Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Olds 442 clone gets Gen IV 6.0L & 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Good to see you're back working on it. Been putting a lot of miles on mine.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Deal.. Glad to see you're back at it... Can you guess why I'm here? (change the last 2 numbers in my user name 02)

Who did your harness & PCM and how long did you have to wait for them? IF you remember, lol
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Launching!

What's up Speed ?? I bailed out of Nastyz. Too much drama with my homo midget stalker and Admin doing nothing but complain when I responded to his little man BS. Had they just banned the troll I'd have stayed.

I got my harness done from the McCullough brothers. So you're doin an LSX swap??
http://www.lsx-harness.com/contact.html

I honestly can't comment on how well mine was done .....YET since it's not in my car. However they came highly recommended. I used Speartech the first time on my LS1 and I didn't think it was worth the extra premium of 2x the cost this round. One complaint I do have is you never get a final schematic of how this is all wired to troubleshoot it later down the road.......from any company.
Originally Posted by garys 68
Good to see you're back working on it. Been putting a lot of miles on mine.
What's goin on Gary ?? Long time no see yeah ??
I'm still going to be doing the samething with custom door panels like you did eventually. Have you been keeping tabs on your MPG's with your 5.3L 4 speed swap ?? I'm curious how well you've been doing since I've got the 3.73's and T-56.

I have just got my boot in the **** from my boy who is off all summer to get this car finished. We're wiring it up already, guess he didn't want to wait til the weekend knowing that I'm a slacker. LOL We should have it completely wired within a week or so.

Last edited by Aceshigh; 08-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

ON mpg, I'm at a little better than my truck, so the olds is getting around 22 combined when I'm not hard on it.
I did an experiment years go with a SBC/700R4. On the highway, the 30% reduction in rpm with the OD have about 10% better gas mileage. So don't expect anything better than low 20s.But either way, it's a great looking cae and fun to drive.
On the door panels, every show I've taken the car to, some Olds guy asks if they're off a chevelle, gto, etc. lol
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Yeah, I here ya on the drama over there.. That's why I mainly lurk and search for info over there..

I'm getting an LS1/4L60e combo, with the harness, computer & front accessories out of an 2002 Camaro from JJFarmer on Nasty.. Says it came out of a Florida Hwy Patrol car. High mileage, but it being in FLorida it's all hwy and those cars are maintained.. Motor might even be rebuilt b/c it's over 100k.. The mileage doesn't bother me too much b/c of the way these are built.. Much better overall over a Gen 1.. I was going putting together a 400sb/200-4r build and gonna get it all done at the end of the month, but I saw his motor and the price is right (under 2k for the package) so I jumped on it. Just gotta work out the shipping. All the parts for the 400 are getting returned, 400 going up for sale, then I'll have the funds to install the LS1 into my '78.. I believe I can do it for another $2k.. Basically the same $$ total I was putting into the older stuff..
Just researching everything in the meantime till I get the motor and old stuff gone..

I was gonna go with Speartech for the harness, but they told me 4-6 weeks.. I'm not crazy about that.. Painless wants over $700 for a ready-made.. Not spending that.. There is a guide somewhere with all the info to modify the harness, so I might just tackle it myself.. Gonna send the computer to Brendan at LT1swap.com.. He charges $75 and a quick turnaround..

Fuel system, everything from a Grand National will bolt right in to my car.. I can get it all for under $400 from Rock Auto.. Get the Corvette filter/regulator.. Just gotta work out the lines and fittings at the pump side, and rail side.. and the other headache will be the exhaust.. But it's not as bad as I though it would be.. All the F-body stuff should fit with the right motor mount adapter plates from CarShopinc.com.. I think once I gather all the parts, and get the harness done, I can bang it out in a week or so.. Need to figure out how to get my speedo to work.. No budget right now for new gauges.. See how it goes..

If you have any info on the fuel fittings, I'd appreciate whatever ya got..
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Good choice on the CarShopInc plates, IIRC that's where I sourced my newest ones'. Cheap prices, good quality vs the competition.
Originally Posted by speedaddict78
Need to figure out how to get my speedo to work.. No budget right now for new gauges.. See how it goes..

If you have any info on the fuel fittings, I'd appreciate whatever ya got..
Depends on the fuel line you're choosing. There is a diagram in the Conversions & Hybrids sticky of the 67-69 Camaro section that's got info you can use.

I opted for the newer Nylon fuel line modern vehicles use because my 442 is a full frame vehicle to hide the fuel lines in. I forget exactly what the underbody of the 78's looks like after the front subframe to run fuel line, so not sure but most modern vehicles aren't full framed either so.....ya know. The Nylon fuel fittings are $2 a pop and look identical to the Russell AN fittings, except they're Nylon. If I opt to go over 500hp down the line later on I'll swap these lines out for hard lines, but for <500hp it's fine.

I bought the Nylon tool kit to install the fittings properly but it can be done with some ingenuity and a caulk gun, someone posted before. I can find it if you need that info and plan on going with Nylon lines.

Got the fuse block in tonight, and wire wheeled out my floorpans after a 17 hour shift. Sucks, might have to work all weekend.....but I love the OT $$$

Last edited by Aceshigh; 08-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 Olds 442 clone gets Gen IV 6.0L & 6 speed manual