Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle from exhaust?? (with videos)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by rp0029
Andrew and Sherman8r - that makes total sense. I thought it was exhaust, but it doesn't seem to come from either side, only the bottom rear center, like it is the rear main seal. I have a breather on the rear driver's side valve covers, and the passenger side is hooked to manifold vacuum. My throttle body didn't have the vacuum port, hence the breather. There is no valve in the system. I suppose this is causing problems? What did you guys do?
I don't know how to fix it exactly, but at least I pointed you in the right directions. Personally, I would copy the various factory arrangements for the PCV hook-up.

Andrew
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I agree. I have an idler pulley bearing that is doing that exact same thing right now.

Pull the belt and run the engine for a short bit after it would normally do it, I bet the noise goes away. Crazy part is I bought a new tensioner from AZ and the pulley did the same thing after about four days but not as bad. Crappy cheap replacement parts. If you remove the pulley the bearing will feel a little rough or catch when you spin it in your hand.
I had purchased a new 08 Corvette idler freom GM and after finally getting my car running it was making a chirping sound that varied with rpm. I pulled it and checked the bearings and it was good. Come to find out it was the cheap Master Pro belt I bought from Oreillys. I bought a Gates the noise is gone and havent had a problem since.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Andrew and Sherman8r - that makes total sense. I thought it was exhaust, but it doesn't seem to come from either side, only the bottom rear center, like it is the rear main seal. I have a breather on the rear driver's side valve covers, and the passenger side is hooked to manifold vacuum. My throttle body didn't have the vacuum port, hence the breather. There is no valve in the system. I suppose this is causing problems? What did you guys do?
The vacuum port behind the throttle body needs to be run to the drivers side valve cover to a PCV. The passenger side valve cover needs fresh air so if your throttle body is absent a vacuum port you will need to tap into the CAI to make it happen.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tsnow678
The vacuum port behind the throttle body needs to be run to the drivers side valve cover to a PCV. The passenger side valve cover needs fresh air so if your throttle body is absent a vacuum port you will need to tap into the CAI to make it happen.
Tony LOVE YOUR CAR BTW - do you have a part number for the valve that you used? There are two ports on my valve covers - one close to the firewall on the driver's side, the other is a small tube coming out of the passenger side near the front of the valve cover. So you are saying that the small passenger tube needs fresh air, and the rear driver's inlet needs vacuum?

It would appear I have it backwards.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

is it a manual transmission because it sounds like pilot bushing to input shaft clearance issue. worth a shot
Beaudacious
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its a 4l80e.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Tony LOVE YOUR CAR BTW - do you have a part number for the valve that you used? There are two ports on my valve covers - one close to the firewall on the driver's side, the other is a small tube coming out of the passenger side near the front of the valve cover. So you are saying that the small passenger tube needs fresh air, and the rear driver's inlet needs vacuum?

It would appear I have it backwards.
I appreciate the compliments!!! As you too have one badass ride!!!

Your drivers side rear should have a PCV in the rubber grommet unless you have the newer valve covers. The newer covers just have a tube coming out of the drivers rear (no good unless you are running the valley cover with the internal baffling). If you have a place to install the PCV in the drivers rear you should be able to get a PCV from a 2003 Chevy 2500 Silverado and go from there with some 3/8" hose around the intake to just before the throttle body. You are correct on the passenger side. you will route it to somewhere in front of the throttle body if your throttle body doesnt have the port already built in.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

My ride needs a little body work. But thanks.
I have the covers that look like this:

The cover on the right is hooked to the passenger side. Is that tube on the back incorrect? If so, where can I get one with a grommet?
Also, can I temporarily leave the "fresh air" inlet unplugged?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

My ride needs a little body work. But thanks.
I have the covers that look like this:

The cover on the right is hooked to the passenger side. Is that tube on the back incorrect? If so, where can I get one with a grommet?
Also, can I temporarily leave the "fresh air" inlet unplugged?
You should be able to get a left hand (drivers side) valve cover from any junk yard. I know my 03 LQ4 has the cover you need on it. I am unsure at what point GM started the breather in the valley cover hence the absence of the PCV in the valve cover. I am thinking when the LS6 came out. Even though the passenger side is tied into the CAI prior to the throttle blade, there is still vacuum pulling on it. I am unsure if it can be left undone. I would at least put some sort of filter on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't have time for a junk yard. So I ordered a set from Texas for $25. I'm going to test it this weekend.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 927 Posts

Let us know how it works out. Did you ever see if the noise goes away when you disconnect whatever PCV arrangement you had?

Andrew
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wont see the car until Saturday. Will let you all know. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah its the vacuum. Warmed it up to where it was making the noise. Pulled the oil cap... presto. No noise. I'm going to have to figure out this PCV situation.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad you found the noise. I thought i found out what was wrong with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ68xOBA
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

For now I just capped the inlet to the manifold, left the inlet to the passenger side open, and the rear driver still has the breather. When the new covers come I'm going to install it correctly.

Quick Reply: Whistle from exhaust?? (with videos)