Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stans 1968 camaro LS swap and other upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the engine/tranny are tilted back too far causing un wanted fluid to enter in the tail housing, maybe? If so you could shim the trans mount a little, maybe? I am unfamiliar with the Lokar trans dip sticks but am familiar with the oil dip sticks and they are adjustable I believe. Is yours like a cable rather than a flat piece like the factory??
Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cable,with a piece of metal at the end!I been reading up on it tonight at work and it sounds like alot Of people have problems reading level on it!we will have to see if it stops or not
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure that transmission fluid shouldnt be back in the tail housing? As far as I remember thats why there is a seal at the yoke because trans fluid does get back there. Are you sure the orings arent tore on the cable adapter that slides in?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

After reading online about this problem it seems as if your cable adapter has a malfunction and not because there is fluid back there. Its a gear set and it needs fluid to cool it and to lubricate it so it goes without saying there has to be fluid back there. I would send the adapter back in exchange for another one or you could pull it apart and see if there is reason it is leaking. This has to be a GM part now to figure out what it came off of is another story. Prolly a stocked item just like my TPS that is a reverse rotation design. The guy at Professional Products wasnt going to give me the GM number until I started talking about returning the entire throttle body for an exchange. Once he gave me the GM number it turns out GM used these TPS from 1991-2003. All this time I thought it was a custom made job. $32.99 and my TPS problem is solved!! Do some digging and I am sure you will find out what vehicle had a speedometer cable with a 4L60E.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

GM used the 700r4 which is an early 4l60e and they had speedometer cables. In 1990 the 700r4 was renamed a 4l60e. So I would check around for the seal. or a new adapter. Here are some:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-3...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-3...Q5fAccessories

Notice the orange seal inside of this housing. This is prolly the one you need. You may can even change the seal. I know RockAuto has them. Look in the 80's range on the trucks and camaros. If you look at the speedo gear it has grooves that spiral the fluid back to the tranny so proof again that fluid should be present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

This here is what I got!I'm going to call performabuilt and ask them there opinion!I appreciate the help!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I realized tonight the throttle cable to my throttle body was not adjusted correct,when the pedal was to the floor there was still about 3/4 to and inch left of travel in the throttle body till it's butterfly was wide open,oops!!lol
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.shiftworks.com/tailhousing.htm
Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tsnow,the more I think about it,I don't remember seeing that orange seal in mine!I will have to climb under and look
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like the bottom one on the Ebay links I sent. You should be able to just buy the seal that goes inside, I would also grab a new outer o-ring just in case. Jack the back of the car up only and maybe most of the fluid will stay forward of the tailhousing or extension housing. At least its not leaking at the tailhousing!!! Worse case scenario, go by the dealer and pick up a new speedo unit. I went to the website where you purchased the conversion and seen they have one for a T56. I almost got excited till I saw the price, $1000!! Not so excited any more. I may do a little research now that I know that some of these had both the VSS and the speedo cable. Appreciate the link and good luck on fixing the leak.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I will check if I have the seal or not,if I do I'm going to call performa built and see what they think,I'm sure the tail housing is from a 700r4,I just didn't want one of those cable x setups!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Yeah I will check if I have the seal or not,if I do I'm going to call performa built and see what they think,I'm sure the tail housing is from a 700r4,I just didn't want one of those cable x setups!
I agree with you on the cable-x. The more things that turn means the more that can break or need maintenance. I will end up buying the Dakota Digital gauges like futureuser bought. This way I can take advantage of the VSS and the fuel gauge is adjustable to accept the output of the Ford sending unit. Hope you get the leak figured out. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly that's the way to go!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Looks like the bottom one on the Ebay links I sent. You should be able to just buy the seal that goes inside, I would also grab a new outer o-ring just in case. Jack the back of the car up only and maybe most of the fluid will stay forward of the tailhousing or extension housing. At least its not leaking at the tailhousing!!! Worse case scenario, go by the dealer and pick up a new speedo unit. I went to the website where you purchased the conversion and seen they have one for a T56. I almost got excited till I saw the price, $1000!! Not so excited any more. I may do a little research now that I know that some of these had both the VSS and the speedo cable. Appreciate the link and good luck on fixing the leak.
Hello Tsnow I have a T56 in my car and after trying the cable X and calibrating it my speedometer worked fine up till about 30 mph then it would jump to about 120mph I called Abbott (mfgr) to verify I had the dip switches set correctly I tried it again and my speedometer needle went to about 500 mph and broke the needle off. I called Abbott again and they told me to sEnd it back along with the speedo well they checked it and said nothing was wrong with it, but they did repair my speedo, but I had already installed another speedo I had thinking possibly the problem was in my original speedo, so I hooked up the cable X again and it did the same thing, I was scared of breaking the needle again so I connected the cable X to the repaired speedo and held the speedo in my hand so the cable had a direct line of sight with no bends and it still did the same thing, so I took it out and snt it back. There is a guy with a username of Alloy on teamchevelle.com that does the conversion for $325.00 and you pay shipping both ways, I read alot of good posts so I contacted him and sent him my rear tailhousing from the T56 from the time I shipped it and had it back on my car was 2 weeks. So it cost me $325.00 plus about $35.00 for round trip shipping, 4.5 qts. of new oil, a new rear seal for just in case and a tube of Permatex Ultra RTV black silicone and a $12.00 speedo cable and it works perfect, he will ask you some info like tire size and brand and some **** stuff I can't remember what else, I verified it with GPS on my IPhone and it is 1 mph off at 75, my phone says 75 mph and the speedo is reading 74mph that is close enough for me, I don't know if the 1mph difference is in the iPhone or the speedo conversion. I should have gone that route from the beginning instead of screwing around with that cablex. Although some people love them and say they have no problems with them.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll tell u,my car is not even dyno tuned but I sure love the power of these ls motors!it kills the old built
383 I pulled out!!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lizeec
Hello Tsnow I have a T56 in my car and after trying the cable X and calibrating it my speedometer worked fine up till about 30 mph then it would jump to about 120mph I called Abbott (mfgr) to verify I had the dip switches set correctly I tried it again and my speedometer needle went to about 500 mph and broke the needle off. I called Abbott again and they told me to sEnd it back along with the speedo well they checked it and said nothing was wrong with it, but they did repair my speedo, but I had already installed another speedo I had thinking possibly the problem was in my original speedo, so I hooked up the cable X again and it did the same thing, I was scared of breaking the needle again so I connected the cable X to the repaired speedo and held the speedo in my hand so the cable had a direct line of sight with no bends and it still did the same thing, so I took it out and snt it back. There is a guy with a username of Alloy on teamchevelle.com that does the conversion for $325.00 and you pay shipping both ways, I read alot of good posts so I contacted him and sent him my rear tailhousing from the T56 from the time I shipped it and had it back on my car was 2 weeks. So it cost me $325.00 plus about $35.00 for round trip shipping, 4.5 qts. of new oil, a new rear seal for just in case and a tube of Permatex Ultra RTV black silicone and a $12.00 speedo cable and it works perfect, he will ask you some info like tire size and brand and some **** stuff I can't remember what else, I verified it with GPS on my IPhone and it is 1 mph off at 75, my phone says 75 mph and the speedo is reading 74mph that is close enough for me, I don't know if the 1mph difference is in the iPhone or the speedo conversion. I should have gone that route from the beginning instead of screwing around with that cablex. Although some people love them and say they have no problems with them.
Thanks and I will check into it. The problem is now after I cleaned up the firewall I blocked off the speedometer cable hole. I may can redrill it and be ok. The other problem is my speedometer is already broke so its $375 for a new speedometer and another $372 for the conversion. Thats a total of $747. I can buy the Dakota digital gauges For around the same price. I sure do appreciate the help though.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I'll tell u,my car is not even dyno tuned but I sure love the power of these ls motors!it kills the old built
383 I pulled out!!
Must be nice to know the difference!!!! LOL!!! Hopefully soon I will know of what you are speaking. Thats awesome to hear, keeps me anxious!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I look forward to your opinion of the car with a ls motor!!my car pulls pretty hard,put a good smile on my face especially after all the hard work
Old 07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tsnow no problem, I was just throwing out some options, the reason I went the route I did I wanted to keep the stock gauges. I had bought a complete Covans dash outfitted with Autometer carbon fiber gauges for around $900.00 and had already test fitted it and my teen age kids told me they thought the (old school) gauges in their words looked better as I had already restored them, and after both test fits I agreed with them. I have a soft spot for the 69 camaro as it was my first car in 1980. I was 16 and bought it for $1800.00 with my own money from washing dishes, I had it for a week and my mom threatened to sue the seller for selling a car to a 16 year old so they had to buy it back, I still miss that car and technically it was my first car still, even if only for a week.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lizeec,that sounds like a great option for stick owners

Quick Reply: Stans 1968 camaro LS swap and other upgrades!