Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well yes the simple method of making everything work correctly is to use the rx8 PCM. I had the two under the bumper on top of the crash beam. Not an excellent place for it in the event of a fender bender but really cleaned up under the hood. As for the gauge cluster. Just vandalize it. Lol. Lots of whiney babies will complain that it isn't the right way but it worked for me. As for the unnecessary lights just pop out the LED or block it out. I just used a scribe and popped them out. As for the SES light, oil light, ect. You will need to run an analog wire to an LED in the spot where it is with the stock light popped out. I just drilled a super small hole in the board and soldered it in. Coolant temp, oil pressure, rpm will be sent from the rx8 PCM and work through the CanBus system. Just give the Pcm the information from the stock senders installed on the motor. Where in Texas are you? I'm in north Dallas.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hayabusa-pm sent

98TA6.0- Interesting ok. So you just removed the lights..literally...from the cluster, then soldered your own SES, oil light, ect.. via an LED in the existing spot of the stock light you removed. Then for RPM, coolant temp, and oil pressure you fed from the LS1 units to the rx8 PCM...hmmm alright. Also im in the Plano/Carrollton area, which could also be described as north dallas haha.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in McKinney. Just th SES light was wired in be it was triggered by the ls1 pcm. Everything else works from the rx8 pcm. I even used most of the rx8 AC system when I built the hoses. You will need to install the rx8 ckp, oil pressure, coolant temp senders in the ls1. I used the stock oil pressure sender location with an adapter as well as th port on the aft passenger head for coolant. Ckp was read with the Hinson balancer and factory ckp. Those are sent to ththe rx8 computer.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

McKinney, very nice that is not to far from me. Wish you still had the 8 lol, I would of loved to see it in person and see how it drove, ect.

If i understand correctly.... the LS1 PCM gets its oil pressure from this sensor....

The LS1 PCM gets its coolant temp from this sensor in the drivers side head....

The LS1 PCM gets its crank position from this sensor behind the starter...

The RX8 PCM will get its oil pressure from installing the stock RX8 sending unit either in the stock location or, down at the tap right above the oil filter....

The RX8 PCM will get its coolant temp from installing the stock RX8 sensor in the passenger side hide..by removing the plug and installing the sensor....

The RX8 PCM will get its CKP from installing the stock RX8 ckp to the hinson balancer or in my case the trigger wheel adapter from ls1rx8.com...

Essentially we run double sensors for oil pressure, coolant temp, and ckp....cause 3 feed the LS1 PCM,and 3 feed the RX8 PCM...right? Or am I mis-understanding...lol

As for the build progress, just ordered some goodies from Summit Racing. Should be able to get my ABS relocated with new lines, and the accessory drive all back together with the PS delete in the next few days! Ill update the thread once I get some time.

Last edited by Jabjr26; 06-16-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its pretty much that simple. Hiding/mounting two pcms will be tough though. I put mine on top of the crash beam. Not ideal but worked great.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Nice! Ya its gonna be a pain in the *** to find a place for both that I like, but I guess ill cross that bridge when I come to it haha. Since you are in Texas I feel like I have to ask...were you able to pass inspection with the swap? I have heard mixed things...Im assuming if you get the SES light worked out, then just tune out all the emissions **** with HP tuners you should be fine right? Or can inspection places find out you have the emissions **** tuned out?

Also, got some goodies today! Got something to do tomorrow now...ABS relocation, and getting the accessory drive together without the PS pump.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Default PS Delete complete

Didn't get to much complete today due to Fathers Day festivities...however I was able to get the PS delete "task" crossed off the list.

Here is the 6 rib tensioner pulley I used to replace the idler pulley.

Another shot of the pulley...

Comparison of the idler, and the replacement...

54.75in 6 rib belt...

This is how the new belt routing is, now that the PS pump is gone.

I plan to get all the ABS relocation knocked out this week, ill update as soon as the works done.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep had no issue passing inspection. Just handle the light and codes and you will be gtg.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

^^ Badass that is good news! Because the plan is to get this thing complete, and once finished essentially make it my daily driver (i.e. I would have to pass inspection/emissions). That way I can give my current daily driver to my wife....and everyone will be happy...haha at least that is the plan.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well even though it wont gain much weight (mine actually lost weight. Weighed before and after with full tank) the dynamic distribution will unsettle things a bit. Paired with a chassis that isnt quite suited for that power, makes for an interesting daily. I DD'd mine for a while in Austin without issue. I only sold it because i was putting alot of miles on it and i had a surprise move to dfw that summer. You should really look into a rear end as the 4.44 is impractical. Look into the auto FD 3.90s. They are near impossible to find used and they are very near a grand new. Both of which is cheaper than the 8.8 upgrade. The FD 8" is very strong but you will need to address the axles if you plan to hook and book.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Ya once I get it running as is, I was assuming I would quickly realize a new rear end would be in order if it is going to stay a DD. Thanks for the info!

On a side note I started relocating my ABS and fabbing up some new brake lines this evening. Only got a few hours to work on it after work, then to cap off the night one of the brass flare nuts stripped, now its stuck in the top of the damn abs module. I'm confident I can get it out, but vice grips alone wasn't able to break it loose, so I may end up having to drill it out. I'm fine with drilling it out, but what sucks is none of the local hardware stores have the flare nut I need...ill check NAPA tomorrow, but autozone/o'reillys doesn't have them.
Damn M10 X 1 inverted flare nut!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Found the brake line fittings!

P/N BLF-40C-5 for anyone else looking to replace any RX8 brake line fittings.

Remember though you need M10 X 1.0 thread with inverted flares. Also they need to be 16-17mm long.

Below is the reason why I had to go find the fittings..damn thing rounded right off...luckily it only happened to one though.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Default ABS relocated...

Didn't make as much progress as I would of liked, but I did finally get the ABS module mounted where I wanted it. I toyed with a few ideas, but eventually landed on this one.

As far as the bracket goes...I just used the existing bracket, cut off the 3 studs on the bottom, then drilled out the holes, and used them as weld points to mount the bracket in the new location.

I am going to work on fabbing up the new brake lines tomorrow now that the ABS module has a new home.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Re-thinking ABS lines decision....

So after yard work I was able to get some more done on the car...mainly the ABS lines. However, as I was fabbing up the lines to the master cylinder I realized how much more I would need to do to finish the brake lines if I continue with my initial plan of fabbing up ALL new lines. I think instead I will just be cutting, flaring, and re-using the existing lines as I move forward.

Here are some quick shots of the MC lines I was able to get done today....

Hopefully this week I can get the remaining lines done...once they are finished I can move on to getting some other odds and ends knocked out before the motor goes back in.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Default Pulled the trigger...finally.

Sorry for the lack of update, been sick the last week or so. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought stainless sleel PTFE brake lines for the entire car. Going to go that route now instead of cutting/bending/flaring the existing lines. Its definitely going to take longer, and cost more, but I think in the long run I will like it more. Once the parts arrive ill get them put on, and things rolling again. Should have an update later this week.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Default UPS has come!! New PTFE Lines are here

I finally got the PTFE stainless steel lines in for the ABS relocation. They look good too!

Due to sizing restrictions (the longest being 50 inches), the rear brake lines I had to mate with a -3an union.

Also so there is not a crazy bend in the lines I went with a 90 degree fitting option where it will hook into the ABS module.

The hardest part was finding the correct fittings, finally ii stumbled across some special order fittings that russell performance had. They are a -3an male to M10mm X 1 male with a 45 degree flare.

-3an male

M10mm X 1 male

Once I get the lines all together I be sure to update, should be able to get some time this week or this coming weekend.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sub'd. awesome build!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

^ Thanks...apologies for the slow/lack of progress lately, got sick as hell around July 4th, and just now getting back in the swing of things. Hopefully will get an update after this weekend.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Should be a nice update posted tommorrow! Progress has been slower then what I would of liked, but still progress none the less!!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Default Brake lines, and fuel system work...

Been slow progress the last few months with work being as crazy as it is, but got a few more things complete on the 8!

For starters I finally got around to working on the fuel system setup/solution for the swap. The plan was to just use the corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter. So I had to pull the fuel pump assembly and figure out how I want to get everything together.

Here is the stock rx8 fuel pump assembly all tore down.

I went ahead and removed the stock fuel pump and replaced with a new walbro 255lph unit. Here is a few snaps of the pumps side by side...stock is on the left, and new is on the right.

Once I got the new pump all together I started on the return line setup. The RX8 doesn't have a return line, just a feed line then an EVAP line that runs from the motor back to a charcoal canister. I went ahead and driled a 1/2 in hole in the top of the stock pump housing, and installed a 90 degree bulkhead fitting for the return setup. I made sure to drill it and install the fitting where it provides enough clearance in the pump housing to not cause any issues.

Keep in mind this is not the finished product, I just put a small piece of tube on the return fitting so it can be easily seen. The finalized setup will include a 90 degree fitting on the under side of the return line bulkhead so I can run a ~12 inch submersible line into the bottom of the tank without interfering with the pump housing/unit. On that note I also am ordering another 2 90 degree fittings for the top side feed line, and return line. When I put the assembly back in the car to mock it up it was a tight fit with the straight ends...so Im gonna change it.

Also I noticed when I put the assembly back in that the fuel level sensor wiring was frayed at some areas, and considering its inside the fuel tank or "bomb" if there was ever a spark on the exposed wires. I also will be replacing the RX8 fuel level sensor to remedy that. I thought about repairing it with fuel resistant heat shrink, but I personally would just feel more comfortable replacing the whole wire assembly since its inside the tank.

After a quick lunch break, and parts order I went ahead and buttoned up the fuel system for now so the garage doesnt smell like gas anymore, and got to working on the ABS module relocation, and new brake lines.

I mounted the ABS module in the open space right below the master cylinder
...I think it fits pretty nice actually. At first I was going to run hard lines for the brake lines, but I'm glad I paid the extra money and got the flexible stainless lines. They look great, and were an ease to run...here is a few shots of them roughly ran.

Now while I wait for the parts to come to finish up/finalize the fuel system, I plan on running the brake lines for real, and get them all routed nice, and clamped down to the frame. Also I plan on knocking out the clutch master cylinder, and clutch pedal install. I hopefully can knock that out by next, week, and throw another update up.

Quick Reply: Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside