Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam tube not flowing coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steam tube not flowing coolant.

I have been having problems with my LQ4 creeping up to 200-210 even with a 160* t-stat. After checking a few things I refilled my system and noticed that I never saw water flowing out of my steam tube. I know this isn't normal but what could be the cause? Also could this be the reason my temps keep creeping up?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like you have an air pocket.

Is your radiator lower than the top of the engine's coolant path?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Sounds like you have an air pocket.

Is your radiator lower than the top of the engine's coolant path?
Well, It is the stock location for a 89 Camaro. BTW I filled the system through the upper radiator hose just to make sure I was coming from the highest point and still nothing. My next idea is to crack open the ECT sensor to see if coolant flowed from there. I know it isn't at the very top but it might help.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unbolt one of the steam tube fittings when filling the radiator. Bolt it back in place once you get coolant out of it. Putting the front end on jack stands to get the radiator higher helps also.

Another option is hooking up a mytivac to the steam tube while filling.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Unbolt one of the steam tube fittings when filling the radiator. Bolt it back in place once you get coolant out of it. Putting the front end on jack stands to get the radiator higher helps also.

Another option is hooking up a mytivac to the steam tube while filling.
I will try that but the funny thing is I let the car run with it unhooked and still nothing. I let it get up to about 180 degrees thinking if it's a "steam tube" I should see steam
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check for blockage in the attaching block, tubes and hoses.. See if you can blow air into the tube/hoses from the radiator side of the hose.?

Just make sure it is cool and use a bit of compressed air...? not full 100+ PSI..
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This part will help you determine if you have not completely filled your cooling system:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...ightGlass.html

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeJTR
This part will help you determine if you have not completely filled your cooling system:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...ightGlass.html

Thats pretty cool right there. Call me crazy but if you have the straight neck T-stat housing with old school t-stat what is the correct way to fill these things? If you try and fill it from the radiator (lower rad hose) it never gets into the engine. Maybe the way I'm doing it is causing the problem. I fill the system from the upper radiator hose.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

My steem tube was clogged up solid when I purchased the motor from the salvage yard andx my motor only had 55k on it. It was so clogged solid that I had to drill it out. You might check your stteam tube.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
Thats pretty cool right there. Call me crazy but if you have the straight neck T-stat housing with old school t-stat what is the correct way to fill these things? If you try and fill it from the radiator (lower rad hose) it never gets into the engine. Maybe the way I'm doing it is causing the problem. I fill the system from the upper radiator hose.
I'm calling you crazy.
The old style small-block thermostat will not work well in the LSx. The LSx uses a diverter style thermostat.
The old small-block uses a bypass style of thermostat.
What this means is that using the old style thermostat will allow hot coolant to recirculate through the engine, instead of being diverted to the radiator. This can cause the engine to run hot.

Because the thermostat is incorrect, it may be a reason that coolant does not flow from the steam vent tube. It may be a reason, but then again, it may not.

To help solve your coolant issues, install a thermostat designed for the LSx.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
My steem tube was clogged up solid when I purchased the motor from the salvage yard andx my motor only had 55k on it. It was so clogged solid that I had to drill it out. You might check your stteam tube.
Hmmmm you might be onto something. I will check that and let you know.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm calling you crazy.
The old style small-block thermostat will not work well in the LSx. The LSx uses a diverter style thermostat.
What this means is that using the old style thermostat will allow hot coolant to recirculate through the engine, instead of being diverted to the radiator. This can cause the engine to run hot.

Because the thermostat is incorrect, it may be a reason that coolant does not flow from the steam vent tube. It may be a reason, but then again, it may not.

What about all of the replacement TSTAT housing that use the old style thermostat? I could use a straight housing, but Im afraid of the issue you mention. However, its seems like they aren't an issue because many are running them without issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm calling you crazy.

My experience (5 years and 15,000+ miles) says the old style works fine using a straight neck housing. Working for lots of other folks too. Your mileage may vary of course.

Pat
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Do you need this stupid 'steam tube' if you're running a pressurized coolant bottle and that bottle happens to be the highest point in the cooling system? Reason I ask is because I do NOT want to run coolant hoses to my throttle body.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kendogg
Do you need this stupid 'steam tube' if you're running a pressurized coolant bottle and that bottle happens to be the highest point in the cooling system? Reason I ask is because I do NOT want to run coolant hoses to my throttle body.
You don't have to run them through the throttle body. Bypass it and run them to the radiator.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You don't have to run them through the throttle body. Bypass it and run them to the radiator.
Why do I need to run it at all, why can't I just put a plug on that nipple by the left (drivers side) head?

Last edited by kendogg; 06-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of debate on your question kendogg. Design is to relieve steam in the heads to prevent hot pockets. Some folks are plugging it and claim no problems. My faith is with the engineers who designed it and convinced the GM bean counters they need to spend the money to put it on every LS based car and truck motor.

Pat
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Well it turned out that my steam tube was infact clogged. I took it off and used compressed air to clear it out. I will have to drive it one day this week to see if it helps with tempeture creeping up. I also believe my inter cooler maybe blocking too much air but we will see. Thanks folks!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

I'm calling you crazy.

Well the straight neck housing is designed for LSx engines. The factory one wouldn't work for me because of all the turbo stuff on my car..... But I do appreciate the input.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
Well the straight neck housing is designed for LSx engines. The factory one wouldn't work for me because of all the turbo stuff on my car..... But I do appreciate the input.
My turboed thirdgen ran quite hot because i had a stock rad. I had 3 cooling fans on it, 2 pushers, 1 big puller and it would finally stay cool. The intercooler does block a lot of air. Make sure you have that little black panel on the bottom because it forces air to go up into the radiator. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks,
Tim

Quick Reply: Steam tube not flowing coolant.