Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 67 Camaro Build/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Joe
wow that is very very nice. well done and glad to see its goin to be a driver not a garage queen

Thanks, Joe. Another reason we purchased a non-numbers matching was so that we wouldn't be concerned with driving it all of the time.
There's another thread here by StuCool, who has been driving his car quite a bit. I hope to do the same.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love that color of your car!!awsome!!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this build! I can only imagine what my wife would have said if it took 8 years to build the one I just finished haha... i'm sure you didn't work on it as much as I did though. I worked on it alot and it took us 3 and a half months and the wife was ready to leave me by the time I was done haha

you are done a TON to this car and it shows... very nice man congrats!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail
I like this build! I can only imagine what my wife would have said if it took 8 years to build the one I just finished haha... i'm sure you didn't work on it as much as I did though. I worked on it alot and it took us 3 and a half months and the wife was ready to leave me by the time I was done haha

you are done a TON to this car and it shows... very nice man congrats!
Thanks very much. It's all of you who inspired me, and still do. There's still a bunch remaining to be done.
In this case, $ was the bottom line. The cold weather & my unheated garage played a large part, too. Although quite a bit was spent (much more than orig planned), we had to wait until we could accumulate more $ so that this could continue. Hence the time period. As mentioned in the build story, my family supported me in a number of ways, and my wife is a doll.
Great job on your build! Using the foam block is really good idea. Enjoy your ride, I think I have an idea how much dedication has been put into it!

Last edited by gMAG; 02-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gMAG
here's some 'disgust', Steve. I'm not sure if disgust & bummer are the same?

I'm leaning toward the blackwalls. It helps to hear all of your opinions, though. Different perspectives are good!
Mister D! What did you end up choosing for headers/mounts/etc??
Hey glenn, I'm still painting my firewall and building the subframe of my car with LS brakes etc. I have not purchased the kit yet but I decided that I'd try the hooker plates first to see if everything clears as it did on your car THEN buy the headers. If this does not work, I'm going to try the edelbrock plates as flyinsquirel did. I'm going to start a build page to keep track of everything. Your car is looking great!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MisterD
Hey glenn, I'm still painting my firewall and building the subframe of my car with LS brakes etc. I have not purchased the kit yet but I decided that I'd try the hooker plates first to see if everything clears as it did on your car THEN buy the headers. If this does not work, I'm going to try the edelbrock plates as flyinsquirel did. I'm going to start a build page to keep track of everything. Your car is looking great!
It's great to hear that your car is coming along, and with the LS brakes, too!
Those decisions you're making as so intregal to the remainder of the project.
I was under mine yesterday and noticed that the Hooker ceramics have just a bit of surface rust on one small area of the pass side collector. That area looks as if the ceramic coating wasn't applied properly, as the ceramic has a cross-hatch appearance to it. The car hasn't even left the garage yet.
All else looks good, but in a way, I wish that I had bought the stainless version.
Can't wait to see your build!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do u like the kessler kit? Debating on this kit for my 70 nova.Nice build.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

very nice. I cant wait to get mine finished. Why did you decide to go with the ls1 over a ls2?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00duvall
How do u like the kessler kit? Debating on this kit for my 70 nova.Nice build.
Thanks.
It's only been for a couple of short drives around the block, so I can't give you a complete answer, yet.
I didn't want 2 overdrives. The 5 sp (.63) suited me. It's the 600 TKO, which gives some room to expand the power down the road. The fit is like a glove. With these mods and a good tune, it may give me 370hp....so the tranny is a bit of overkill right now.
The kit was straightforward-lots of explicit directions, but expensive-5k..even though it's top of the line stuff.
Because the plan was to keep this car, I wanted a new tranny, not someone else's.
There's a new version out right now called the "RS". It's supposed to have 'smoother' shifting, and no clunking/syncro reverse.
If you're going to buy, I would suggest waiting till they have a sale, which occurs more frequently lately bec of the bad economy.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by icemanrd19
very nice. I cant wait to get mine finished. Why did you decide to go with the ls1 over a ls2?
The LS1 was bought in 2003. I'm not sure what year the LS2 came out.
In retrospect, I'm glad I have this motor. It was manufactured in May 1997-the first year for the LS1. And, I think that it was intended to be placed in a Corvette. It ended up being an 'extra' in a Firebird, with the T/A cam.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Hey, great build... you've put some tremendous work into this car!

I am wondering if you could give me some details on your air filter and air inlet setup- I really like the way it looks. P/Ns would be great, but if you don't have them where's a good place to look?

I am at that stage with my car where I am putting all of this miscellaneous stuff together like hoses, fittings etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

How u enjoying the car???
Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

The car looks great. Love the color, and the engine install. Enjoy
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love that color!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bmf5150
How u enjoying the car???
Hey, Stan
Yours is looking great, as well.
The ECM just came back with mail-order tune from Frost, and I'm anxious to try her out. The injectors needed to be re-sized to 36's from stock. They should be back shortly. I've been waiting for my resto guy to take the car back for body finishing and exhaust.
In the meantime, we've been on the highway several times (open headers!).

Sorry for my late replies. My thread sinks to the bowels of page 8, or so, and I lose track of it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 68maroSam
The car looks great. Love the color, and the engine install. Enjoy
Thank you, Sam. It's collected quite a sum of pollen and dust since then.
It's somewhat like wax, except that it's a protective layer of dirt!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kevinciaran
Hey, great build... you've put some tremendous work into this car!

I am wondering if you could give me some details on your air filter and air inlet setup- I really like the way it looks. P/Ns would be great, but if you don't have them where's a good place to look?

I am at that stage with my car where I am putting all of this miscellaneous stuff together like hoses, fittings etc.
Kevin, sorry about the very late reply. Sent you a PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

An update...I received the ECM back after a mail-order tune by Frost. In addition, FIC resized the injectors from the stock 28...to a 36 @ 58.
Before the tune, the car would backfire once (thru headers) on startup, and occasionally at lean/low engine rpm. After the tune, the car still backfires on startup. It smells rich, too.
The car would've run fine without the tune, but I thought that it would have solved this. Nothing negative about Steve @ Frost. He was quick & helpful, and I may be dealing with some other issue.
I had hoped to bring the car back to my resto guy for final body & paint tune-up. He said he would tune the LS1 for free on his DynoJet. When I arrived there, he could hardly stand up because of a back injury. It seems like I continually get put on the back burner, and I'm getting pissed.
The highway is 100 yards away and all of the hotrodders (except for me) are enjoying themselves.

Last edited by gMAG; 06-28-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

I LOVE that color... so awesome!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Last weekend was very productive.
Since January, other than some occassional backfire & a rich burn, the engine had been running well, I thought. The mailorder tune didn't help much with these issues, and it became clear that there was something else going on. I realized that the driver's header was barely warm, while the pass header was hot. Don't know how this could have been missed because the engine sounded like everything was proper. The culprit turned out to be the small coil harness on the driver's side, which had been turned over, so that instead of 1-3-5-7, it was 7-5-3-1. So, that firing order would be 7-8-1-2-6-3-4-5=backfire & enough exhaust to choke a mule!
This cured the backfire, and now she starts right on the first plug to be fired.
Soon as the clutch is broken in, a dyno tune will happen, which should cure the richness.
At the same time, oil pressure was running 34 @ cold start, 18 @ hot idle, but rose significantly on acceleration. So much unburned gas had found it's way into the oil. The oil looked like Coke.
I drained the oil, changed the filter, then poured a couple more quarts through to make sure that all the gas was rinsed.
Pressure went to 45 @ cold start, 26 @ hot idle, and zooms right up on acceleration.
Things are 'looking up'.

Last edited by gMAG; 07-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: My 67 Camaro Build/Photos