Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is300 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hooked up a speed based boost controller today. made a number of short test runs between 3psi and 10psi. needs some tuning in the lower boost ranges but is it pretty good at 10psi.

i tried doing a brake boost from a stop and was able to get 3psi before the tires started spinning. this is with cold street tires. i am thinking at the track i will be able to build plenty of boost to leave with. it would be great to not need the nitrous assisted launch but i want to see some 1.4's so we will see.

dyno tomorrow!!!! track friday!!!!! there will be charts and video.

1/8th mile only and with old shitty drag radials but i should be able to get a mph at least.

Last edited by parish8; 08-22-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim are you going to KC on Sept 8th?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
single digit dreamer

What is going on that day?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shitty drag radials = More traction than the street tires! Brake boost to 6psi maybe? WHOOSH!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Completely envious
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
single digit dreamer

made it to the dyno. always fun.

so, before was something like 345na, 445 with a 125shot.

after was 441hp at 6psi and 560hp at 11psi.

i was running out of fuel on that 11psi run. those numbers seem right in line with where i thought it would be. looking at the graph it would seem that the boost is late to come on but you do not feel it at all with the converter and 390 gears. plan is to clean up all of my loose ends and goto the track a few times. shoot for mid 10's or better.

on the way back we ran into a new 5.0. raced him a few times and the ****** pulled on me. turns out i was hitting some kind of over boost and kicking it down to 3psi. after i got that figured out he wouldn't play any more. oh well, it was still fun.

we got some video. that will have to wait, it is my bedtime.
Attached Thumbnails is300 swap-6psi-vs-11psi.jpg   is300 swap-6psi-vs-125shot.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice build! Something different is always cool!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

love this build!!!! i just picked up an 02 IS for $750. guy thought it had an electrical problem, turns out it just needed some new terminals & a battery. i'm starting to do my homework & gather parts for my swap.

i started a facebook page for LSX swaps, http://www.facebook.com/groups/258057997644232/
if you're on FB you should check it out & post pics of your build.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM
single digit dreamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywPj...ature=youtu.be

so, china 76 mounted at the back of the car. seems to work ok.

previous best 7.10@96.3 with a 1.53 60'. thats a 100shot spraying right off the line on a 45deg day.

new best tonight 6.98@102.08 with a 1.68 60' and 10psi

later after a cool down period and some sprinkles hitting the track i ran a 7.03@103.7mph spinning off the line. this was 11psi.

7.5mph better in the 1/8th shows it is making some good power. i tried building some boost off the line while in 1st gear and could not build any boost at all without pushing the car off the line. i even tried the syty shuffle. after a bunch of 7.3's doing that i decided to try launch it in 2nd gear. woohoo. i was able to build full boost and let her rip. car was seeing 9psi at 3800rpm before i let it go and that is what got me the 6.98et. that is nearly the best i am going to be able to do without some nitrous to help it off the line.

next plan is to spray it off the line and leave in 1st. it is just easy. no reason i cant spray it to a 1.5x 60' and knock that et down to a low 6.8x. add in a cooler day and 6.7's seem likely.

drove it to the and from the track. couple of small issues. turbo is passing a fair amount of oil when cold. i have a few ideas on that. once warm it still smokes a little every now and then. i am going to check the restrictor size and hope that fixes both issues.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by RPM Graphics
love this build!!!! i just picked up an 02 IS for $750. guy thought it had an electrical problem, turns out it just needed some new terminals & a battery. i'm starting to do my homework & gather parts for my swap.

i started a facebook page for LSX swaps, http://www.facebook.com/groups/258057997644232/
if you're on FB you should check it out & post pics of your build.
you stole that car.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

rpm - i think i need one of those hats now and lemme know when you ls the is, i wanna be a part of that.

parish - thats awesome your build is very inspirational to ppl like me.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
new best tonight 6.98@102.08 with a 1.68 60' and 10psi

later after a cool down period and some sprinkles hitting the track i ran a 7.03@103.7mph spinning off the line. this was 11psi.

. . .

drove it to the and from the track. couple of small issues. turbo is passing a fair amount of oil when cold. i have a few ideas on that. once warm it still smokes a little every now and then. i am going to check the restrictor size and hope that fixes both issues.
First of all, this is another awesome build! You are a true inspiration to almost every car guy.

I have one question not related to this post I quoted: It looks like you kind of used the engine as a stressed member to allow you to really notch out the subframe aggressively. If I'm seeing it correctly and you really did mount the engine solidly to the subframe, how is the noise level in the car? I guess I just always assumed it would be really noisy that way....?

As for the questions related to this post I quoted, the first one is what quarter mile times you would expect these 1/8th mile times to equate to?

Second, what is your turbo oiling system setup? As in, I assume you are have to be using some sort of scavenge pump setup from the drain... Are you using a separate oil system with its own reservoir at the rear of the car for the oil, or are you letting the engine pump oil to the turbo and then scavenge pumping it out of the drain and back to the engine?

When you find out what size restrictor you have on that turbo, please do tell. I found that a .070" nitrous jet used as a restrictor made a world of difference on my old four banger setup with a Precision 6265 billet wheel. That bastard would smoke at idle when the oil was really hot until I restricted it.

Of course Precision said never ever to use a restrictor. The very knowledgeable vendor I got the turbo from told me that a .070" was just about mandatory and sure enough it cured the problem. Precision was just about to have me send it back in for an inspection..... Sorry for the
Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome build, do you still have the nova wagon? That is probably one of my favorite cars!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Tjabo
First of all, this is another awesome build! You are a true inspiration to almost every car guy.

I have one question not related to this post I quoted: It looks like you kind of used the engine as a stressed member to allow you to really notch out the subframe aggressively. If I'm seeing it correctly and you really did mount the engine solidly to the subframe, how is the noise level in the car? I guess I just always assumed it would be really noisy that way....?

As for the questions related to this post I quoted, the first one is what quarter mile times you would expect these 1/8th mile times to equate to?

Second, what is your turbo oiling system setup? As in, I assume you are have to be using some sort of scavenge pump setup from the drain... Are you using a separate oil system with its own reservoir at the rear of the car for the oil, or are you letting the engine pump oil to the turbo and then scavenge pumping it out of the drain and back to the engine?

When you find out what size restrictor you have on that turbo, please do tell. I found that a .070" nitrous jet used as a restrictor made a world of difference on my old four banger setup with a Precision 6265 billet wheel. That bastard would smoke at idle when the oil was really hot until I restricted it.

Of course Precision said never ever to use a restrictor. The very knowledgeable vendor I got the turbo from told me that a .070" was just about mandatory and sure enough it cured the problem. Precision was just about to have me send it back in for an inspection..... Sorry for the
i did notch the hell out of the frame but welded in a pretty heavy angle iron under the old frame. that along with the engine being solidly mounted in there i think is strong enough. there isn't much vibration at all. there was when the tranny was solid too but i changed that out to a poly mount and now the car is not very buzzy at all. there is a little vibration around 60mph but i am 99% sure that is from my driveshaft angles being off.

6.98 at 103 should be high 10's. my eventual goal is high 9's.

i have a scavenge pump at the rear of the car. just using normal engine oil pressure to feed the turbo. i am 99% sure my oil issues are from gravity putting oil in to the turbo when it is parked. i am going to try a check valve with a 2psi cracking pressure in the feed line. that should stop the flow when parked. i do have a restrictor in there. it is under 1/16th inch which is smaller than a .070 jet.

i hooked the nitrous back up to get me the 60's that i want. might get some new 1/8th mile times tomorrow night.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the excellent info!!! And good luck tomorrow!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Hoping for an update soon. I'm jonesin' for some more of this car and thread!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
single digit dreamer

Hoping for an update soon. I'm jonesin' for some more of this car and thread!
not much to add.

i got a new set of drag radials and took the car out on the street for some test launches. i got the nitrous hooked up for my hole shot and i tried a number of things till i found something that worked. got one really good launch out of it and now something appears to be tweeked. car turns left when i give it gas and comes back around right when i let off. it moves more than i feel is safe.

i got the car on a drive on lift and loaded it in drive and reverse while looking at everything under there. only thing i see is the rear diff bushings are shot but i dont think that would make the car turn. the car does have 220k on it. i am going to replace most of the bushings and a few of the suspension pieces in the rear of the car. an adjustable lower control arm should help be get the camber closer to 0 when i launch it. not sure if these parts will fix the turning problem but i wanted them anyways so i am starting with them. i am also going to solid mount the rear diff to the cradle.

i am at the hospital waiting for my wife to give birth... might slow down the car stuff for awhile but i hope to get to the 1/8th mile this year and push the car.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
i am at the hospital waiting for my wife to give birth...
Whoa, the important part! Congrats, I hope everything goes smoothly!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hope the wife and baby are doing well!

Car question if you're able to get on the computer some, is your wideband sensor mounted pre, or post turbo?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
single digit dreamer

Hope the wife and baby are doing well!

Car question if you're able to get on the computer some, is your wideband sensor mounted pre, or post turbo?

Thanks!
it is about 1/2 way to the back of the car so pre turbo. it is an afx unit and uses the more expensive ntk sensor which seems to be a lot more robust of a sensor. i kill the lc1 sensors all the time on boosted cars.

that being said with a rear mount i bet the cheaper lc1 set up would be fine.

baby is perfect. there was about a 15minute period that was very scary when her heart rated dropped and they did an emergency c section. both mother and baby are doing great now.

Quick Reply: is300 swap