Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise Control Problem

I'm trying to install cruise control in my 1997 Camaro (it has a 98 LS1 in it). After reading the awesome thread about installing "GM cruise control on your cable driven throttle body" I know that the 98 PCM does not send a signal to the Cruise Control Module (CCM), so I can't use a CCM from any of the V6 Camaros. I now have a CCM from a 93 LT1.

Problem is, it's not working... I've checked the wiring at the CCM and it seems to be getting the appropriate signals (CRUISE ON, ACCEL, etc...) when it's supposed to. The way that I wired it up is listed below if there are any questions about it.

A 12V when Cruise Slider switch is set to ON
B 12V when "SET COAST" is depressed
C 12V when RESUME/ACCEL slider switch is used
D Normally 12V from brake switch (0V when brake is depressed)
E Ground

F Spliced into the A/C Cruise fuse in the underhood electrical center
G Normally 0V from brake input (12V when brake is depressed)
H "Cruise Inhibit from PCM" Was not used
J "Cruise engaged status to PCM" Was not used
K Spliced into the circuit containing the VSS signal from the PCM to Gauge Cluster

I read that the VSS signal from teh PCM is supposed to be a high of 4-5v, and a low of near ground. I get a high of around 5.35v; could this be an issue?? Thank you for any help/suggestions
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Terminal G must see a ground path through the CHMSL bulb in order for the cruise to operate properly.
Are you running LED tail lights? Is the wire that is connected to G tied into the brake light wiring? Those are the only thoughts that come to mind at the moment.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you sure the cruise control unit is good? I tried several and couldn't get them to work because the plastic gears inside were all stripped out. Might take the cover off and take a look. Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls1nova71 --With your suggestion I took the case apart (can't believe I didn't think of that...D'Oh...). The electromagnet thingy was super corroded, so I cleaned it up. I also noticed that the cruise control cable wasn't retracting on its own after I would pull it out. The covering of the cable was really corroded as well, and the small rubber tubing that covers the cruise cable was exposed and kinked in some places. So I "unkinked" it and put some fresh rubber tubing on it and the cable retracted fine.

Once all is said and done, IT WORKS!!!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

I've been working on my cruise off and on for about 6 years but some of these threads are much older! I have a 94 LT1 with a cable driven throttle in a 66 Elcamino. I purchased a Rostra 250-3020 and MR 20 relays that make the switch work like the 4 wire GM. Cruise worked intermittently, I finally got around to tearing it apart and found the a couple soldered wires on the MR 20 had broken and because they were pcb relays I tossed them and built the relay set-up that is posted way back in this thread for the DBW but instead of the TAC the wires hook to the cruise module. My cruise is now working 100%.
I want to pass on a link to a site I stumbled upon that really helped me understand the difference between the Rosta and GM switches. LS ENGINE DIY
https://lsenginediy.com/upgrading-ge...control-guide/

I also have an updated relay map that adds a 3rd relay to better duplicate the function of the GM 4 wire switch. The extra relay was added to prevent the set output from resting with 12V in the off position. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram. The wiring locations at the end of each terminal are my interpretation, I'm hoping someone will look this over and correct or provide a wiring diagram.
Finally I would like to thank ls1 nova71 for all the helpful information and keeping this thread alive!

The following users liked this post:
Zanie (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problem