Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Cruise Control w/DBW

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usc2001gc
On my 2005 Corvette LS2 transplant into a 71 Chevelle, Jerod at Current Performance did the harness and PCM. The PCM was reflashed to a '05 SSR in order to get the cruise control to work (he said he's done this on many). But I haven't been able to get the Cruise to work. ...
USC2001GC, if you're still subscribed to this thread; have you gotten your cruise to work?

Tipsy
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get my cruise control working. I had the clutch pedal switch wired wrong. I was using a standard brake light switch, so the circuit was open when the pedal was not depressed. It should have been closed. I swapped the standard switch with one for cruise control and used the cruise control switch, which is closed when the pedal is at rest.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

I did get my cruise control working. I had the clutch pedal switch wired wrong. I was using a standard brake light switch, so the circuit was open when the pedal was not depressed. It should have been closed. I swapped the standard switch with one for cruise control and used the cruise control switch, which is closed when the pedal is at rest.
Thanks for the follow up!

Tipsy
Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an old thread, that hasn't had a post in 3 years. So wondering has anything changed to add OEM cruise to the GMPP controller kit? Or is everyone now jsut using the add on kit like Dakota Digital uses?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samckitt
This is an old thread, that hasn't had a post in 3 years. So wondering has anything changed to add OEM cruise to the GMPP controller kit? Or is everyone now jsut using the add on kit like Dakota Digital uses?
Thanks for bumping this ancient thread as it is of interest to me. I got all of the modules with my LH6 pull, even the tailgate control module (for power locks). Mine has the TAC in the PCM so, I will watch for more information.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Thank you so much for this information. I just got my cruise control working last night.
I have a LS4, and wanted cruise control. I tried pulling on the DBW pedal with an aftermarket cruise control unit, but it did not work very well. With the ECM based cruise control it is super solid.

Hardware changes:
-Re-flashed ECM from LS4 calibration to 2006 SSR Calibration and copy over my LS4 tune.
-Re-pined ECM. I had to shuffle around the pins for the pedal and throttle body, Class 2 data, add an o2 sensor (the LS4 only has 1 bank), and of course add the cruise wiring.
-Added a VSS. Installed in Pins C44 and C45, polarity does not matter. I used a VSS from a S10 as it had threads and a 30tooth reluctor ring on the driveshaft. In HPTuners I set the tooth count to 30, ratio to 1:1 (sensor on wheel hub) and set my revs per mile based on my tire size.
-Changed the timing cover. The LS4 has a unique timing cover that is 180deg off from the LS2/LS3 timing cover. WIthout changing it the car would only fire half the time. Removed the LS4 timing cover and installed a LS2/LS3 timing cover.
-Swapped out the accelerator pedal. Even though my LS4 pedal plugged right in and all the circuit numbers lined up perfectly with the SSR, it did not work. I sourced a pedal from a 2005+ Trailblazer/Envoy 4.2L and it worked perfectly. Very common to find in a scrap yard does not need to be a V8 they all used the same pedal right up to the SS.

Cruise Wiring:
This is where this thread came in handy. Thank you very much usc2001gc!

C1 43- Clutch Position - I wired this to 12V switched power. No need to wire in a clutch switch, although it is a great idea. You want 0V when the clutch is pressed, 12V when the clutch is at rest. VCM Scanner says that the clutch is engaged when you wire it this way which threw me off, just ignore that.
C1 46- Brake Switch, Hook up to 2 pole brake switch. This leg needs 12V when the brake pedal is at rest, 0V when the brake pedal is at rest.
C1 32- Brake Switch, Hook up to 2 pole brake switch. This leg needs 0V when the brake pedal is at rest, 12V when the brake pedal is at rest. Both these brake pins need to appose each other, cruise will be inhibited if you jump either of them. As me how I know.
C1 17- Cruise Control On Switch Signal, From cruise control switch. This is not momentary, it needs to be 12V the entire time you want the cruise to be on.
C1 27- CC Set/Coast Switch Signal, From the cruise switch, 12V momentary to Set/Coast
C1 33- CC Accel/Resume Switch Signal, From the cruise switch, 12V momentary to Accel/Resume

The cruise switch itself required 3 additional hook ups, 12V switched power, ground, and a tie in the to lighting circuit for illumination.

I had issues getting the cruise to engage initially, but later found it was inhibited by a DTC for the VSS. When I was experimenting with the VSS it had come up and was still lingering. I cleared the code and the cruise started working.

I am very excited to have cruise control and I hope this helps someone in the future. This information applies to LS4s and LS2s. If doing a swap I strongly recommend using a 12596679 ECM with a 2005/2006 SSR calibration. Throw away the GTO, TBSS, LS4, etc calibrations.

Last edited by jschatte; 08-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jschatte
Thank you so much for this information. I just got my cruise control working last night....
...I am very excited to have cruise control and I hope this helps someone in the future. This information applies to LS4s and LS2s. If doing a swap I strongly recommend using a 12596679 ECM with a 2005/2006 SSR calibration. Throw away the GTO, TBSS, LS4, etc calibrations.
That's excellent information. My swap is taking forever but; I also would like cruise control and have already had my 2006 GTO E40 PCM flashed to the OS of a 2006 SSR.

Your information will be very helpful when I start wiring.

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 08-11-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Dakota Digital makes a DBW compatible cruise fwiw. OEM operating quality - have one on mine.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Glad I could help, let me know if you have any issues. I had a hell of a time getting my cruise to work, there is no need you also need to struggle.

I saw the DBW cruise. It was no use to me as the VSS for the LS4 is fed into the TCM, then transferred over the serial bus to the ECM. I needed to switch to the SSR timing cover and ECM Calibration anyway, may as well use the built in functionality. It is also cheaper to do it this way, albeit more difficult since it is not documented very well.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jschatte
Thank you so much for this information. I just got my cruise control working last night.
I have a LS4, and wanted cruise control. I tried pulling on the DBW pedal with an aftermarket cruise control unit, but it did not work very well. With the ECM based cruise control it is super solid.

Hardware changes:
-Re-flashed ECM from LS4 calibration to 2006 SSR Calibration and copy over my LS4 tune.
-Re-pined ECM. I had to shuffle around the pins for the pedal and throttle body, Class 2 data, add an o2 sensor (the LS4 only has 1 bank), and of course add the cruise wiring.
-Added a VSS. Installed in Pins C44 and C45, polarity does not matter. I used a VSS from a S10 as it had threads and a 30tooth reluctor ring on the driveshaft. In HPTuners I set the tooth count to 30, ratio to 1:1 (sensor on wheel hub) and set my revs per mile based on my tire size.
-Changed the timing cover. The LS4 has a unique timing cover that is 180deg off from the LS2/LS3 timing cover. WIthout changing it the car would only fire half the time. Removed the LS4 timing cover and installed a LS2/LS3 timing cover.
-Swapped out the accelerator pedal. Even though my LS4 pedal plugged right in and all the circuit numbers lined up perfectly with the SSR, it did not work. I sourced a pedal from a 2005+ Trailblazer/Envoy 4.2L and it worked perfectly. Very common to find in a scrap yard does not need to be a V8 they all used the same pedal right up to the SS.

Cruise Wiring:
This is where this thread came in handy. Thank you very much usc2001gc!

C1 43- Clutch Position - I wired this to 12V switched power. No need to wire in a clutch switch, although it is a great idea. You want 0V when the clutch is pressed, 12V when the clutch is at rest. VCM Scanner says that the clutch is engaged when you wire it this way which threw me off, just ignore that.
C1 46- Brake Switch, Hook up to 2 pole brake switch. This leg needs 12V when the brake pedal is at rest, 0V when the brake pedal is at rest.
C1 32- Brake Switch, Hook up to 2 pole brake switch. This leg needs 0V when the brake pedal is at rest, 12V when the brake pedal is at rest. Both these brake pins need to appose each other, cruise will be inhibited if you jump either of them. As me how I know.
C1 17- Cruise Control On Switch Signal, From cruise control switch. This is not momentary, it needs to be 12V the entire time you want the cruise to be on.
C1 27- CC Set/Coast Switch Signal, From the cruise switch, 12V momentary to Set/Coast
C1 33- CC Accel/Resume Switch Signal, From the cruise switch, 12V momentary to Accel/Resume

The cruise switch itself required 3 additional hook ups, 12V switched power, ground, and a tie in the to lighting circuit for illumination.

I had issues getting the cruise to engage initially, but later found it was inhibited by a DTC for the VSS. When I was experimenting with the VSS it had come up and was still lingering. I cleared the code and the cruise started working.

I am very excited to have cruise control and I hope this helps someone in the future. This information applies to LS4s and LS2s. If doing a swap I strongly recommend using a 12596679 ECM with a 2005/2006 SSR calibration. Throw away the GTO, TBSS, LS4, etc calibrations.
Glad I was able to help out.

Quick Reply: Installing Cruise Control w/DBW