Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo 5.3 s10 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably want to get rid of those plugs and put a ubend in there so your thermostat works properly.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya you don't want to block those off you need the coolant to flow out of one and then right back in the other. Theyale a u bend heater hose specifically for this
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn I heard other people do it it this way. Where can I get that u bend thing your talkin about?

Couldn't I just run a 1/8" npt tap above the thermostat and run my steam line crossover to it?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Yes you can run your Steam Crossover to it.....but you still need to allow coolant around the thermostat.....

A trick I used on a 34 ford with an LS1 is to Drill a hole inside the thermostat housing as far towards those plugs as I could get which allows the coolant a passage. Used a 1/4" drill bit and it works like a champ. Just need to get some coolant through that wall in the pump.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thanks alot I never even thought about that. I just didn't want to take those plugs out and run a u hose. It'll look kinda like **** like that haha.

Couldn't I run the npt adaptor right above the thermostat? That way the coolant crossover can feed the thermostat coolant. I might just drill it a 1/4" anyway like you said.

Drilled a hole like you said. Should be good now
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Glad to help......I also drilled the thermostat housing for the Temp Sender.....Works good.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the old coolant lines I fabbed up for the ls1 intake to fit. It didn't fit too good and I didn't want any leaks.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  148.7 KB

Here's the new ls6 rear plugs and crossover
Name:  image-1.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  67.4 KB

Can't wait to get this!!! Only $100 with my employee discount
Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  81.5 KB

Sooooo the engine is complete. Now I have to save up some money for the tranny, crossmember, and motor mounts so no updates for about another month and a half. Then I gotta swap out the old 2.2 for this beast. Should be fun.

Sold my cutlass today. Should have a tranny soon
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Launching!

set that bitch in there already lol jk. My brother and i are getting ready to do his 90 s10 and im courious to see if your manifolds work out. If yours dont work out im goin to buy the Ls header flanges @ summit and make a log type. He is doing rust repair now lol, screw that **** haha. So soon as we start the power end of things i will put pics up/
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep up the good work. How did u pop the sleeves out of the water pump?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I'm going as fast as possible!! But hopefully I can drop everything in within the next Month because before money was the only thing holding me back. You got a build thread going? And for bonestock 442, thank you. All you gotta do is heat up the barbs and water pump with propane or even acetalyn if you can and grab a pair of vise grips and a hammer and slowly twist it back and forth and hit them with a hammer. Hope that helps. Put alot of muscle into it haha

the th400 is getting built right now by a local shop and should be done in a couple weeks. hopefully this weekend i can order my tranny mount, motor mounts, crankshaft spacer, and longer bolts and possibly get started on taking the 2.2 and tranny out.

well, got most of the **** ripped out and harness torn apart. in the next couple days i need to buy a torx bit for the stupid bumper to take the whole front off, power steering lines off, fuel lines off, shifter off, then the motor mounts and tranny mount then i can take it all out.
Name:  image-3.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  126.1 KB

have a next update hopefully in a couple days

got the engine and tranny out today. within the next week ill be making the hvac block off cover, removing the stock fuel system, cleaning frame and undercoating all of it, blocking off the manual shifter hole, painting floor in the cab and possibly figuring out which parts of the wiring harness i need for my headlights, blinkers, tail lights and all the cab wiring. hopefully get all this done before my tranny is finished and all my parts come to mount everything. stay tuned
Name:  image-4.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  117.6 KB

the old 2.2 and 5 speed trans
Name:  image-5.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  109.2 KB
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks good. Ive been working on cleaning and painting my frame for the past 3 weeks. hope yours cleans up faster than mine has.
good luck.
Kory
Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha thanks kory but I don't think it'll be any faster than your frame job. I'm still debating on doing just the front part of the frame firewall forward or if I should kick it in the *** and do it all. It's not too rusty so I'm not sure yet.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just do the whole thing if you can. The truck will hopefully never be farther apart than it is now. I removed the cab, painted under it put it back on. Then I removed the box and did the same. I currently have the box off upside down in the garage. I'm replacing the front spar that runs crossways under the floor. it was really rusted and mostly missing. what a pita. hopefully yours is in better shape than mine was.
Kory
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn man you did work! im not going to go that far as to pick up the cab and box because my frame really isnt bad at all i might just go over it from underneath with the wirebrush then undercoat/paint it. i pretty much did the front because it was super dirty and greasy, which i dont think anyone likes, and because its going to be seen alot when people look into my engine bay and with a clean engine its always nice to have a clean frame.

speaking of painting, today i got the front crossmember/frame firewall forward wirebrushed with a 3" grinder, washed with bleach (i know, but i didnt have any degreaser), and undercoated/painted. also decided to do the floor boards in the interior because the old carpet was STILL wet from god knows when so they were kinda rusty but not too bad.

Name:  100_0316.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  101.3 KB

interior after undercoating
Name:  100_0315.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  88.3 KB

i think the GM color match paint is pretty dang accurate, this is right after painted so it looks a little dark than it will dry
Name:  100_0319.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  89.2 KB

more updates possibly tomorrow morning for more surface rust removal/painting on the sides of the truck and then fuel system/exhaust removal after that.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks great. nice work.
Kory
Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Made a HVAC block off cover the other day out of some 24 or 26 gauge sheet metal and painted it up
Name:  image-6.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  98.3 KB

Also got all my parts in today. The motor mounts, tranny mount, coil insulators, starter, proportion valve, crankshaft spacer and the longer bolts.
Name:  image-7.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  78.0 KB

I'll be putting the prop valve in tomorrow and mock up the insilulaters

so lets just start off by saying ALOT of things went wrong and basically only 2% of things went the right way. got my th400 done last week so its time to get **** done. first of all, when i put the tranny next to the engine i realized the engine was missing a hole for the tranny to bolt to so i had to drill and tap a hole for that, no biggy. then once i tried to bolt in another tranny bolt it scraped against the tranny and wouldnt go in so i grinded the tranny down and it fit in, not so bad. after i got that out of the way, i realized the 7/16" bolts for the torque converter would not fit in the converter holes so i drilled them out. after that, they were too long so i had to shorten all of them. then, last but not least, the flywheel holes didnt reach the TC holes to i had to elongate them. FINALLY everything bolted up between the engine and tranny, now its time to drop it all in.

this look like the right width between the torque converter and flywheel? about a 1/4"
Name:  1-6.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  2-3.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  78.4 KB

lookin good huh? not really...
Name:  image-8.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  91.0 KB
turns out we had to notch the crossmember in order to fit the engine and tranny in. after that the tranny mount wouldnt fit with the tranny crossmember so now we gotta cut all that out and unbolt it even though its a pain in the *** and fabricate a new one for it. and for the person who asked me if the flipped manifolds will work, the answer is no. passenger side, no problem it will fit fine. drivers side on the other hand will either hit the steering shaft or break booster no matter which manifold you put on. it didnt work facing downward nor did it work facing upward. now i need to either buy swap manifolds or make a new one from scratch for the drivers side. so for the guy earlier that asked me about running the crossover underneath the bellhousing, that is probably what im going to do now.

my dad using the oxyacetalyn to cut the notch out for the crossmember. it fits AMAZING now that we notched it and clearance is very good even with the mounts all the way back.
Name:  image-9.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  77.4 KB

thats all for now stay tuned for an update in the next few days or so.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

What manifolds have you all used? You might be able to move the steering shaft over half inch at the firewall and maybe get a smaller shaft. What about getting a smaller master cylinder? Look through summit. It was 91blowthru who had the crossover under the bellhousing. He has some pretty good pics of his setup.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the truck manifolds it hits the shaft a little but I could fix that but it also hits the brake booster so Im not sure if any other manifolds would work. I'm possibly thinking about doing a rear mount set up like originally planned but I'm not sure yet. Another option would be to have my friend build me a header but he might not be that good
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

switch to hydroboost, or ABS electric high power booster, so that you can mount the master to the firewall or go with manual brakes, with the corvette style M/C and eliminate the booster?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm you got me thinking now LSCustoms, I want to keep my power breaks so where would I find one of those boosters you mentioned and how much? That would solve alot of problems

Quick Reply: turbo 5.3 s10 build