Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a Walbro 255 fuel pump and a carbed LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never said it wouldn't work, I know it's just a matter of getting the pressure down so you're not spewing fuel out of the carb. I'm just saying from a Dollar and complexity POV it's better to just get a pump that's designed for being used w/ a carb' to start w/.

The stress I mention is, whatever FPR is going to reduce ~60psi down to ~6psi is going to be under a lot of stress to do so and wouldn't expect it to last very long... unless you spend TeXa$ to make sure it's of great quality. But then that defeats HIS reasoning for wanting to run his 255... to save cash.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I never said it wouldn't work, I know it's just a matter of getting the pressure down so you're not spewing fuel out of the carb. I'm just saying from a Dollar and complexity POV it's better to just get a pump that's designed for being used w/ a carb' to start w/.

The stress I mention is, whatever FPR is going to reduce ~60psi down to ~6psi is going to be under a lot of stress to do so and wouldn't expect it to last very long... unless you spend TeXa$ to make sure it's of great quality. But then that defeats HIS reasoning for wanting to run his 255... to save cash.
You are under the impression that there will be 60 PSI. There won't be. That is not how return regulators work. A carburetor return style regulator is place very near the carburetor for best results. Once the pressure reaches approx 6 pounds the additional fuel is returned to the tank. No part of the system sees high pressure in this arrangement. The pump in fact will endure less stress than when it is used with fuel injection.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, it was in my head bass ackwards.

Sorry, SORRY everyone, sorry.

thanks for straitening me out on this.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans69LS1velle
Thank you for your help. I have a return style regulator. I will try it out. I don't have a high hp application. Just a stock LS1 with heads and a mild cam. I get a lot of mixed views about this subject. And of coarse trying to stay budget minded.
On the return style regulators, can you mount them close to the tank? Or do they need to be mounted closer to the carb?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am doing something similar to this on my chevelle. I have modified the stock fuel tank for an in-tank high pressure capable pump. There is a return style bypass reg right at the tank set at 15 lbs. That keeps the fuel line to the front pressurised at around 15 psi. Up front at the carb there is a deadhead carb-style reg that drops the pressure to 5 psi before the carb.
You might be able to get away with just the single bypass reg at the tank set to 5-7 psi, but I wanted
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans69LS1velle
On the return style regulators, can you mount them close to the tank? Or do they need to be mounted closer to the carb?
Close to the carb is best.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey great everyone! Didn't know it would turn into such a debate! But I was looking at using the Mallory regulator. I used my stock chevelle tank with a baffle and plumbed my return line back through the stock sending unit. Ill post some pics soon.

Quick Reply: Can I use a Walbro 255 fuel pump and a carbed LS1?