Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro SS with LS/T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats one place ive always sprung for new aftermarket ones cause it seemed like good insurance; that being said, it was always for an aftermarket cam too. i do remember them being 7.4", so it does sound like theyd be interchangable, but i dont know that off the top of my head.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks Irish350
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

definitely

this build gives me motivation; it reminds me of my old elco (your old engine) and my mustang project (ls/brakes/etc), plus its a really similar color to my TA in the second pic

but ive been following and learning here and there so if i can give some i will
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sako,

Nice car man. It will be awesome. I am much deeper in a resto I can't afford along w/ the drive-train swap. I am sold on the LS1 Brakes and definitely would like to know where you found the brackets. I knew I saved my drum brakes for a reason... Also how does the 3rd Gen Box compare to the aftermarket AGR boxes? What is the ratio, turns lock to lock? How expensive are they?
Love the plan of getting your motor in and building a 6.0L. I'm thinking along the same lines, budget 6.0L w/ a T56 I already have, and swap in a 427ci short-block after I can save some $$$. Good luck with your project & keep the updates coming.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ad53030
Sako,

Nice car man. It will be awesome. I am much deeper in a resto I can't afford along w/ the drive-train swap. I am sold on the LS1 Brakes and definitely would like to know where you found the brackets. I knew I saved my drum brakes for a reason... Also how does the 3rd Gen Box compare to the aftermarket AGR boxes? What is the ratio, turns lock to lock? How expensive are they?
Love the plan of getting your motor in and building a 6.0L. I'm thinking along the same lines, budget 6.0L w/ a T56 I already have, and swap in a 427ci short-block after I can save some $$$. Good luck with your project & keep the updates coming.
Thanks for the compliments. The guys email address is rwhoag1969@verizon.net . I dont think he will mind if i post it on here. If i remember correctly, I paid like $60 shipped. My steering box is from autozone, I paid about 130 and you can return your old one for core. That is the 3rd gen box from a iroc camaro. It is 2.5 turns from lock to lock. I have not driven the car with the new box so i personally can not compare it to anything. But from what i see from other peoples results, it is like night and day. I hear good things about the AGR box too but its to much $ for my budget. Let me know if i can help, and good luck with your project. Do you have a link? i would love to check it out.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info man. No link or real pics yet other than a snapshot of it in my garage. The car is still ugly. Gathering parts at this point. Just moved from Austin, TX to San Jose, Ca and am going back to get the car in a couple of months once we're settled. I will definitely keep you updated.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Launching!

nice, welcome to Cali.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Question: I can get some stock 241 heads for a decent price. I want to know if I can use these STOCK heads with 02 ls6 cam and springs with the ls6 intake with no problem. Do i need to have the heads milled to bring up the compression? Please school me if this combo will work in the 5.3.
Thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the 241 heads have bigger combustion chambers than the 5.3 heads, from what I remember,
Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice build! I am about at the same stage as you with my 67 swap and I hope to have a thread going soon. I ran into the same problem as you with the floor pan except yours looks WAY better than mine did. You might get away with an angle grinder and some POR15 on that. You'd be surprised how much you can remove with a wire brush! If you need to cut and replace it's really not that hard. I had a cousin come by and do the finishing welds. I'll post pics of the job soon. Good luck with the build it's looking great!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

P.S. Are you in Northern or Southern Cali?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MisterD
P.S. Are you in Northern or Southern Cali?
Im in Souther Cali. East of LA.
When you get that thread up it will motivate you to progress and get it going.
I just cant wait for the weekends so i can get things done.
I think i will be ok with my floors. Just need to grind all that crap of and paint it. I will also like to put some dynamat on half of the floor, and do the rest later. I really do not feel like tearing more things out of the car...lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, a little update for you. I have not posted in a while because my project has come to a halt. I have been in and out of the hospital for the last two months for my wife who was diagnosed with MS (Multiple sclerosis). She is only 28 and at the starting stages of this devistating and progressive disease. Im trying to sell what parts i have, and maybe my 69 to pay for all the medication, hospital bills,and treatments. Her insurance sucks and we are stuck with most of the bills. There is also a new treatment called CCSVI (the liberation treatment). There is no cure for MS, but some doctors believe this might be it.
Im also doing a fundraiser for her to raise about $15000 for all the tests and treatment. If anyone cares or interested in donating please pm me to learn more about it. This has been really hard for me, my two kids and family and im trying to be strong. Im really sad about getting my car done, but nothing really matters more than my wives health. Thank you for reading.

Here is the link for my classified ad. If you are interested in anything thats not listed, please ask.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...cessories.html
Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Launching!

If you guys want to make offers on this car and all the parts that come with it, please email me at redsako@yahoo.com
I have about 30k in the car. some of the parts that were on the car are long gone like rims and tires, supercharger setup and the four speed M21. I have a lot of the parts for the LS swap including the new brakes, wheels and tires and other upgrades. Just missing some components for the engine to get this bad boy on the road again.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow ,sako!!!really sorry to hear!!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sako
I was thinking of doing a ls1 brake conversion on my 68 camaro that is running drum brakes at the moment, where did you purchase your ls1 conversion brackets and hardwhere... i already have the calipers. what spindles did you machine? drum or disc .. thanks for any help
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sako
Got the subframe painted.
New 3rd gen steering box and Lee's fittings and coupler.

Hey, I've finally bit into my project... i pulled the engine and remembered talking to bout the 3rd gen box... you said to pick it up from a local parts store.. well i was looking threw your build ... i was wanting to know what is so special about the coupler and fittings from lee's. Also, what steering arm did you run? thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Firehawk, I am not trying to hijack Sako's build thread but I am also in the process of the IROC swap and can share some info...
Here is the link to a great write up about the IROC conversion (with PNs).

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

I found the box at a local kragen for $116.00 and the MotorMite Part #31011 coupler for $54.99. I am still figuring out the hose options because I'm using the stock GM power steering pump from an 02SS Camaro. Not sure about the inverted flare thing. I believe the inserts from Lee are only if you are going to mate the new style steering box with the older model power steering pump. They have different flares for the hoses. An alternative to the inserts would be to have custom hoses made but that would probably cost more in the long run. Good luck with this as I hear it's a good upgrade
Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Thanks MisterD.

Hey man have you been to the Whittier Rub
ys cruz night yet? I have not been down there since my car took a ****.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem Sako! Have not made it to rubys yet... I will this summer for sure, also going to bring the truck to the uptown whittier show in August. let me know if you make that one.

Quick Reply: 69 camaro SS with LS/T56