Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project high school: 5.3 in 72 nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put my ECM under the driver's fender.

And let me just say your daughter is one lucky girl! It took me all of 2 months to grenade one of the rocker arms on my wheezer 307 after turning 16. Though my dad bought me a healthy 350 (which I eventually made a little healthier), it still doesn't compare to a fuel-injected LS motor. great work, and I'm glad she's involved.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I/we have a lot of work to do under the hood. We need to clean it up alot and want to "hide" a bunch of the wiring. still fighting the whole rim/backspacing thing to put the solid centerlines back on. Then its an alignment and tune. This site has been a tremendous amount of help. can't believe how smooth and strong the motor runs stock, glad i did this.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

hookemdevils22- yeah she is lucky. but she earned it. We made a deal, stay in school, don't get knocked up, and stay off of drugs, then i would build it for her. She works on it regularly, washes it alot and bugs me to finish it even more. The smile on her face when i see her cruising town is worth all the bloodshed. This car turned out to be way more than what i expected when i started, but hey do it once and be done. When i get the car done i am taking it to NicD to have it tuned. Then maybe cruise Chandler a little and pick a fight with the yellow car. ha ha. and oh yeah, nearest i can tell we're getting about 16 mpg just cruising it around, it almost gets better mileage around town than my wife's 2011 traverse- and looks way cooler.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Haha, I'll be on the lookout. Just look for the big ugly Nova that hasn't been washed in eons and has some chips in the paint. Man, I wish I were a paint and body man.

Let me know if/when you get out this way with it, I'll definitely try to make it out. I'd even stop by AZ Dyno Chip (I'm assuming that's where Nic would have you do it) to see what she puts down.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome build. The car looks great! I'm still in the process of doing my ls1/T56 swap in a 1964 chevelle ss.

I noticed you are both in Arizona. I'm out in East Mesa. There is a car show this Saturday Nov 3rd at Desert Ridge High School from 9am to 2pm. I would love to see you guys out there. Here's some more info on the show.

http://www.nationwidecarshows.com/in...ntinfo&id=7019
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

i would love to go! but i have to work. I have real good friends that own desert star automotive ( the old broken wheel shop ) so i go down there occasionally. The only thing i really wish i had done different is put in a t56. My daughter can really roll through the gears on my dually and she begged me for a standard. The 4l60 was the right price though. my next project is the 68 firebird ( see username and how this whole thing came to be) so i will put one in that.
Thank you for the invite though.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted my computer on a custom bracket i made with angle iron. hidden inside the driver fender up against the firewall, Completely hidden!!

I just pulled it out, so when i put it back in the next couple days ill take some pics.

BTW are you still in show low or was it pinetop? My parents moved to showlow so ill be down for some local car shows in your area.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

man, I'd love to, but we're headed out to california for the weekend for a buddy's birthday. fyi we have an AZ owners' thread over at steve's nova site, where we try to setup meetings and hopefully someday cruises.

I second the T56 sentiment. I'm kicking myself for not selling the 4L80e.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Launching!

74novacustom- i live in Kearny, down in the desert. about an hour from mesa. I did however race dwarfcars in showlow for a while when I lived in payson, from 2003-2006 and phoenix same time (man i miss Manzanita speedway). I would love to see how you mounted that so please take pics and post them here or send me a message.

hookemdevils22- I will check out steve's and sign up over there.

Last edited by ls68firebird; 11-02-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
man, I'd love to, but we're headed out to california for the weekend for a buddy's birthday. fyi we have an AZ owners' thread over at steve's nova site, where we try to setup meetings and hopefully someday cruises.

I second the T56 sentiment. I'm kicking myself for not selling the 4L80e.
You SHould have sold me that damn 4L80E now im Ba**s deep into this TH400.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ls68firebird
74novacustom- i live in Kearny, down in the desert. about an hour from mesa. I did however race dwarfcars in showlow for a while when I lived in payson, from 2003-2006 (man i miss Manzanita speedway). I would love to see how you mounted that so please take pics and post them here or send me a message.

hookemdevils22- I will check out steve's and sign up over there.

Hey did you know that there's a new dirt track open now at ET motopark? It will be a much closer drive for you. It's south of the freeway off of Ironwood.

http://arizonaspeedway.net/
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Hey did you know that there's a new dirt track open now at ET motopark? It will be a much closer drive for you. It's south of the freeway off of Ironwood.

http://arizonaspeedway.net/
Ya that place gets packed...
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Launching!

sold the car a few years back. my cousin is leading the superstock points there, or he was a few weeks ago anyways. If I go to the track I will want a car again and my wife will want a divorce again. ha ha. I would have to sell the daughter's nova to buy a car then i would have two pissed of females in the house . NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

by the way. i have two early 4l80e's that have a park brake on the back. Think of a 4 wheel drive tranny, but instead of a transfer case bolted on, there is a prk brake backing plate and drum assy. don't want them and got them when i was going to convert to a 9" disk that didn't have park brakes. Both need rebuilt. but i would trade them for something. one has torque converter still. I think they are spaced right for non ls motors. they were behind throttle body 350's in some heavy railroad trucks.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

And i am running an inner fender, i just had it unbolted to put the computer back in.

Last edited by 74novacustom; 11-02-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Launching!

i like that. i will take a look at mine when i get home and start a plan.
thank you
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build. It looks like her original color is the same as my car.

Did i miss what headers you went with? That is my next decision to make.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Launching!

nuckifuts- i used dynatech swap headers. They fit the steering box real good, however, they hang low (possibly my mounts, but other people's do too) and you need to modify two of the spark plug wires so they don't hit the header. I just went to autozone and bought the cheapest set of wires that had long 45's on the end and transfered them to the good set i bought from Napa. They have a threaded bung welded just before the collector that is at an angle like for a vacuum line to purge the crankcase (drag racer trick) that is where i put the o2 sensors. seems to work good. Some have used the shorty headers to avoid the ground clearance issues, I would look into that option if i do it again. But I am a big fan of long tubes. The finish is real nice and the flanges are thick. The collector is awesome as it uses 4 bolts and a half round captive donut that allows some offset within the collector itself. That part i really like.

Quick Reply: project high school: 5.3 in 72 nova