Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb'd LY6/4l80e into a 1968 Nova.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sometimes the simpliest things take some time. Took close to 3 hours to get the harmonic balancer bolt undone and the harmonic balancer off.

The bolt was not so bad just had to get onto it, but the harmonic balancer took time... I was afraid of breaking it.

Spayed it with liquid wrench, used a 5 ton 3 jaw puller and it worked but man ooo man it was on tight!!!!! Finally had to lightly tap on the harmon balancer even though I did nto want to. Hopfully no damage....

Bruce
Old 07-09-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

No valuable input here. I just had to post tho because that pic of your '68 nova from the back with that primer gray looks so much like my old light blue/grey '71. Even the tire size, rear stance, hell even the tread on the tire. Thanks for the flash back, and GL on your project from fellow nova fan. I had a 69,71, and a 73 nova. The first 2 where 4 speed cars and the 73 is a 4 speed car now that runs low 11.20's at a buck 20. It didnt do all that tho until after my dad bought it off me and fixed it all up.
Hell dad is 68 years old and still gets air under the front tires shifting into 2nd.

Oh btw: The '71 i sold about 15 years ago was a 4 speed posi car with no rust solid floor boards and trunk, and decent interior. No rust being huge here in Illinois and I sold that car for like $1200!! Damn that was stupid as hell with 20/20 hindsight vision. I sold it stupid cheap because it was my daily driver and it was nickle and diming me to death.

Anyway GL with your project man and hopefully you will put alot of mustangs, chevells and camaros on their trailers if you go to the track with it.

Jason
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

You so lucky compared to us guys up here in Canada Nova's are pretty rare as they all rusted out. Not much of anything in the Junk yards for them either. You have had a nice collection of novas over the years. Very fortunate of you!

Yeah the 275/60r15 Radial TA's do look good out back. They will be my street tires but will get slicks for the track and put the built 8.5" 10 bolt through its paces. It has clip eliminator kit, street/Strip axels, Detroit locker and 4.10 gears .....

Bruce
Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

always like to see another carb'd LY6! mine's in a truck tho so even tho I bought a cowl hood it wasn't needed. I think the GMPP dual plane LSX/LS3 intake might be a bit taller then the Victor jr.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Nice, I must amit I read your thread. I read so much before starting but still reading more.

I really like your truck. I was looking at that intake as well. I think you are right it might be taller or about the same size as the Vic Jr. I wonder what the dyno difference shows between the 2 intakes? For a street only vehicle I think the dual plan would be better then the single plain but I did not have much of a choice as there were only 4 intakes I found, The dual plain you are using, The Victor Jr. , Super Victor and the GMPP Single plain.

I bet your car runs very strong!

Regards,
Bruce

Last edited by bitterman; 07-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6mrDk_7bjg heres how it runs..lol.. ly6 cammed,carb
Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6mrDk_7bjg heres how it runs..lol.. ly6 cammed,carb
That Rocks!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Launching!

mine will do that....even from a 30+mph roll
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXoldskool
mine will do that....even from a 30+mph roll
I hope mine will too once finished

Tonight I got in the garage for a few minutes (about 1/2 hour) to work on putting the new cam gear on and timing cover.

- I lined up the timing marks
- Undid the cam bolt
- Removed the VVT cam phaser etc.
- Got the New cam gear in the correct place ... was very lucky only took 2 tries! Ensured the timing marked still lined up and they do!! Thank goodness!
- Put the single cam bolt back in, now here it the problem can't find the torque for it

In the mean time I put the ls2 cover on without the crank seal to cover things up and I also confirmed the old cam sensor should work as it is the same dimensions as the new one I ordered... Time will tell when I fire this thing up if all is good!

A very product 1/2 hour!

Once I can torque I'll turn the motor over and ensure all is good and pray for no bent valves! Might get a friend to check things out as this is only the second time I have done a timing srt/gear change and the last time was an old style SBC.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like good progress. Keep it up!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Thanks, Found the info I needed right here on ls1tech.com!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1046torque.gif
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Spent some time the other night in 40 C weather to get the cam gear torqued, Front Cover installed, Look at the wiring, Map sensor, etc etc.

-Front cover all good and installed
-Cam gear torqued NP
-Cam sensor... would not plug into the MSD 6012... had to order 12627501 as it ws not included in my kit like the parts supplied thought it should have been. I was hopping to just plug into the sensor but no dice.
-I need a harmonic balancer install tool. Would like to just pickup a bolt and 3 nuts and big washer but can't find anything.
-Got the intake port plugged and most the fuel setup made for trial start. Also tightened up and used high temp thread sealer on the connections for the carb/fuel log.
-Installed the starter loosely and checked fitment as the crank sensor is behind it.

TODO
------
-Make wires for starter
-Wire up MSD
-Wire fuel pump
-Wire gauges
-Figure out the MAP. The Ly6 has map 12594942 but it does not fit the MSD box wiring harness.
-Start my engine
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Take pictures!

FYI Eagle One Mag Cleaner will do wonders for cleaning up that oxidized aluminum on the heads and water pump.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

How are things coming along?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Things have been crazy the past bit work, accident and 2 weddings (not mine).

I was rear ended in our corolla and as a result been in a lot of pain and not been able to get into the garage. I got the last piece I needed to wire the msd 6012 (cam sensor extension).

The fool that hit me did $6000 in damage. Thankfully as expected the waived the De-ductable etc. They are fixing the car but still worries me due to the damage done to the rear frame of the car.

I seen all the talk about Geoff and Pat G, so I contacted EPS for a cam. It is much smaller then I expected but they are the experts.

The cam they spec'd is much lower than I expected at low 220's on intake and low/mid 230's on exhaust (Not sure if I can give the exact specs out). List was - and + .600 intake and exhaust.

DCR is between 8.2 and 8.4 depending on the calculator I use so should still make great power and nicer low end then the cam I originally was looking at.

Definitely milder than the 227/235 comp I was looking at but it will help limit the RPM as I'm afraid of turning 7k on the stock ly6 bottom end

I was going to order the cam ASAP (Pending approval from the wife ) but the rad went in my truck so waiting a bit since I am still waiting to get my car back for the darn body guy that loves to take $$$$ and not deliver on the job.

Thanks for your interest,
Bruce
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I've got good news and bad news.

Good News Is I got my car back from the body guy.

Bad news is he did nothing in fact the car is in way worst shape now then it was befoer it went to the body shop. It appears he has stored it outside (he always said it woudl be kept inside). He did not complete 1 part of the agree upon work. Not sure if I can post who it is as they are not a sponcer so if anyone is in Ottawa Canada and wants to know who to avoid for body work or Bike/choppers please send me a message. I'm out everything I paid him and the car is going to cost more to get done now due to this idiots lack or morals and constant lying to me about the work he was doing.

Going to have to not do the cam swap and live with the engine as is. I still need to see if he recked the 8.5" 10 bolt I built for the car. I told him when he got it that it had no fluid in it.... He was np it will be stored inside and will nto have to worry about any moisture issues. Suprise one of the may lies he told me.

Thinks were so bad I arranged for pickup of the car as he woudl not even let me come to see it.. was always an excuse... and he always put it off 3-6 months. Gues me having patiece and trust in he was doing what he advertised was wrong. Anyways I got there, car was outside for anyone to take, parts thrown in the car, many wrecked and some posibly missing (have not been able to check everythign yet.)

Needless to say I am very very upset and mad. Car is going to have to go down to bare metal again

Bruce
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitterman
I've got good news and bad news.

Good News Is I got my car back from the body guy.

Bad news is he did nothing in fact the car is in way worst shape now then it was befoer it went to the body shop. It appears he has stored it outside (he always said it woudl be kept inside). He did not complete 1 part of the agree upon work. Not sure if I can post who it is as they are not a sponcer so if anyone is in Ottawa Canada and wants to know who to avoid for body work or Bike/choppers please send me a message. I'm out everything I paid him and the car is going to cost more to get done now due to this idiots lack or morals and constant lying to me about the work he was doing.

Going to have to not do the cam swap and live with the engine as is. I still need to see if he recked the 8.5" 10 bolt I built for the car. I told him when he got it that it had no fluid in it.... He was np it will be stored inside and will nto have to worry about any moisture issues. Suprise one of the may lies he told me.

Thinks were so bad I arranged for pickup of the car as he woudl not even let me come to see it.. was always an excuse... and he always put it off 3-6 months. Gues me having patiece and trust in he was doing what he advertised was wrong. Anyways I got there, car was outside for anyone to take, parts thrown in the car, many wrecked and some posibly missing (have not been able to check everythign yet.)

Needless to say I am very very upset and mad. Car is going to have to go down to bare metal again

Bruce
I did a little googling on Small claims court in Ontario. It is part of the superior court and the limit is $25000. Please make use of this and get your money back plus damages. Sorry for your hard luck.

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...cc/default.asp
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by futureuser
I did a little googling on Small claims court in Ontario. It is part of the superior court and the limit is $25000. Please make use of this and get your money back plus damages. Sorry for your hard luck.

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...cc/default.asp
Thanks I have been looking into this also already talk to a lawyer and things do not look good to collect anything. Basically some searches show he already has a judgement against him and order to pay for over 10K for a bike he was supose to build.. Well sounds like the same sorta thing he took $$$$$ and never did the work so the person took the bike and took it to another shop.

The lawyer said it will cost about $2500 to sue him for the 5k paid on the job already and realistically would never collect. Who knows what the other damages and parts he has not reuturned and how bad he damaged he rest. Won't know till the car is done again and being put back together.

The think that insults me the most of this. The person/busines that was supose to do the body work knew it was being done as a tribute to my late father. Dad went down to Jersy city NJ to pickup the car with me so some fond memories this idiot is trying to taint.

I wish there was a legal way to cause him the mental pain he has caused me and also finantal problems for him also. Maybe time for a SEO research and do a negative marketing campain against him and the XXX Chopper Works company he owns/operates so he never can rip anyone off again.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may very well be able to haul him into court without an attorney. However, if there are other judgements out there against him, it may be difficult to collect your judgement. At least you will cause him some pain and inconvienience. Good luck, and I hope your parts turn out okay.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Thanks, Not sure what I am doing yet. Looking at the car burns me to no end, so might be better to put the lawyers fees towards fixing the body work for my own mental sanity. I have a wife and a family and I can't let them suffer with the destructive mood that this is causing. Must move past it and not lower myself to this idiots level and in turn become a better person. It is not worth the mental anguish to torment myself. It is much better to work towards the end goal and that is getting the Tribute to my late father finished and on the road.

I might try to do the body work myself, will surely take a long time as I have an unheated garage and limited funds due to the $$$$ I was ripped off for. Also have a name of a reputable shop that might be interested in finishing my car for me. Have to make the decision what todo. The lawyer did not charge me and said honestly save your $$$$$ I don't want to take it as it will not do you any good anyways. You will get a judgment based on the facts, pictures e-mail etc you have but never collect.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Carb'd LY6/4l80e into a 1968 Nova.