Sponsored by:

steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT

2. they're half the price of a sn95 one

same reason I've swapped too. I'm using 1" longer out tie rod ends with factory SN95 spindles. Its still a bit short but I'm going to use some .120 wall DOM tubing to cut, extended, slug, and reweld (it will be PLENTY strong and MUCH cheaper than an SN95 rack) the inner tie rods to extend them.

Anyways...I ran out to the garage just now and took apart my shaft, measured it, and snapped some pics for you.

This is the lower half. This is how far the shaft's slide together...to that little notch in the top.

Side by side. The sleeve is still on the small inner part to the right

Mine completely installed with the flaming river knuckle on the rack. Its out about an 1". SO it still have an 1 3/4" of engagement. I think I can slide it out of the fire wall a lil more too actually. It fits fine. This is with the fox rack. It will pull out LESS with the stock rag joint and sn95 rack. I don't know why your shaft is bound up though. Look at it and see if you can see the two notches. Someone before may have pounded it closed to far at one point....Other wise, I'd take a hammer to it and go to town.

Now for building my shaft, all I did was take a sawzall and cut the stock rag joint off the steering shaft leaving as MUCH shaft as possible, clean up the end, slid on the flaming river knuckle, mocked it all up in the car, tack welded it all together, pulled it out, cranked the heat and burnt it all together. You can BOLT it in there with set screws and it will be fine...I just had a welder and liked the piece of mind.

If you check my thread, I showed the fox rack install and steering shaft mods on the first page.

Last edited by ryclef331; 04-07-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryclef331
Anyways...I ran out to the garage just now and took apart my shaft, measured it, and snapped some pics for you.

I don't know why your shaft is bound up though. Look at it and see if you can see the two notches. Someone before may have pounded it closed to far at one point....Other wise, I'd take a hammer to it and go to town.
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post those pics. After seeing just how much engagement there really is I took your advise and got a bigger persuader to do the job. A couple smacks with the right tool and it came apart. I've got it re-assembled and checked off of the list of things to do.

Stop by if you're ever in town, I owe ya a cold one.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem man. Glad to help!

Quick Reply: steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install