Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bitter Sweet Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bitter Sweet Day

had a very bitter sweet day today. I have an 84 Regal that im swapping a 5.3/4L60E into. after many weeks of blood and swet and REALLY mean the blood part. i finally got to the point of putting in the key and turning this babay over. 1st crank had some spit and sputter and then it died. i waited a sec and crack 2 was the majic touch. this thing came alive with a very smooth idle and music to the ears. i let it idle about 6-7min and and yes the moment of true glory i sat in the car put that baby in reverse and NOTHING!! i put it in drive and NOTHING again. checked fluids thinking i put in 5 qrts so its still low lets go for more and the dip stick reads perfect. pulled the trans line to the rad and bone dry. is there a procedure im supposed to do to prime the trans pump?? i'm sure no super mechanic but i have done a trans or 2 before.

when i bought the trans the guy i got it from said it had been rebuilt and never installed becouse he had decided to go manual instead. im starting to think he got me

ANY input is welcome.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

did you forget to bolt the flexplate to the trans??
Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Teching In

im sure i bolted the tourqe converter to the flex plate. i was told if i raise the rear tires and spin them while the trans is in gear this will prime the trans pump.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put it on jackstands and slowly go through the gears. gotta fill that cooler, converter and the lines.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Conan-64
im sure i bolted the tourqe converter to the flex plate. i was told if i raise the rear tires and spin them while the trans is in gear this will prime the trans pump.
This will not work, the pump in the trans is driven by the engine connected through the torque converter. When you select a gear it applies pressurized fluid to the clutch pack they that drives the wheels. If you spin the wheels, you just slip the clutches in the trans.

I would pull the pan, verify the filter is in place, verify the torque converter bolts, if your still stumped, pull the trans and make sure the converter is in all the way. I read on here, someone else did not put the converter in all the way and damaged the pump.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
put it on jackstands and slowly go through the gears. gotta fill that cooler, converter and the lines.
Do this first, while checking the fluid level, the what I posted after.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

i'll definetly give this a try. i sure hope this works. i really dont want to pull this thing let alone buying another trans.... Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

gl man, post pics
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

same scenario for me. unknown 4l80e that i transgoed. 85'regal lq4 turbo build with big injectors. hit the key and bam lit right up. after days of idle tuning i went to throw it in reverse and nothin'. after a gallon of atf it works mint. i wish you luck regal brother.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have broken the transmission pump.. if you keep filling it and nothing happens, pull the trans, pull the converter and look at the square drives in the front of the trans. if they're gone, you need a new pump.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
You may have broken the transmission pump.. if you keep filling it and nothing happens, pull the trans, pull the converter and look at the square drives in the front of the trans. if they're gone, you need a new pump.
x2

If you didnt seat the converter in the pump it will break the ears off the pump almost immediately. Its not an uncommon thing to happen.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

x3 I've actually done it before. When I was younger and didn't know better. You really got to wiggle and lift and spin the torque converter and make sure it seats all the way in. If not youll notice a gap in the motor/bell housing and youll snug it up anyway and... POP! No more pump....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Teching In

i gave this another try and no luck. it looks like the trans is comming out. Here are the new questions of the day.
1. is the trans pump a relativily inexpensive and easy fix for a novice?
2. i was looking thru the LS1 Classified and looks like most guys are selling 4L60Es for about $300-$400. should i just try to pick up another one?????
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
x2

If you didnt seat the converter in the pump it will break the ears off the pump almost immediately. Its not an uncommon thing to happen.

I had this happen to me on a TH350 20 years ago. Lesson learned. I am betting this is what happened.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Conan-64
i gave this another try and no luck. it looks like the trans is comming out. Here are the new questions of the day.
1. is the trans pump a relativily inexpensive and easy fix for a novice?
2. i was looking thru the LS1 Classified and looks like most guys are selling 4L60Es for about $300-$400. should i just try to pick up another one?????
Anyone can replace a pump, just get a rebuilt from a reputable builder (around $50), drop the pan, remove the TCC solenoid, pull the pump bolts, remove & replace the pump, and reverse the above steps. Be sure to use a torque wrench!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Anyone can replace a pump, just get a rebuilt from a reputable builder (around $50), drop the pan, remove the TCC solenoid, pull the pump bolts, remove & replace the pump, and reverse the above steps. Be sure to use a torque wrench!
you forgot 2 steps

1-kick yourself in the ***
2-never do this again
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
you forgot 2 steps

1-kick yourself in the ***
2-never do this again
Lets just say i already have!!!

I'm not sure if this has any relavince or not but should be hooking up any wires to the switch on the passenger side? i'm assuming i get my Nuetral safety switch from but.......
Attached Thumbnails Bitter Sweet Day-photo.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

not sure about 60s but uuhhh yeah. you still kept this fuel injected right? i would think the pcm would want gear position. you did plug in the vss and the big round connector right. and when you bolted the tranny up do you remember if you had to slide the converter up to meet the fly wheel or was it just smashed together.?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

even if the PRNDL switch is totally unplugged you will still get 3rd and rev hydraulicly. I would say that you probably didn't seat the torque converter all the way and as soon as it fired it shattered the front pump ring. very common mistake. But make sure you have enough fluid in it first. It will take anywhere from 5 qts (if just the pan was dropped) to 14 qts (dry converter and trans after rebuild). also if the filter isnt in or seated it wont move. or pump any fluid.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Teching In

I kept the complete FI. runs VERY nice. i did hook up the round connector and the VSS connecter thats just past the round one. Im hoping to get some wrnech time in tonight and get the trans out. i guess i'll take it from there. ill keep every one posted.

Thanks for all for the input!!
Attached Thumbnails Bitter Sweet Day-photo.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bitter Sweet Day