Sponsored by:

Close to firing...just need help with a few details [diagrams included]

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Didn't have a chance to read all the post in detail but....

I had starter issues when i first started my motor. Test the starter off of the car. Connect the batter to the solenoid[smaller post] and you can watch it pop out. Then once its working, you can connect battery to the bigger post, and nothing should happen untill you connect to the smaller post. Then it should pop out and spin.

Hope that helps
I had fears of a burnt up starter last week, so that is when I had it tested. I had it off the car while fixing a wiring mistake & took it to Autozone for testing. I had accidentally attached my wire from the battery to the smaller post on the solenoid several years back when
doing the wiring, and it was that way until I just recently began trying to start the car. I got a burnt smell/hot wiring smell from the starter area the first couple of times I turned the key, so I knew something was wrong. Thinking I'd also burnt up the solenoid from my wiring mistake, I took it in for testing.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
'Bird Director

Well I've been thinking about this all afternoon between napping & watching football....in no particular order:

1) I can turn the motor over at the crank, so I know it's not locked up
2) My battery is showing over 12 volts
3) The wiring to the starter is new
4) The ignition switch activates the accessories but doesn't engage the starter
5) The 12v source from the battery to the starter is working
6) 12 volts directly to the solenoid didn't provide any results
7) The starter "passed" on the machine at Autozone
8) I tried a universal ignition switch with the exact same results as the factory unit.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the battery is connected and that there is +12v at the large terminal of the starter. If there is grab a crappy screwdriver and use it to jump out between the large terminal of the starter and the smaller one. If the starter does not turn over toss it in the trash. Note, it will spark as you jump the terminals with the screwdriver.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by G-Body
Make sure the battery is connected and that there is +12v at the large terminal of the starter. If there is grab a crappy screwdriver and use it to jump out between the large terminal of the starter and the smaller one. If the starter does not turn over toss it in the trash. Note, it will spark as you jump the terminals with the screwdriver.
I took a screwdriver stuck on a long piece of rubber hose and jumped the two terminals this morning. If I shorted the battery post to the starter case, it sparked like you'd expect, but when I jumped the two terminals it didn't do a thing. Hell, I even swapped to another piece of metal and rubbed it back and forth across the terminals with not even a single spark. Even the bolt I used sparked like hell when I shorted it against the housing but not between the terminals.

I probably tried it a dozen times with the same results. So it looks like my starter is junk. That's crazy though that it passed on the machine at Autozone.

Guess I'll be buying a new one later this week Early Christmas gift for me I guess...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
'Bird Director

Problem solved! It was the starter after all.

It turns over, but I haven't fired it yet. I have to dial in the fuel pressure regulator & make sure there aren't any fuel leaks, etc....

"Thanks" for the false test Autozone

Thank you Dan for all your help! I was beginning to doubt my electrical knowledge & wiring ability. I feel a lot better knowing that it wasn't me
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
'Bird Director

I let it run for about 3 seconds so the neighbors could enjoy the open headers
Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I let it run for about 3 seconds so the neighbors could enjoy the open headers
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!!. Glad to hear you got it running. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the posts in the starter is loose and it was making good enough contact when they tested it, but turned slightly as you installed it?

Only 3 seconds you must like your neighbors, or are just in a town where the police care about noise. Back when I was in chicago we broke in 2 cams in the boat running open tubes for an hour at a time LOL.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job on 1995 Firebird turn to look like 2002 T/A.

Curious why you pick 4.8L motor instead of 5.3L or 5.7L?

Good looks at Intake..
Keep it up good job.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by G-Body
Congrats!!. Glad to hear you got it running. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the posts in the starter is loose and it was making good enough contact when they tested it, but turned slightly as you installed it?

Only 3 seconds you must like your neighbors, or are just in a town where the police care about noise. Back when I was in chicago we broke in 2 cams in the boat running open tubes for an hour at a time LOL.
I haven't taken it back for the core deposit yet, so I may take it back to be retested just for fun at another store. One thing I did notice between the new one and the old one was the location of the gear drive mechanism. On the old starter, it was stuck in the position where it would engage the flywheel. Maybe that's just where it was when it died, but I did see that it wasn't as free-moving as the new one.

I just put a sip of gas in it, so once I get some more fuel I'll be ready to play. I'm thinking about giving a little "thanks" to the neighbors on Thursday morning

My neighbors are actually pretty cool about my cars. My other 'bird is rather loud, and they don't complain. One of my neighbors actually enjoys hearing me fire it up. I have one quiet elderly neighbor, but I let her dog crap in my yard. First time she complains, no more dog crapping in my yard

Originally Posted by kevin87turbot
Congrats!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Pony Exp.305
Curious why you pick 4.8L motor instead of 5.3L or 5.7L?
Post #6 explains why

Quick Reply: Close to firing...just need help with a few details [diagrams included]