Sponsored by:

Planning out 5.3 swap for my 79 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning out 5.3 swap for my 79 Camaro RS

Going to copy this from NastyZ28 for a bit more feedback;

Hey guys, I've been doing all kinds of reading on doing LSx swaps over the past year or so, since the progress on my project has been at a halt for 2 years or so now. Now that I'm out of college and working, I'm thinking of starting up the buying spree for the LSx conversion. I'm going to throw out what I have located so far, and get some input from anyone that has experience. I'd love to do a T56 swap at the same time, since the car is a stock 4-speed vehicle, but for the mean time I may fab up a bracket for the z-bar and stick with the 4-speed.

For the engine I've found a few 5.3's locally on Craigslist and Car-Part that are complete, ranging from $500 - $750 (asking) with either 33,000 miles up to 78,000. From what I've been reading on LS1Tech, most guys are getting these kind of prices on engines with 84k+ so I'll take it. I know Jake and many others have suggested getting as complete of a motor as possible to save on as many sensors and other small parts as possible. The one thing I want to ask about this is if you are swapping to a car intake/fuel rails/injectors (I'll get to this in a minute) would this even apply with the sensors? I thought I read somewhere that the sensors are different between the car/truck applications?

Now like I said, I also found a new LS6 intake that comes with rails, injectors, throttle body, MAP, and hardware for an asking price of $415. That sounds like a killer deal to me since most of the used LS6 intakes I've seen on the LS1T classifieds bare for $300+. I've also found a listing that has a FBody LS1/6sp harness for $200, "complete AC system" which I'd aim for the compressor, radiator with electric fans, starter, and alternator asking for offers. I'm looking at these listings for the accessory drive since everything I'm recalling states that the truck accessories cannot be used in our application. Does that still hold true, or can the relocation brackets (Qwik) move them enough to work?

So basically, the overview:
5.3 w/78k $500
LS6 intake, etc $415
LS1 harness $200 (or a custom swap harness for about $400)
PCM (stock or tuned) $25 - 150

The fuel system is up in the air since people seem to have such varying methods. I've seen some mentioning getting a 3rd Gen sending unit to modify slightly and throw in the tank, others mentioning Tanks Inc (I believe) sending units that also have to be modified, and then using Corvette regulators mounted on the subframe. Is there any real consensus on this? Overall, any additional input? I'm finally having some bills clear up, and its almost tax-return time, so I'm more motivated than I have been in the past.

I'm still keeping an eye out for the LQ4/9 motors, but the LM7/L33's are more readily available in my area. Plus, I've read about a lot of guys running the 5.3's with single turbos rather easily with the lower compression ratio, with mild boost and netting good results. I've been obsessed with turbos since I started driving, and have yet to own one, so that may be the route I go eventually. I forgot to mention in my original post that I intend on getting an LS6 cam and valvetrain, so I'm thinking easily 350hp+ (hopefully) which will be a great start for me, being my first "hot rod" and the potential of a turbo is great IMO.

I guess the one question I had about the harness is if you're swapping the intake, rails, injectors to the car setup, do you then get a LS1 harness?

As for the PCM, in my haste I just did a quick eBay search for my initial post and saw several listings that were 'programmed' I guess would be a better term to get rid of some of the emissions and other unnecessary stuff for a swap...
I have read several threads on here and other sites, just looking for some feedback on some of the questions above that I'm still kind of unclear about, and the prices on some of the components...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My1stFBody
Going to copy this from NastyZ28 for a bit more feedback;

I have read several threads on here and other sites, just looking for some feedback on some of the questions above that I'm still kind of unclear about, and the prices on some of the components...
If you swap the intake, injectors etc etc. You don't necessarily need to get a new harness. You can if you wish but you can also buy plug adaptors. It's $25 for the kit from Summit, called the MSD-2400. There is also someone selling on on ebay for $24 with $4 shipping. That'll probably be your best bet.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by battsup
If you swap the intake, injectors etc etc. You don't necessarily need to get a new harness. You can if you wish but you can also buy plug adaptors. It's $25 for the kit from Summit, called the MSD-2400. There is also someone selling on on ebay for $24 with $4 shipping. That'll probably be your best bet.
So are you saying to use the truck harness with those adaptors, or the other way around (LS1 harness with them)?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Truck harness with msd connectors. The reason you need to do this is that the truck injectors have different plugs than ls1 injectors.

http://chevythunder.com/ls1_page_1.htm

Scroll down to the injector part then it will make sense.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Default good link

Truck harness with msd connectors. The reason you need to do this is that the truck injectors have different plugs than ls1 injectors.

good link
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
good link
Read the other things he has that site is a wealth of info
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

This is great. So based off that link, if I wanted to retain my 4-sp manual trans for now, I'd have to follow this part:

PN 12561680 Early style 4 speed flywheel
The LS1 crankshaft is also shorter relative to the bell housing than the earlier small-blocks. Special pilot bearing PN 12557583 is needed to compensate for this difference.
Correct?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Updates?

Quick Reply: Planning out 5.3 swap for my 79 Camaro RS