Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx nova project

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any clear coat on any of that??? your alternator is black!!!
painting my LS1 all black tomorrow btw... that's y I have all these questions.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Agreed, your not going to loose hp or tq with running the power steering.

In my 74 i ran the H8/GM Muscle car pan new from the dealership i think im only into the pan/windage,pickup only 150.00 It hangs a an inch below the crossmember but so do the headers.
Well now that the car is almost complete and all the weight is on the tires, the oil pan hangs LLLOOWWW.

Im gonna hope for the best until i get the AWD system in.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the chance, try the cts-v oilpan. my pictures dont do justice to the room i have. it literally looks like the motor came from factory fitting in there.

Blake,
I painted all my accessories with semi gloss black enamel from a spray can. No clear coat on it. for the intake i only used the gloss black enamel. I felt like the accessories would be way to shiny if i went with a gloss on them. and yeah some might not like the Alt blacked out but i love the accessories like that. Gives it some attitude.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Sump ready to be welded on my tank.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a reason everyone's sumping their tanks on these LSx swaps? I didn't sump mine.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kwnova9
Sump ready to be welded on my tank.
I would do A LOT more cleaning before you weld that in.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I would do A LOT more cleaning before you weld that in.
The tank itself is nasty, could use a good sandblasting or soda blasting, but where the welds need to be it looks really clean and ready to go.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I don't mean clean for weld penetration/quality. I am talking about cleaning it for safety / risk of fire.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

I don't mean clean for weld penetration/quality. I am talking about cleaning it for safety / risk of fire.
Before welding on the tank i would home he has it boiled out, i did that before i sumped my old tank.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, the tank will be boiled and welded professionally. This is just the prep i did for my buddy whom i sent it to. When i get the tank back i will scrap off all the undercoating and repaint it black.

Here is another progress pic,

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChrisBorsheim
Is there a reason everyone's sumping their tanks on these LSx swaps? I didn't sump mine.
Sumping the tank puts the fuel lines at the lowest, rearmost point of the tank. that way you have less of a chance sucking in air under hard acceleration or turning. it keeps a constant pool of fuel right by the fuel feed line. the tank has 5 2.5" holes cut into it where the sump covers, this acts as baffling to help keep fuel there. as opposed to cutting out a huge square and welding in the sump.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you get around to it, a taurus electric fan fits the radiator like a glove. you can control it via the ECM using a bosch 75a relay.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

One of the best looking truck intake swaps I've seen. Very nice work. It looks great!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
when you get around to it, a taurus electric fan fits the radiator like a glove. you can control it via the ECM using a bosch 75a relay.
I actually ran electric fans with my old sbc set-up, when it kicked on in traffic my lights would dim out lol I built a sweet fan shroud set-up using the stock silverado shroud, fits in my car perfect, just got to finish trimming it up and paint it, then i will install and show pics.

One of the best looking truck intake swaps I've seen. Very nice work. It looks great!
Thank you very much, I PROMISE it looks even better in real life. I'll get a real camera and take pics because all of these are on my cell phone.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

I actually ran electric fans with my old sbc set-up, when it kicked on in traffic my lights would dim out lol I built a sweet fan shroud set-up using the stock silverado shroud, fits in my car perfect, just got to finish trimming it up and paint it, then i will install and show pics.

Thank you very much, I PROMISE it looks even better in real life. I'll get a real camera and take pics because all of these are on my cell phone.

The good thing about that motor fan is that if you ever have trans/driveline or rear end issues just throw it in neutral and rev it up it will work like an airplane prop. JK. Not really
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Nice project man! I have a 77, I originally planned to do a lsx swap to it. Got back burnered when my sten wanted a new motor. I've loved the 75-9 novas since before they were cool. Definately watching this one!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

For anyone reading this and doesn't think they have the knowledge or funds to undertake this task, think again. I'm a 20yr old college student with 6 yrs auto experience. I did a 9 mo. apprenticeship and learned the rest while building this car. No dad to watch and learn on cars, just myself and a little bit of that stuff we call common sense. I worked summer jobs throughout high school and then worked this past year in a women's purse store Yes, It's embarrassing. But that shows how even with little experience and a pretty tight budget, these swaps can be made possible.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

For anyone reading this and doesn't think they have the knowledge or funds to undertake this task, think again. I'm a 20yr old college student with 6 yrs auto experience. I did a 9 mo. apprenticeship and learned the rest while building this car. No dad to watch and learn on cars, just myself and a little bit of that stuff we call common sense. I worked summer jobs throughout high school and then worked this past year in a women's purse store Yes, It's embarrassing. But that shows how even with little experience and a pretty tight budget, these swaps can be made possible.
There is no better way to learn than to do it yourself. With this Website around it really helps. Dont feel bad i worked at Revlon making Mascara back in the day. Well i worked on the machines, but still.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey is that your resume
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My worst job was washing cars by hand in the 70's for $35,00 a week. They use to say if you don't know pick up a book. today it's go online. your doing good for a hands on 20 year old

Quick Reply: LSx nova project