for the info BCZEE, you the man.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have a TB with a small or larger Cable cam ?.. maybe try one with a small cam (early f-body TB)?

Guess you can try and shorten the pedal arm to allow more cable travel. Hope you figure out something without too much work.

BC
Old 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Do you have a TB with a small or larger Cable cam ?.. maybe try one with a small cam (early f-body TB)?

Guess you can try and shorten the pedal arm to allow more cable travel. Hope you figure out something without too much work.

BC
Its a stock 02 F-body TB. It takes a lot of cable travel to pull the plate all the way to WOT. Its almost there but I think I will just drive it like this for a bit.
The next step will be to shorten the bar or bend it back and weld it for extra strength. I will fix it before I get a dyno.
Thenks for the info BCZEE, you the man.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Here is a video of the exhaust sound.
2.5 stainless steel Magnaflow system with QTP SS cutout pipes. I dont have the electric cutouts yet and this video is with the plates off. Kind of loud at idle and really loud while howling a$$.
I will get another video with the cutouts closed. Its too quiet and sounds stock at idle but when you get on it, it sound really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umHx...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

The Camaro sounds great! Bet the neighbors love it, lol!! The beauty of the cutouts. What brand of cutouts did you buy?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sako
Here is a video of the exhaust sound.
2.5 stainless steel Magnaflow system with QTP SS cutout pipes. I dont have the electric cutouts yet and this video is with the plates off. Kind of loud at idle and really loud while howling a$$.
I will get another video with the cutouts closed. Its too quiet and sounds stock at idle but when you get on it, it sound really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umHx...ature=youtu.be
LOVE the video Sako! Congratulations again for getting the car running. That is a stock cam etc. correct? If so, that is exactly how my car will sound, I want to get 2.5" magnaflow on my car when the time comes. I might go with Doug Thorley electric cut outs on mine. Thanks for posting that video, it is motivation for those of us still working on our projects. As a side note, how do you like the power? Is it what you thought it would be? Torque good on the street? 6 Speed on the highway? Any other information would be good.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tsnow678
The Camaro sounds great! Bet the neighbors love it, lol!! The beauty of the cutouts. What brand of cutouts did you buy?
Tony,
The cutout y pipes are stainless steel QTP. Im saving up for the actual electric dual QTP cutouts. Right now I just took off the plates to pi$$ off the neighbors for a bit...lol. No, my neighbors are cool except the guy across the street. The guy next to him has a bas a$$ 68 Chevelle that is loud as heck. But he only takes it out once a year...lol, what a waist.

Quick Reply: 69 camaro SS with LS/T56