Sponsored by:

Accessory drive woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory drive woes

Hello,

I've got a junkyard rebuild going on; I have an 80% complete '00 T/A LS1 into a '73 Camaro, with a 100% complete '04(?) GMC Sierra 4.8 for parts. The T/A owner swapped in a 6.0 so he kept stuff like the intake, belts, ecu and harness, and it was already disassembled down to bare block (long story), so I bought this cheap 150k-mile 4.8 for disassembly reference, ecu/wiring, and belt drive. I was following the tutorial in the newbie board sticky for converting truck motors to car intake.

Bad news is, I tried to bolt an LS1 intake I found on craigslist to the 4.8 to confirm fitment, and found that the throttle body interferes with the water pump. (the water pump is the kind that the hose points up, not out towards the radiator.) Am I able to bolt an Fbody water pump to this belt system, or should I find a 5.3 water pump? Tried doing a search and couldn't find an answer. Is there anything else I should plan for when fitting this intake? I already know about the idler pulley/alternator mods for car intakes, plus bending the fuel lines a little bit to clear the coil packs, but this water pump was a curve ball.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

4.8, 5.3, 6.0 all have the same wp. You can use a LS1 pump with spacers to line it up with the rest of the acc. Some guys have been able to bend the truck wp outlet to fit with the LS1 intake.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An 07-up truck water pump will line up and clear the tb.
Blurry pic but you can get the idea.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Teching In

I see. So in theory, I'm able to grab a water pump for another truck that'll bolt up with no problem. I'd like to avoid unnecessary extra purchases if I can; the more parts I add the more things can go wrong (and it costs more). I'll try and avoid a plate if I can. I'll go down to Autozone or somewhere and ask to see a few water pumps from different vehicles to see if they have what I need.

LS1NOVA: First of all, that's a kick@$$ looking turbo set up! I have a question, though; did you have to grind the throttle body at all, or did it fit with no clearance issues? I'm referring to this write up here: http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=384708

Last edited by hotshot_73_camaro; 04-16-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

What throttle body are you using. The one in the write up is a dbw truck body. Any cable or car tb shouldn't require and grinding.

Quick Reply: Accessory drive woes