Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get fresh air for the PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:03 PM
Teching In

Default Where can I get fresh air for the PCV?

Just had a cold air system welded up and polished for a LS7 in a '67 Corvette, but I forgot to include a nipple for fresh air for the PCV system. I'd hate to risk removing and drilling the front part of the CAI for fear of scratching it. Will it make much of a difference to have the fresh air taken in front of the MAF rather then behind it? I know this air will enter the engine unmetered, but can that be compensated for with a tune? It would be cleaner for me to get the air on the other side of the core support.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, but the MAF is in the straight piece right before the elbow.

Old 12-31-2010 | 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Default fresh air for the PCV

I have a 2007 Corvette LS2 in my car and I'm using a S&P air filter which pulls the air for the PCV in front of the MAF and I havent had any driveability problems so far, been a little over a year.
Old 12-31-2010 | 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need for "fresh air" for the PCV, air is coming OUT of the engine through the PCV.

That's why you generally just see a little filter sitting on top of a valve cover for non-emissions cars.
Old 12-31-2010 | 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason for the the pcv getting the air off the air intake tube is because its metered air and the MAF has accounted for this air..... If you just leave it, you possibly can run into issue of getting lean codes as such....... Some chose a catch can setup, but guys who chose to void or not use the pcv system properly often run into issues...

Bozz....
Old 12-31-2010 | 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn't realize it was metered, thinking about it only makes sense.

Found this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...how-route.html
Old 12-31-2010 | 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, guess I just never had to think about because I left mine stock. Good to know though.
Old 01-01-2011 | 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Yes sir, these engines are sensitive to this type of stuff.... GM designed it but guys somehow try to find a way to pick up a few ponies or modify based off cosemetic items purchased....

If it where me, I would just drill tap the tubing, stick a grument in it and run what ever size hose with a nipple cemented or jb weld into the grument... Of cousre making it look neat....But I like modifying stuff so its no biggie to me...... The catch cans system too me is just to much work and more cash spent vs just a drill tap and cut....
Nobody is deleting the system or modifying the way it works from stock. I was just wondering if it would really have that much of an effect on the MAF readings if I took the air from in front of the MAF instead of behind it. It would just save me the hassle of polishing that large piece of intake tubing again after I drill it. It would also be easier for me to hide the pcv hose if I were able to run it all the way in front of the radiator where the filter is vs. underneath the first elbow in that intake piece right in front of the engine.
Old 01-01-2011 | 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuprJames
Nobody is deleting the system or modifying the way it works from stock. I was just wondering if it would really have that much of an effect on the MAF readings if I took the air from in front of the MAF instead of behind it. It would just save me the hassle of polishing that large piece of intake tubing again after I drill it. It would also be easier for me to hide the pcv hose if I were able to run it all the way in front of the radiator where the filter is vs. underneath the first elbow in that intake piece right in front of the engine.
As you stated here.. I already told you, but you seem to want to save a polished peice which is cosmetic over what is the proper way.... Nobody said you where deleting, I was speaking in general of guys who try to reinvent the wheel for a cosmetic piece......

You said this below:
Just had a cold air system welded up and polished for a LS7 in a '67 Corvette, but I forgot to include a nipple for fresh air for the PCV system. I'd hate to risk removing and drilling the front part of the CAI for fear of scratching it. Will it make much of a difference to have the fresh air taken in front of the MAF rather then behind it?
I know this air will enter the engine unmetered, but can that be compensated for with a tune? It would be cleaner for me to get the air on the other side of the core support.
Do it and when you have periodoic p171 or p174 lean codes you'll be posting back here asking why..... How would you tune it out when there will never be a consistant level of air recieved?

Again sacrificing for a cosmetic piece...

I already told you what to do, but you want to do what you want vs the right way...

You do what you want with your car, my cars run.......

Bozz
Old 01-01-2011 | 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
As you stated here.. I already told you, but you seem to want to save a polished peice which is cosmetic over what is the proper way.... Nobody said you where deleting, I was speaking in general of guys who try to reinvent the wheel for a cosmetic piece......

Do it and when you have periodoic p171 or p174 lean codes you'll be posting back here asking why..... How would you tune it out when there will never be a consistant level of air recieved?

Again sacrificing for a cosmetic piece...

I already told you what to do, but you want to do what you want vs the right way...

You do what you want with your car, my cars run.......

Bozz
I wouldn't have posted here asking if I were going to just do whatever is easiest or looks best. I'm looking for advice from people who know more then I do about tuning. I've read various ways of doing this in other threads and was looking for clarification. No need to be an ******* about it.

If I were going the easy route then I would've done like everyone else and stuck the ******* filter on the end of an elbow in the middle of the engine bay sucking hot *** air and called it a day.
Old 01-01-2011 | 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuprJames
I wouldn't have posted here asking if I were going to just do whatever is easiest or looks best. I'm looking for advice from people who know more then I do about tuning. I've read various ways of doing this in other threads and was looking for clarification. No need to be an ******* about it.

If I were going the easy route then I would've done like everyone else and stuck the ******* filter on the end of an elbow in the middle of the engine bay sucking hot *** air and called it a day.
First of all you asked here, nobody asked you....

Second of all talking **** or getting an attitude is not a good way to get information reagrdless if you like the answer or not...

I actually could give a fugg about your motor or your polished tubing... You can drill a whole and polish the tubing stuck in your culo....If you are a genius and want to run a pcv line in front of your MAF.... and think it could be tuned out, thats fine genius..... But don't talk **** and get an attitude.....

You need to check which hole your talking out of first.......

Bozz
Old 01-01-2011 | 09:09 PM
On The Tree

are you utilizing the factory outlet for the power booster, if not you could hook the pcv into that port on the intake, if you are then you could t into this hose and route the pcv this way. if you have low vacuum from a large cam you may have a hard pedal due to the extra vacuum loss but most factory cams will do both just fine. ive "T"'d into the booster hose before and never had troubles.

Quick Reply: Where can I get fresh air for the PCV?