Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont want to contest that shipment with FedEx? Also, did you ever consider doing a body swap? That may have been less involved.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deuce4935
You dont want to contest that shipment with FedEx? Also, did you ever consider doing a body swap? That may have been less involved.
Do you have any idea how I would? I kinda figured since it wasn't insured and wasn't anything that needed to be signed for I was SOL.

I don't know what you mean by a body swap, they are both unibody cars and it's easy enough to bolt everything together with the swap mounts and a transmission crossmember. Other than that the wiring takes a little time to work out but it's not hard if you are familiar with wiring.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

As for FedEx, you can give them a call and let them know that it wasnt received by you. Although you didnt take out any extra insurance, they still cover packages up to a certain value, just give them a call, all they can do is tell you to take a hike.
The body swap I was referring to wouldve been to swap the 89's body onto the later models frame.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Been pretty busy with other stuff lately but did some work to the GTA finally.

Put my clutch and flywheel on

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-chtuid9.jpg

Replacing my skip shift solenoid with a plug. A Subaru oil plug is the same thread but a bit short, not enough length for the crush washer so I'm just going to silicone it

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-icrgv7o.jpg

Got the clutch master in

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-68bd24z.jpg

Notched the k-member to clear the compressor

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-huzlm9e.jpg

Decided to try solid motor mounts so I ordered a set of those

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-0makjup.jpg

The t56 in my 01 TA was shifting hard so I decided to put the one that was originally going into the 89 into the 01 and was going to rebuild that one to go in the 89. Well when I got it out of the 01 the pilot bearing had made nice grooves in the input shaft. Luckily I had a core laying around that was going to go in my 67. The guy I got it from said it needed 2nd gear. Tore it down yesterday, the blocker rings and keys in the 3-4 syncro are done but the rest looks pretty good. I ordered a level 2 rebuild kit from tickshift.com.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-ygxx7w8.jpg

Last edited by t_raven; 07-31-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Got my hole boxed in and painted the K member

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-xujv3nb.jpg

Set the engine in. Left all the mount bolts loose so I could get it in place

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-mjujvr3.jpg

Plenty of clearance on the back and side of the compressor, gottal get the block I need to screw some hoses onto

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-qt8f34c.jpg

The bottom of the compressor is pretty close to the K member, I should've got a little lower there but should be fine with the solid mounts

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-regx8w4.jpg

The rear coil on the passenger side won't clear the evap case so I'll see if I can make it fit, if not I'll relocate the coil somewhere.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-rzljdhd.jpg

Last edited by t_raven; 07-31-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you going to use for a radiator?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOM68SS
What are you going to use for a radiator?
Stock 89 radiator. Guys have used both the 3rd gen and 4th gen radiators, though you'd need different hoses for each I guess.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Hoses match the rad used. 4th gen for 4th gen rads, mix and match for 3rd gen rad. Remember the 3rd gen V8 (90-92 V6 too) rads are the biggest. LT1 and LS1 rads are smaller but have a few small features like mount tabs for fans and steam ports that 3rd gens wont have
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Ran into another little issue. The driver's O2 sensor doesn't clear so I'll have to plug the hole in the manifold and move the sensor to the pipe.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-0yglbkd.jpg

Mostly been working on the harness lately. Finally got it all wired up. I used the relay block from the doner that has the fan relays. this way I can have 2 speed fans like the 00 had. I used the other 2 relays for the fuel pump and a/c compressor. There were enough fuses in the block to have all that I needed and a couple spare. I'm going to use the cruise module from the 00 so that connector is wired into the harness. Everything under the hood is done as far as the harness goes. I have a couple pig tails that will have to be wired inside the cab to go to the pedals, ac control, MIL and diagnostic port.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-yuyzedb.jpg

Decided to put the PCM where the original one was so I cut this hole in the firewall and made the harness long enough to reach the PCM.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-jtbd2cc.jpg

Last edited by t_raven; 07-31-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t_raven
This is the gromet for where the harness passes into the passenger foot well. I've seen guys cut the wires on both sides but I decided to take it apart and remove all the wires before I started cutting anything. It's full of like a hard glue but it all broke apart pretty easy. I'm hoping I can mount my PCM where the orignal ECU was and reuse this gromet on the new harness.

Mine is similar what did you brake it up with? and what do you plan on filling it back up with so it doesn't leak?

here is mine

Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is similar what did you brake it up with? and what do you plan on filling it back up with so it doesn't leak?
Screwdriver pops the chunk out pretty good if you fiddle with it. Snap the two halves around the new harness and pump it full of silicone to seal

When using the 2" hole like he is, dont bother splitting the grommet open, just use it as a plug for the bundle of wires
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocket
Screwdriver pops the chunk out pretty good if you fiddle with it. Snap the two halves around the new harness and pump it full of silicone to seal

When using the 2" hole like he is, dont bother splitting the grommet open, just use it as a plug for the bundle of wires
Thanks Pocket
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great atten to detail!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you ever owned a car with solid motor mounts before? They are pretty rough for anything you spend much time in.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Have you ever owned a car with solid motor mounts before? They are pretty rough for anything you spend much time in.
I haven't yet and there have been mixed reviews online so I figured I'd try them out. Most people switch to poly mounts where available but they don't give much so solid can't be too much worse. Plus in a manual transmission car there is no load on the engine sitting at a stop so I'd expect solid mounts to transfer more vibration in an automatic car. If I hate them I'll put a rubber one back on the passenger side. If I like that I'll use the left over solid mount on the driver's side of my 01 TA. Guys have been doing the one solid/one rubber thing with older Pontiacs since no one makes poly mounts for Pontiac engines.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I doubt that changing to just one poly mount will make much difference. But, I am glad to hear your results.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you going to keep the original GTA rear end?
I hear they are kinda crappy.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I doubt that changing to just one poly mount will make much difference. But, I am glad to hear your results.
I'd put one of the original rubber mounts back in. Might not be all that great either but that's what I've got so worth a try.

Originally Posted by PnPGuys
are you going to keep the original GTA rear end?
I hear they are kinda crappy.
I'll keep it for now but it'll get a 9 inch later on
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

put the 4th gen tank in yesterday. I didn't modify anything, didn't even take off the EVAP canister. From what I've read it should vent fine through the canister where I won't be using the EVAP, the vent valve just stays open. We'll see how it works out. I used the lines from the 4th that go to the filter and a 4th gen filter. The 3rd gen line screwed right into the T from the 4th gen. I'll need an adaptor to hook the fuel line to the fuel rail. The filter needs to be secured still, not sure where I put the bracket.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-fak9ygj.jpg

Bolted my transmission up and started fabbing a crossmember

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-dw3ltq0.jpg

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-j3w9jlh.jpg

Used an old bearing in the press to curve a pieces

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-ipn5obi.jpg

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-andwpki.jpg

Here it is all welded up

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-nzsz8kx.jpg

Right side up, the curved piece is for exhaust clearance

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-hsfglmj.jpg

And here it is danglin with some paint on it. Cost me $15 and about 2 hrs of time. Alot better than $150 for the ones out there that everyone says don't give any exhaust clearance anyway.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-p0zwusu.jpg

Last edited by t_raven; 07-31-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Trans crossmember bolted up. When I built it I put an extra piece of the 1/4 inch strap under the trans mount to leave the xmember a little low so I have some room for adjustment if I need it. Better too low and shim it than too high and needing to modify it.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-uv6wmn1.jpg

The center link joint on the idler was hitting my compressor

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-ofvxzd3.jpg

I loosened the idler bolts and slid it down as far as it would go and trimmed the stud a little. It clears now but if I need to raise the trans at all it may tip the engine down enough to be hitting the joint again, we'll see.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-ltgzmhb.jpg

I made some block off plates for the AIR and EGR ports on the manifold. I made the mistake of assuming they were all the same. I used one of the AIR gaskets for a template and made three the same size. The EGR port is bigger. Rather than make a new one I oblonged the holes and it worked but it's a hair narrow.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-2qjlhpm.jpg

I plugged the O2 hole in the driver's manifold because there isn't room for the sensor. I used an 18 mm oil plug. I also used 20 mm oil plugs to replace the skip shift solenoid and the oil level sensor in the pan.

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-gjtmlvs.jpg

Put the 4th gen drive shaft in

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-dnuzoau.jpg

I'm putting the battery on the passenger side so I put the 4th gen battery cables in. Then I started cutting a hole for the shifter but I'll finish that tomorrow.

I made this legend for my fuse box. I'm gonna see if the sticker joint in the mall can make a sticker like the original labeled how I have my little drawing

89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap-nr67umd.jpg

It's getting pretty close. Things left to do:
radiator and heater hoses
AC lines
y pipe
intake pipe
mount PCM
a little wiring in the cab, pedals, ALDL, MIL etc.
Throttle and cruise cables (donor had TCS so the cables are too long)
Plug EGR hole in manifold. My coworker has a lathe so he wants to machine me a nice plug for it

That's about it then I have to figure out how to tune out the VATS so it'll start but I do have HPtuners

I got a call this morning about a job in Kuwait. It's short notice, I'd have to go to Mississippi for training on the 27th. I'm gonna go so I'm hoping to pretty much wrap the car up by then, but I have to put all my stuff in storage so it's going to be a busy week.

Last edited by t_raven; 07-31-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 89 Trans Am GTA LS1 t56 swap