Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Project BMW E46 357ci V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikealarmblair
Oh yeah it's gained a bit of weight..... It's 1499kg so 78kg heavier not all of that is engine tho, it's down to bigger brakes/wheel spacers/anti roll bars/diff/boot floor mods etc so it's about the same weight as a STD M3
The diff swap with the bigger axle alone should be about 20kg worth of weight!

Great swap, once I'm done with chassis prep I hope I can pull it off as fast as you!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my god thats awesome lol, good job man!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the positive comments

We don't have smog tests over here what have is yearly MOT test which includes a CO2 test.

Originally Posted by gisqc
The diff swap with the bigger axle alone should be about 20kg worth of weight!

Great swap, once I'm done with chassis prep I hope I can pull it off as fast as you!
Are you doing a conversion?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bikealarmblair
Thanks for all the positive comments

We don't have smog tests over here what have is yearly MOT test which includes a CO2 test.

Are you doing a conversion?
Kind of, building a race-car with the LS1 powerplant, but im taking all the hard parts out of it (beside headers routing which is a must).

Will solve CAN-BUS with an ACL dash.

Heres the link : https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...1-t56-bmw.html
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gisqc
Kind of, building a race-car with the LS1 powerplant, but im taking all the hard parts out of it (beside headers routing which is a must).

Will solve CAN-BUS with an ACL dash.

Heres the link : https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...1-t56-bmw.html
If you need abs, aircon etc you'll need can bus, the biggest mistake I made was removing the OE engine ecu, this has created me a load of work!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I've got to the bottom of some of my issues today I've refitted the cars engine ecu with hindsight I should never have removed it.... & now have a working temp gauge & I've been able to scan the car & the reason (or at least one of) I have no abs or speedo is because the car is not seeing the rear wheel sensors the M3 rear end is from a later 2004 car with DSC & it looks like the sensors are not compatible with my ASC unit so tomorrow I'm going to try & get some older sensors & fit them, with a bit of luck that will sort my brake issues too only leaving to decide which way to resolve the tacho either machine my front pulley & fit the BMW sensor or source a convert box from the chevvy crank sensor to the BMW one.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

The last few days have been a blur!!!! I'd say the car is 90% now my todo list is almost empty I think all that's left is to have the aircon gassed, alignment done & tweak the map when it's got a few more miles on it, oh & fix it.....

Obv you just can't buy aircon lines for chevvy in a bmw off the shelf so at DynoTorque that means Craig makes them....

I've gained control of most of my gauges, I made this really hard work for myself by taking out & selling the bmw ecu with the engine I didn't realise how much of the car was connected to the DME, heater, aircon, abs, speedo instrument cluster with the help of my mate rob & a bentley manual, bmw tis, bmw laptop software, chevvy laptop software, digital volt meter & a lot of time we refitted what we needed of the bmw DME & wiring and had a trigger wheel made to so the DME still thinks the bmw engine is fitted.....

All of which gives it

Took a couple of pics before I drove home in it last night

Unfortunately the bmw expansion tank has sprung a leak so I'm off to try & source one or there will be no UBMW for me
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Bad *** build. Top notch work and results.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

Another sweet sleeper!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Cheers I go to say it is awesome
Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Awesome build!!! This gives me inspiration to start my swap. Can't wait to maybe see some WOT vids. What sump did you use on the motor? From the pics it looks like it is a stock one of some sort. Also do you think if you used the basic dial climate control instead of the full auto would you still need the BMW ECU? Did you have to modify the shifter location? I bet it is a blast to drive.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice work. Good attention to detail, and your friend Craig has some serious skills. Congrats on getting the factory gauges working too!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM

So overall how much did you spend and how long did it all take? I want to do this with my car. I have the 2005 version of your car exactly and I want that sound/power
Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greenmonster138
Awesome build!!! This gives me inspiration to start my swap. Can't wait to maybe see some WOT vids. What sump did you use on the motor? From the pics it looks like it is a stock one of some sort. Also do you think if you used the basic dial climate control instead of the full auto would you still need the BMW ECU? Did you have to modify the shifter location? I bet it is a blast to drive.
Nope shifter is in the correct spot but the hole needed enlarging. You'll need the BMW DME (ECU) whatever you do.

Originally Posted by tigekid
So overall how much did you spend and how long did it all take? I want to do this with my car. I have the 2005 version of your car exactly and I want that sound/power
You can see how long it's taken from the posts, I've spent just over £11k
Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

seems I've neglected to update this thread So lots of posts in one follow.

Not really an update more just an excuse to post a pic or two

Wideband sensor controller

Craig made me an adaptor to put the sensor in the exhaust

Still a few bits to to make it 100% finished but its getting close
Over the coming weeks/months time & money permitting I'll be:
Sort ABS/brake issues, still have a long pedal & odd ABS performance I really don't want to remove the ABS but it's becoming an option & fit rear AP's
Sort Air bag faults (passenger seat pad override)
Connect oil level sensor from LS1 sump to BMW DME
Find/sort irritating noise from rear seat/shelf area
Get air con gassed
Replace front tyres
Decide how high/low I want the car & get Alignment sorted
Make front strut brace & mod tower so camber can be adjusted easier.
Fit Parrot hands free kit
Make it quieter
Map the fuelling
Drive it like I stole it
So over the last month I've been a bit lazy/unfocussed but I have done a couple of bits to it....
Brakes: I'm hating brakes at the moment! I found that the ABS module was faulty so finally gave in and ditched it another set of new braided lines were made up and fitted, I have brakes..... Well kinda it now stops in a straight line but pedal feel travel is still the same So it must be a master cylinder ratio issue even tho the maths say it's all fine.... So I replace it with a bigger one & also put the rear AP calipers back on & the difference is minmal Without Craig pushing me at this point I'd have just parked it up & sulked! Craig modified the pedal pivot but still no real difference it seems that everything makes it a 'little' better but nothing fixes it 100% we also changed the servo as we had one but no difference... I'm beaten!!! Craig isn't tho he checks the internal diameter of the pipes & it's dash 4 not the dash 3 he specified (means nowt to me either) so yesterday I made new front lines with dash 3 and the pedal is 75% better!!! Going to change the rear lines too & fingers crossed I should have the amazing brakes this car needs! Craig your a hero without you this would be just another unfinished project.

I've made a sensor pad bypass for the passenger seat airbag mean the pass airbag will always trigger now, these are on eBay for £15 but I made mine using 2 100ohm resistors & a diode so about a £1

I've replaced the front tyres with some awesome Dunlops (well Craig treated me to them as a unneeded thank you for getting his website up to date ) they have transformed the car the grip & turn in is fantastic wet or dry very impressed this is the first E46 I've had that doesn't understeer

I've been twiddling with the HSD's & have a decent compromise between looks & bottoming out getting to the garage, I've also backed the front camber off from 3degrees to 2degrees since fitting the Dunlops but will still get it aligned at some point if only to see how close to correct I've got it.

Been logging the fuelling/mapping & it was being restricted by the MAF/throttle body so before an E46 forum dyno day I decided I'd change the MAF with one we had just before I left for the dyno.... Car felt flat as a fart and made shockingly low 326bhp on the dyno, on my return to DynoTorque after some of the **** take had stopped Craig told me the MAF I'd put on was from a car that had been written off in floods..... No wonder it felt flat!!! So I took it off & Craig got busy porting the throttle body for me & also persuaded Pinhead to remove the LS2 MAF from his ute (he's had a mafless tune) so I could use it on mine a few new pipes later & it feels like a new car the bottom end is now so sharp the pick up is much faster much more mapping/tuning is needed but I can't believe the difference it's made so far.

So my to do list now looks like:
Replace rear brake lines again
Interface LS1/BMW oil sensor
Fit/gas aircon compressor
Front strut brace
Fit Parrot
Fix rattles
Mapping
And more destroying rear tyres

Blair
Brakes are now sorted and are amazing
Aircon compressor & lines fitted just need to get it gassed
Strut brace is being made this week
I've found two of the rattles (both are not conversion related)
I'm about to make my first mapping changes to the ecu
& it needs more tyres....

http://youtu.be/mCbg2CLWl50

How nice does that sound
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

SEXY SEXY SEXY I'm putting one in an e31 soon
Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by One Bad Duramax
SEXY SEXY SEXY I'm putting one in an e31 soon
I'm about to sort some wiring out on an E21 that's got an LS3 in it
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Took the car over to Greg @ ProTuner for mapping today 14 hours of mapping....

I'll let the pics & vids do the talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOdkf...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbNu...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6wC...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeFL...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPc21...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ytK...e_gdata_player

And of course the scores on the door.....

407 bhp 430ft Lbs both at flywheel

Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I love this car B) I needed to go into brum earlier & left it parked in a side street, when I walked back to the car it just looked aggressive I walked past it & then back from the other way just so I could look it some more.... Not sure if it makes me a bit odd tho? I wanted to take a pic but felt like a **** so didn't lol

Popped into DynoTorque on the way back for a cuppa & cause the car keeps leaving lines.... Craig thinks it may be impossible to fix.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6Kd...e_gdata_player

Any ideas on how I can fix this problem....

Took a few new pics & never being one to miss a chance to post them enjoy

My fav pic of the car to date

Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

sexy!!!!!!! what sump did you end up going with ? I need ideas for my e31 build
Thanks

Quick Reply: UK Project BMW E46 357ci V8