Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install

I got the AJE k-member installed in my 95 mustang today and I've run into a problem with the steering shaft. The new kmember must move the rack forward a little, the stock telescoping steering shaft is about an inch short of where it needs to be. Anybody else run into this problem? Is there a way to disassemble the shaft without destroying it or should I just start cutting away at it? OR is there another simpler solution that doesn't require lengthening the stock shaft?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I read this I got worried. I just came in from my garage and measured my steering shaft. From the hole in the column to the dimple in the shaft on the rack I get 13 inches. I modified my steering shaft by removing the rag joint and replacing it with a universal.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sweet-...ints,2031.html

I have the AJE k member in a 93 Mustang. I did not check the fitment with the stock steering shaft. Just get the correct coupler and cut you original shaft, replace the rag joint. Just keep in mind, when cutting the original shaft to keep as much shaft as you can. Its easier to recut than to make it longer.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, don't cut anything just yet.
Bolt the steering shaft to the column's end.
Grab the end where the ragjoint is, hit it with a hammer, away from the firewall. This should pull it out of the firewall far enough to reach. It might pull out easy, it might take a few good smacks.
They're made to give in the event of an impact, a little over-engineering on Ford's part.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Yikes, don't cut anything just yet.
Bolt the steering shaft to the column's end.
Grab the end where the ragjoint is, hit it with a hammer, away from the firewall. This should pull it out of the firewall far enough to reach. It might pull out easy, it might take a few good smacks.
They're made to give in the event of an impact, a little over-engineering on Ford's part.
Thanks for the tip, thats the first thing I tried. Beat the snot out of it with a dead blow, didn't move a bit.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zipster
After I read this I got worried. I just came in from my garage and measured my steering shaft. From the hole in the column to the dimple in the shaft on the rack I get 13 inches. I modified my steering shaft by removing the rag joint and replacing it with a universal.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sweet-...ints,2031.html

I have the AJE k member in a 93 Mustang. I did not check the fitment with the stock steering shaft. Just get the correct coupler and cut you original shaft, replace the rag joint. Just keep in mind, when cutting the original shaft to keep as much shaft as you can. Its easier to recut than to make it longer.
I'm not sure what mine measures, I only know the shaft is too short now. Your link had 2 different couplers available, a double D and a 3/4" round. Did one of these work as a direct fitup on your fox? Mine is a screwball shape that is probably proprietary to ford. Looks like I'll just cut the shaft & add about an inch of tube to it.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

If your car was originally a four cylinder or has the factory solid shaft - cut it and add a piece of solid or hollow thick wall tube stock to make the correct length. Did this on a couple of fox coupes with no issue. Simple and virtually cost free.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dead blow will not move it. Get a real hammer on it.

Tim
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by boostnut
I'm not sure what mine measures, I only know the shaft is too short now. Your link had 2 different couplers available, a double D and a 3/4" round. Did one of these work as a direct fitup on your fox? Mine is a screwball shape that is probably proprietary to ford. Looks like I'll just cut the shaft & add about an inch of tube to it.
I just gave you the link to see what I used, unfortunately I dont remember where I got it from. the link is to show you what I got. One end is 3/4 round, and the other end is splined for the Ford steering rack.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zipster
I just gave you the link to see what I used, unfortunately I dont remember where I got it from. the link is to show you what I got. One end is 3/4 round, and the other end is splined for the Ford steering rack.
Gotcha, thanks for the help although mine looks nothing like that what so ever. Ford musta made some significant changes for the sn-95's.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I just ran into the exact same problem with my swap and AJE k-member. Hammering will work, the part of the steering shaft that comes out of the firewall will slide out a bit. You can also use a little bit of elbow grease... bolt it up properly at the steering rack end, and then you can use a small pry bar at the rag joint to push the other end up towards the firewall until the bolt holes line up, the rag joint has plenty of flex to make up the difference.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

I'll have to get a pic of the shaft arrangement in my car, I don't think its the same as the ones you guys are referring to. Give me a day or 2, I'll get back out to the garage and snap a pic.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Here's a couple pics of what I'm dealing with. As you can see the shaft itself is a unique square shape. The small end is 5/8", it slides into the larger piece that measures 7/8". The end that meets up with the rack is also different. Kind of a triangle shape with 1 side radiused. Once again, probably proprietary ford stuff.
Attached Thumbnails steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install-shaft1.jpg   steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install-shaft2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

That looks wierd, I would get one from a Fox
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Borgeson makes a universal joint that fits that shape. I cant link to it due to the way they have the online catalog, But look at borgeson.com and flip through the online catalog till you find it. they call that 'spline' the '94-up Mustang V'. Swapping a universal joint in place of that rag-joint will gain you some extra length.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

I know you probably read it already but check the first page of my build thread. The stock shaft WILL work. It telescopes in the middle of but it has a plastic "sheeth" between the two sleeves that may be preventing you from slide it out more. It bolted up to mine just fine when I have the stock rack. Then I put in a fox manual flaming river rack and called flaming river to the coupler to adapt the SN95 steering shaft to the fox rack. I can be bolted on but I welded it on (replacing the rag joint) as a just in case. Again look at my thread and you'll see everything I'm talking about. The part that should slide on the stock shaft you can see by the black collar that is showing a gap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryclef331
I know you probably read it already but check the first page of my build thread. The stock shaft WILL work. It telescopes in the middle of but it has a plastic "sheeth" between the two sleeves that may be preventing you from slide it out more. It bolted up to mine just fine when I have the stock rack.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html
I've been thru that thread a number of times, its a great reference for me. You didn't address taking the stock shaft assembly apart, how did you do that? I've got no idea how to get the 2 tubes apart (aside from cutting them). You're correct regarding the plastic sheeth, mine has that. So, how do I get the thing apart without permanent damage?

Anybody could get the bfh out and force the assembly to telescope the additional inch, bolt it together and call it good. Thats not gonna fly this time. I want to know how much engagement I have after extending the stock assembly. I sure don't like the idea of having fractions of an inch of engagement in the steering assembly, sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Launching!

i'll be pulling mine apart this weekend. i've got a 95 gt. i ordered this steering joint, as per flaming rivers reccomendation for using a fox rack. if he doesn't post, i'll let you know what i figure out

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLA-FR1509/
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
i'll be pulling mine apart this weekend. i've got a 95 gt. i ordered this steering joint, as per flaming rivers reccomendation for using a fox rack. if he doesn't post, i'll let you know what i figure out

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLA-FR1509/
Sounds good, its got me puzzled.

BTW, why are you running a fox rack in a 95?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it is probably completely different, but on my fox it's the female part sticking out of the firewall that telescopes, i have never had to do anything but pull by hand to get it to move.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostnut
Sounds good, its got me puzzled.

BTW, why are you running a fox rack in a 95?

1. i have billet specialties skinnies and they have very little backspacinig to clear the brakes and a 3/8 spacer, so i have fox length a arms to tuck them back in 1in. thus the fox rack is the perfect lenth

2. they're half the price of a sn95 one

Quick Reply: steering shaft trouble after AJE kmember install