Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting buying parts for my swap, a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting buying parts for my swap, a few questions.

So I am finally starting to buy parts for my 77 Starfire 6.0 swap and was wondering a few things.

1. I really wouldn't mind running the truck intake as long as I can fit it under the stock hood, but I really doubt that will be able to happen. Can I get an LS1 intake/fuel rail and injector setup off here cheap then later on swap to an LS6 intake but use the same fuel rail/injectors and TB?

2. Is there any specific year to stay away from on wire harnesses and/or PCM's? I plan on going with an fbody harness just because it seems to look a little cleaner, no wires running over the intake and such but is the 98 the same as the 02? On the PCM is the truck, fbody and vette ones the same?

3. I have a strong 350 turbo in the car at the moment and to keep cost down right now I am planning on using it for a while. Can I have the harness/PCM made to support a 4l60E and just have it deactivated (or whatever you would call it) in the PCM until I decide to swap one in? I want overdrive, but as i said it's more important for me to get the car on the road as quick as possible.

4. If the truck intake does happen to fit under the hood I will go ahead and run it, but will want to switch to an ls6 or possibly fast intake later. How big of a hassle and how pricey is it to modify the wiring harness? (the car injectors take a different connection if I am thinking right) If the connectors are say $150 and it will be $300 for an ls6 intake I might as well just do that to start since the fbody wiring harness will have the right connections for the ls1/6 injectors, right?

5. Can I use the truck TB on an ls1/6 intake? The 6.0 I am looking at right now is coming out of a 2002 GMC 2500.

And also was going to see if anyone notices me forgetting something, here is a list of what I am planning on getting.

truck oil pan cut/welded back up to fit around steering components
ls1/6 intake/fuel rails/injectors (if the truck intake won't fit under the hood.
Fbody wiring harness modified to only use completely necessary things (No VATS, only 2 O2 sensors etc...)
PCM - programmed
motor mounts
trailblazer manifolds (they are supposed to fit this chassis)
Gm Trans adapter/ bolts
Alternator
O2 sensors
fuel pump
MAF sensor
TB
Misc. hoses, belts, fuel lines, exhaust work.

Any help will be appreciated, with any luck I will be picking up my 6.0 next weekend so I can start test fitting to see about the truck intake.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Yes, I did this...swapped up to the LS6 intake & re-used the LS1 rails/injs/TB.
3)Yes, While the computer controls the shift of the Automatic, I'm not not sure that there would be any prob if there was no Auto trans there. You could prob leave the connectors for the trans unconnected & not de-program anything. Pls verify this. The VSS is plugged into the auto trans, so you won't be able to use the electronic speedo. However, you can just re-use your present speedo (gear driven from your present tranny).
Not sure about the rest of your questions.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No such thing as a strong TH350, unless it's been pro-built, with lots of aftermarket parts,

Quick Reply: Starting buying parts for my swap, a few questions.