Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting over, mustang swappers come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was in the same boat with the aje k member. I got rid of it. You can use a stock k member out of any 96-04 mustang. All you have to do is modify the motor mounts from the 3.8 or the 4.6. way better for hard street duty imo.

ps: i would do a 4 cyl notchback instead........lol
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kornerz
i was in the same boat with the aje k member. I got rid of it. You can use a stock k member out of any 96-04 mustang. All you have to do is modify the motor mounts from the 3.8 or the 4.6. way better for hard street duty imo.
Whats the issue with the stock 5.0 k-member, why switch to the 96-04?

Originally Posted by kornerz
ps: i would do a 4 cyl notchback instead........lol
No way, the I wouldn't have a fox. The sn95's are so much more comfortable. Foxes are for racing, sn95's can actually be driven.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

beware of the 1" difference in lower control arms some where in the later years. I believe it was 96 up? Did a 6.0 swap into a 99 and had to go to a 93 style lower arm to get the camber back to normal. I modified a QA1 K member. It has over 7500 street miles on it with no cracks or failures. just my $.02
Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

the 4.6 k has different motor mount points. With the modified 3.8 v6 mounts, the motor sat like factory. Plus, 4.6k and 96-04 spindels have way better steering/suspention geometry.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jfg455
beware of the 1" difference in lower control arms some where in the later years. I believe it was 96 up? Did a 6.0 swap into a 99 and had to go to a 93 style lower arm to get the camber back to normal. I modified a QA1 K member. It has over 7500 street miles on it with no cracks or failures. just my $.02
94-04 have the same arms.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, now I'm even more confused. The 95 that I'm buying has 03-04 cobra front control arms, is this going to cause a problem? FYI, it also has a set of UPR caster/camber plates.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Teching In

How is the build going?

The 03/04 Cobra front control arms just have a revised geometry that gives you a tighter turning radius.

From what other people were going back and forth on. I don't know about 94-95's, but the 96-98 GT's and 99-04 GT's 8.8's were slightly different widths with the 99-04's being slightly wider. For instance, if you accidently buy 99-04 axles for your 98 you will not be able to install them no matter how hard to push... ask me how I know.

The fuel systems on 96-98's GT's were return style with 99-04's GT's being returnless. The odd year are the 98's which are return style systems, but with the basket and some other bits that made it a hybrid between the earlier systems and the 99-04 cars. MMR, Vortech, and a couple other companies make specific setups for 98's for about the same price as the other years, or you can get the 96-97 parts for really cheap and convert your fuel setup.

I'm pretty sure the V6 and Cobra fuel systems were the same way. No idea about the V6 rear ends, the Cobra's went to IRS in 99.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

The build is moving, at a very slow pace.

FYI, the 95's have a return style fuel system although I don't know how much of a benefit that is. From what I can tell my fuel rail (stock ls1) won't work with it and I'm just going to go the route of the vette regulator.

I'm just finishing with the ford wiring, the engine harness is out, the chassis harness is now modified but needs to be re-wrapped and re-routed. Next installing the AJE kmember & putting the front end back together so it can be a true "roller" again. Following that is weld work. I'm planning on plug welding the holes in the inner fenders to make things look a little nicer. Then on to ABS removal and initial engine test fitment. The list goes on and on. Having a 10 month old crawling around the house really cuts into my garage time. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

anymore updates? i have a 95 v6 im thinking of swapping to a 5.3. so i may have about a million questions for you on the wiring harness.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Hey man I live in central Ky, There is a guy on craigslist for Lexington who sells Mustang parts dirt cheap. He is always parting them out. I am gonna use him to get parts for my swap. 300 will get you the 8.8 rear end, and front suspension, as well as brake conversion from a gt.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

Well, the build is still moving at a very slow pace.

I've decided not to work with the ford return style fuel system and just use a vette regulator. The cost for the correct fuel rail is much higher than the regulator & lines.

The underhood ford wiring out, the AJE kmember & the front end are back together and the weld work is near completion. ABS removal is next on the list. I found that it could have stayed, the engine fits fine with it in place but since the wiring is already pulled I'm doing away with it. Engine & trans have been in and out a couple times, everything fit up pretty good.

As for wiring concerns I'm just planning on running a PSI harness. Thats it for now, just putting in a couple hours here and there as I find time.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

im struggling with the wiring ideas over here. ive seen a few places ofer the harnesses that work the motor but what my concern is the dash side. ill probably want to keep ac and ps and make that work in the dash plus either make my gauges work or get some new ones. money is a concern so those really nice defi gauges are out. what other options are there really? what are you doing in that area?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm planning on using a gauge cluster from an f-body to keep things simple. It'll make running the speedo, tach, oil & water gauges easy. Don't know what it'll take to run the fuel level, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. From what I've read the AC is controlled by the ecu, a few custom hoses should be all it takes, we'll see, I'd like to keep mine too.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

cool. im finding it a little difficult to find some answers. it takes so much research. doing a hybrid seems to be worse than working on a civic. when it comes to info anyway.

Quick Reply: Starting over, mustang swappers come on in!