Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectre tank lives up to it's bad reputation

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran across this for the 68+ A-body guys. Apparently some people are running a Buick Grand National tank, fits great, and its all properly baffled. Here is the info where I saw it. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334222
Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

When I cut my Spectra tank open to install baffles,. I put about 2-2 1/2" of water in and tilted the tank to try and see if the sump(bathtub) had any problems suppling water to the pump. I was surprised to see the "sump/bathtub" restricking water. It appears that there isn't enough weeping holes in the sump/bathtub. I drilled a 3/8 hole up about 1/2" on the back corner. This was basically the only place I could access. If I had a small cordless drill, it might be possiable to access other areas. . I also noticed the pan was steeply angled at the front. I figure gas must wash right out of this when braking. I welded a 1"wide strip of 20G at the front and a 2" wide strip at the rear to see if to will aid in the fuel not washing out of the pan.

If this works or even helps, I might try a slightly different design to the old tank. Does any of my jiberish make any sense? LOL
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, Planning on going to the longbranch cruz tomorrow and hopefully Belton on saturday. It will be the first time this year....see ya then...

Interesting idea on the GN tank think I'll look into it.....gota be better...

Jimbo, I too installed a baffle in my tank, but it was only on the drivrs side of the tub inside, seemed llike the pump was closer to the pass side and didn't need one. I also drilled 2 more 3/8's holed in the bottom... I wondered if there tub was maybe to tall inside and keep fuel from getting inside. Mine was about 3-4" tall, maybe if they'd made it about 1.5" tall instead.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by flywheel
I also drilled 2 more 3/8's holed in the bottom... I wondered if there tub was maybe to tall inside and keep fuel from getting inside. Mine was about 3-4" tall, maybe if they'd made it about 1.5" tall instead.
My tub was just under 4" tall. I too thought the tub keep fuel from getting into it and was correct as I stated earlier. So how does the tank/pump work now? Any starvation issues?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Ricks tank in both all my cars and have never regretted spending the extra money. I drive my Corvettes hard and have never had a pump pickup ever suck air. They really build a nice tank. Not cheap, but money well spent IMHO.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to look into the GN tank, found them from $70 to $250 on an ebay site.... Damn Spectra tank died on me again tonite with just under a half tank.....That's BS.....Has anyone talked with them and got any kind of resolution with them?
Rick
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

I've been thinking about sumping my tank and lowering the pump down into the sump area. Basically cut a hole in the bottom of the tank large enough for the pump and screen to fit through. The top of the sump would be the tank floor and with one hole in it to allow pump to set in the sump, I would think the sump would always stay full. Hate the thought of cutting on my tank, but I'm tired of the dying on hard turns when I'm below 1/2 tank.
Something similar to this.
Spectre tank lives up to it's bad reputation-tankmod.png

Last edited by usc2001gc; 08-12-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The walbro 255 is a good cheap reliable pump, but make sure it is a REAL walbro. The market has been flooded with some cheap replicas that tend to die prematurely.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I put one of these drilled with holes in my stock tank and have been down to 4 gallons before starving full throttle in a straight line. Around 5-7 it starts having issues in aggressive turns.

Welded box around stock pickup, fuel return line feed back into this box through a vent tube on the factory tank, EFI rubber line inside the tank connects it to the box.

I got a 3" deep thing like this:
http://qualityairride.com/files/2_In..._Plate_Box.jpg

Used for putting a license plate in the tailgate of a lowrider.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to look more into the GN tank since I have an a body.

There's a few vendors online that sell the spectre tank under there name (not spectre) probably don't know what crap they are selling, or just don't care like most.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I installed one of the original Spectra tanks in my LS1 A body conversion and it suffered from the same problems as all the rest. Well I just got the latest generation tank and the early indications are pretty good. I drove it for the first time yesterday and I haven't experienced any stalling issues yet, and that was with a 1/4 tank of gas.

I forgot to take some pics of the inside but the differences seem to be the old inner pump bowl has been bisected by an additional baffle and the bottom has more holes to allow fuel to get back into the bowl area. Other than that I didn't see any difference in the pump or anything else.

I'll report back after I have had a chance to put some more miles on it.

BTW-it is listed for sale in the non LS1 parts section.

Last edited by clm69z28; 08-25-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
I'm going to look more into the GN tank since I have an a body.

There's a few vendors online that sell the spectre tank under there name (not spectre) probably don't know what crap they are selling, or just don't care like most.
They know (but hope you don't) and don't care.

Quick Reply: Spectre tank lives up to it's bad reputation