Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion Harness Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used PSI for my swap and was very happy with the product, service, and cost. They answer ?s via phone/email like 24/7.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

PSI Harness is now on order. I think John called me back from home a couple of times or at least much later than he would have liked to! So far, great service. Clutch and flywheel should be here tomorrow, harness next week, project "priorities" might actually start to come together. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSI is the way to go last time I checked
Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I've used both Speartech and PSI. I'd probably go with PSI again but only because of cost...both are excellent.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Launching!

I've never heard of this PSI guy's site, but I just found it http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/PSI/

So I"ll check him out since I'm shopping for my 2nd LS swap harness mods again.
I've used Speartech for one harness 5 years ago. His work is top notch, but his prices are up there.

I investigated Wait4me but after 4 phone calls I kept getting his wife and never
got a hold of the guy that runs the business. Now I know where he got his company name from.
I left him 3 voicemails, and not one call back. So for me, that kills his chances to get my business.
God help me if I had an issue and needed it resolved or support.

I am currently aimed at using www.lsx-harness.com but I'd like to check out this PSI guy's prices
since he's recommended here.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Honestly I would recommend doing it yourself... You can pick up a harness for under $250 and it only takes about 4 hours total. I just did mine and I just layed it out on the floor and watched tv while I sorted it out.

To me 4 or 5 hours is worth 300-500 dollars.

Its suprisingly simple, you just take it one wire at a time and you can get it to fit perfectly on your exact vehicle.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

^what he said...not very hard.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Teching In

I had a hard time finding info for the 2006 + motors and the higher toothed reluctor wheel. any direction for a pinout schematic?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I've never heard of this PSI guy's site, but I just found it http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/PSI/

So I"ll check him out since I'm shopping for my 2nd LS swap harness mods again.
I've used Speartech for one harness 5 years ago. His work is top notch, but his prices are up there.

I investigated Wait4me but after 4 phone calls I kept getting his wife and never
got a hold of the guy that runs the business. Now I know where he got his company name from.
I left him 3 voicemails, and not one call back. So for me, that kills his chances to get my business.
God help me if I had an issue and needed it resolved or support.

I am currently aimed at using www.lsx-harness.com but I'd like to check out this PSI guy's prices
since he's recommended here.

Just go psi they have great prices and even if they are a small shop the owner answers the phone and supports his product.. Its really a no brainer..

Now if they'd just stop using flat 4 pin connectors for the O2 sensors they'd be perfect
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys that did their own harness mods....

I assume there are special tools and terminals etc needed. What are the prices and sources of those?

On what I would want to do, it would be removing all emissions stuff, and relocating the ECU and TAC module (02 LQ9) into the cab (swap into a 1950 truck) Of course the ignition switch and what not to power it up as well.

I would guess this would be pulling all the wrapping/tape off, identifying what I can pull for like EGR, evap etc and what not and tracing those wires back to the ECU and pulling the pins out of the connectors. Then I would figure out how much wire to splice into the harness to put the ECU I want and splicing it with sodder/crimps and some shrink wrap.

Do you use the same color wire for everything or all or source many different colors to match what is there? I suppose if you were to splice the extensions in line you could keep the stock colors on both ends and just have the new stuff in line. Twice the sodder joints that way though as opposed to extending the wires with one joint and crimping on new ends for the ECU plug.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duwem
Guys that did their own harness mods....

I assume there are special tools and terminals etc needed. What are the prices and sources of those?

On what I would want to do, it would be removing all emissions stuff, and relocating the ECU and TAC module.........
There are no special tools required. You can just use a paperclip to release the pins from the connectors. I used an LS1 Fbody harness and it was pretty long already so it can reach to fit in my glove box as is. I believe the truck harnesses are a lot shorter since they have the ECU in the engine bay.

Go to the Conversions and Hybrids LS1 FAQ section and you will find the pinout you need.

I just went through the pinouts and verified what each plug was, made sure there was a connection to the right pin on the ECU connectors(red/blue), and labeled them. Then I removed all the emissions related connectors, Transmission related connectors, rear O2's, and moved some connections to other locations (i.e. engine coolant sensor, 02 sensors, coil pack connector, etc). I put it on the engine and shortened a bunch of the connectors so it fit more snuggly.

There will be probably 100+ wires to extend if you are going to try to move your ECU, but you should be able to find a harness that will reach. The LS1 Fbody harness should easily go into your glovebox.

At first it seems really daunting but after you remove all the plastic and tape then its pretty easy to trace your wires. Get a Multimeter and read ohms, then just hook a paperclip to one lead and stick it in the plug, then look at your list if you know what the plug is and find the pin on the red or blue connector, or you can just start running through the plugs until the needle jumps, then you know you've got a connection.

I think I ended up removing around 30 wires.... thats about a half a pound in weight savings! So whats that in the quarter??? Like 0.0005 seconds!! Well worth it!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Oh ya, The wires I have extended I just cut in the middle, then soldered in the length wire I needed in the middle, didnt matter what color, then heat shrinked the connections. That way I didnt have to go find the same color wires and the end connections still had the same color.
Just make sure you use proper soldering techniques...
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where in the car is the Fbody LS1 computer located? Trying to vision where abouts it would be in relation to the engine.

Is there a F body style harness for drive by wire engines?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duwem
Where in the car is the Fbody LS1 computer located? Trying to vision where abouts it would be in relation to the engine.

Is there a F body style harness for drive by wire engines?

I believe it is behind the glovebox inside the car, but am not 100% positive on that. Mines going into an 1981 C10 truck... The ECU plugs break off the harness at the back of the passenger side head and extend about 2 feet back, so you should be able to make it to your glove box pretty easy. I can send some pictures of the stock harness if you want, just PM me your email.

All F-body's were drive by cable... I think the only LS1 car that came with DBW was a 2004 GTO.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would that be an LS2 then?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Launching!

No 2004 GTO's came with DBW LS1's. 2005 and 2006 were the LS2's.

Quick Reply: Conversion Harness Suggestions