Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converters, NJ inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Catalytic Converters, NJ inspection?

I am thinking about putting cats on my car when it comes time to hang my exhaust but I wanted to get some input from the community here. First, the reason why I am looking to puts cats on my 5.3L swap '87 Monte is because I think that it will fail NJ inspection when the put the mirrors under the car for the visual inspection. I am almost certain that the new engine will be able to pass 1987 smog standards without cats but I am worried about the visual inspection.

Has anyone used the cheap ebay cats in their swaps? Like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-C...item2eb1fedfbd

I am also looking at the universal Walker Exhaust cats at summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-15028/

If anyone has experience with universal cats and/or the new NJ inspection rules for older cars can you please chime in? I am a little worried that the cheap ones will not pass the visual inspection because they don't really look like a typical catalytic converter.

Thanks for any input,

Mike
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Teching In

With it being 1987, you can get collector inspection or classic plates IIRC. The car is going on 23 years old and even a catless gen 4 motor would be cleaner than the lg4 305 bomb that came in the thing.....

In NJ I had collector inspection(triangle sticker) on my 86 turbo regal WH1
Old 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i took my car to get inspected a few weeks ago and i didn't see them use the mirrors to look under
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Pete180: I looked into the collector/classic (don't remember which) last spring and all the information I found was that I would only be able to drive 3000 miles a year. This was website and personal communication...but when you call the state you get different rules every time you call

Wimimc: I assume you are talking about the 84 that is listed in your sig? If there is no visual inspection I will just forgo the cats but I heard that there was a visual inspection and that sounded to me like I would need cats. Do you have collector or classic tags on the 84 or just normal ones?

I think I might just push my luck, if I fail I'll get cats. If I pass...I pass
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

no i took the 00 to get inspected, and i'm sure you heard but they cut a lot of expenses so now its minimal to pass.

i have regular tags on the car.

and thats what i did, its no big deal, they give you a 2 week grace period to get it fixed, and its still free to get inspected so nothing to worry about, especially if you have a clean running engine.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know how knowledgeable they are about g-body exhaust in NJ, but keep in mind that there was never a dual cat dual exhaust option on any g-body. So if the guy is good, he may spot a problem even with cats. Although if its anything like IL he`s gonna be clueless and you could clamp the lower heat shield off a cat to your exhaust pipe and it would pass the visual.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

theres still a visual and a smog test. the visual is just to make sure the emission equipment is there. but nj isnt failing stuff anymore, because they're only keeping the emissions to keep the epa happy. now i dont know about classic or collector tags, but with regular inspection they do a smog and a visual (underneathe) for older cars

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converters, NJ inspection?