Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you for reposting my message. I will keep your grandpa & aunt in my prayers. If you have any questions about their diagnosis, treatment, or services that could help with their fight, don't hesitate to call the American Cancer Society 1-800-ACS-2345.

The tune thing seems strange to me and it really begs the question - if the VVT isn't programmed into the ECM, what the heck is the cam phasor doing? Is it going to full advance/retard?

I don't know much about Pontiac engine values, but that price reasonable to me. I might counter with a couple hundred more because you are giving him a transmission core and a driveshaft. The engine alone might be worth $1k if it is in good running condition.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

leezec, that may be what i'm talking about. i also saw a 65 at good guys here in scottsdale earlier this year with 04 interior pieces integrated, and man it looked sharp.

fatfree, were you running headers with that 400? cuz i could use a cheap set in mine...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the old engine, trans, driveshaft and some other misc parts are gone. Guy came last night to get it. Ended up going for the $1000. When we first talked I was trying to get $1500 but I'm happy in the end. It was only going to take up space.

Hookem, I was running stock manifolds before sorry can't help you there.

Lizeec, thanks for the measurements sounds like someone got a pretty good deal from you for that engine with the tripower.

Quaman, good luck with your 65 you should start a build thread when you get to wrenching on it.

Bandit, thank you. I donated a little bit the other night I was surprised at how quickly your total is going up!! Good job! As for the cam phaser, you bring up a good point... Where exactly is the cam setup then..
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Great car where did you get intake tube kit at?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its a tube made by Airaid that you cut up to make a custom intake. I have changed it a bit since the most recent photos on here, I will get some pics of my current setup this weekend. This is the kit http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=100-400

I also used spectre 9771 silicone clamps http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9771/ These clamps are nice because they include a removable reducer ring for the MAF sensor. If you are running an 85mm MAF like I am you need the reducer because the MAF measures 3.7" or so vs the 4" tube.

And an Airaid filter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AID-700-453/
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just won a black 06 GTO interior on ebay so now I have another project to work on. Probably should have focused on rust hole repair but thats no fun!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a photo of my intake setup now. I like this better then the straight tube going to the filter.

Speartech got my computers on Saturday and we spoke on the phone today. He told me that the VVT is active and working just as it should. I'm not sure why the dyno shop is so convinced that it is not there. John also told me that the VIN in the computer doesn't really relate to the tune that he loaded, so while the dyno may be seeing that corvette vin it really has nothing to do with the tune program that is running my engine.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trying to figure out what I want to do about gauges. I really think the Speedhut Revolution gauges could look nice, I messed around in photoshop a little bit to see how it "could" look. I'm thinking these are the ones I will order. Check it out.

Before sorry HPP for stealing your photo.

After
Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

I think those gauges would look great *IF* you can get them mounted behind your brenzel
Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's the problem I'm trying to figure out. I don't think I would like it if they were mounted on top, I'm going to do another photoshop to see how they look that way.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Version 2.0, looks ok with gauges on top and I would be happy with this. I would prefer them to be recessed though... Good thing I have an extra dash to do some measuring with.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got my 06 GTO seats yesterday and installed the fronts today. Overall it was pretty straight forward as I have read. Total time was around 8 hours to get it finished, luckily I had everything I needed to fabricate for brackets at the house so that made it easier. They do sit ever so slightly higher then the old worn out seats, I may try to get them a little bit lower this winter but I'm not sure yet, they will have to come out anyways when I go to install the rear seat. They are a huge improvement though compared to the old seats. I only got about 20 min of seat time on them but I'm really happy I did it. My cousin pointed out how the door panels don't match color wise with the seats, that is something that I didn't even think about but for now I don't care.

New seats!

Old beat up seats n:

Headliner was falling out, ended up ripping that out completely as well as the insulation above it. That was a nasty job!

Headliner out! I was disappointed to see that I don't have the mounting holes in my 66 for the 3 point belts. It was at some point in 66 that the factory started putting them in, by 67 it was a law that they had to be an option to have 3 point belts I guess, I missed out... Going to have to weld something up there. Here is where I plan on getting my seat belts from, unless anyone knows if I can adapt the new GTO belts to work... http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com...ge%20Three.htm

Seats out!

Old and new seats side by side.

This is the passenger side power seat track. The track needed to be moved 2" from the right side seat post to get the proper position in the car, pretty simple bracket here.

Just fabbing up the rear brackets here to meet the existing seat bolts, I wanted the seat to sit parallel with the car so the rear needs to be raised up.

The rear brackets need to be welded in place.

Both brackets bolted in place.

The drivers side track can use the right front post and end up almost perfectly centered on the steering wheel. Mating brackets need to be made for the other 3 posts.

This is what I made for the DS right rear another L bracket bent to shape to match the factory 06 track. This is bolted together. The left side needs a welded L bracket just like the passenger side.

Here the seats are mounted and wired up! The DS front left mounting post is missing so that seat only has 3 of 4 bolts currently, not a big deal since I'm basically done driving the car for the year.

GTO stitching for my GTO!

Passenger side view.

Last one.

Any ?'s feel free to ask.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 10-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention that the power hookup was very simple. On the drivers side seat there is a connector with 4 wires in it 2 are a larger red and black. The larger red gets 12v and the large black goes to ground. Passenger side was only a 2 wire connector. Same situation. The other side of the connector that would have been in the car harness has orange and black wires if you get that side of the harness included. So then orange is 12v and black ground.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. Those look nice in there. 'Giving me some ideas...
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Looks great. How do the seats feel in relation to your car? They look a little high to me.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are a huge improvement over stock for sure. They are a little bit higher then before not terrible but I got to thinking about it last night. I don't know why I was thinking I wanted the power track to be parallel with the car, it really doesn't need to be. The seats have the power to raise and lower them in both the front and the back... So looks like I will be taking them back out at some point and dropping the rear of the seat track as close to the floor pan as possible with a different bracket.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
They are a huge improvement over stock for sure. They are a little bit higher then before not terrible but I got to thinking about it last night. I don't know why I was thinking I wanted the power track to be parallel with the car, it really doesn't need to be. The seats have the power to raise and lower them in both the front and the back... So looks like I will be taking them back out at some point and dropping the rear of the seat track as close to the floor pan as possible with a different bracket.
I saw that, and said to myself Why is he doing that.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tramminc
I saw that, and said to myself Why is he doing that.
HA! I guess I didn't realize that they moved the way they did when powered up... that's about all I can come up with.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not any real changes or updates to speak of right now. Its crunch time at work before the snow flies so we have just been putting in lots of hours lately. Not any time to really work on the car.

I did order the 2010+ Camaro engine cover, I was suprised that it doesn't go all the way back on the engine. I guess its because of the cowl on the new cars it can only go 3/4 of the way back. I've got some ideas on what I will do with it just wanted to post up how it looks for now before I get it painted.

Also I took advantage of Speedhuts sale that is going on right now and ordered 4 Revolution gauges. Got an 8k Tach, 160mph GPS speedo, and 2 dual gauges, fuel / volt, and water temp / oil psi. Those should be here is a week or so. Only bummer is they quoted me one price when I gave them my CC info and then added $40 for removing their "revolution logo" which they said there was no charge to do. Talked to them today so hopefully that gets worked out.

Plans for the winter are install the gauges, more interior work, some rear suspension upgrades, and maybe do a quick job on the rust holes and get the car sprayed satin black... but that's a big maybe at this point.

You can see here how the cover doesn't go all the way back...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the cover, but agree that hole in the back needs something.

I think your car is the perfect candidate for a more retro look:
http://www.holley.com/data/products/...verExample.jpg

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT