Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What model LSX (size & year) is best for a BBody.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC Henry
Great article.
Thanks Henry!

Hey! What trans did you use in your Cappy?

Thanks!

JB
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Here is another article with some real decent info in it.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item...all_block.aspx
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OldBBody
Thanks Henry!

Hey! What trans did you use in your Cappy?

Thanks!

JB

I used a TH350 with the LS1 and a TH400 with my LQ9.

Looking back on it, I like the TH350 much more. I am having issues with the TH400 not having 1st gear, and also TH400 robbs much more power.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I'd love to go LY6 + 4L80E, but am thinking I'll keep the TH350 that's in the Merc now while I figure out all the ins/outs of doing the 4L80E swap.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KC Henry
I used a TH350 with the LS1 and a TH400 with my LQ9.

Looking back on it, I like the TH350 much more. I am having issues with the TH400 not having 1st gear, and also TH400 robbs much more power.
Ah... yes.. both better trans then my 4L60 (non-e)... I don't know what engine I'll end up with but it seems like I MIGHT have to to use it temporarily at first.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't use a 4L80e? I have another thread going in the Trans. Forum and so far... most everyone agrees that the 700r4/4L60/4L60e is not the proper trans. for a big car like the Caprice. I've already replaced my 4L60 once after 156K on the stock 180hp engine. I seriously doubt it would live behind a stout 5.3 or bone stock 6.0 very long.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'd love to go LY6 + 4L80E, but am thinking I'll keep the TH350 that's in the Merc now while I figure out all the ins/outs of doing the 4L80E swap.
Sounds like a good plan ProStockJohn! Sure would be nice to see a picture of your Merc!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think there is a good chance I can fit a 4L80E, and honestly I think they are much more durable than a 4L60E... Overdrive would be nice.

I roll on a 70's GM frame like a B Body...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

OK.. so I found some more good links to add to my thread...

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

Uses BRP LSx install Kit in a Caprice...
http://caligeneralzcc.com/forum/show...?t=2504&page=8

The article basically tells me that using the BRP kit will cause putting the engine up higher in the engine bay. The main benefit of this kit is to get more clearance for the FEAD accessories, the oil pan and the headers. The only thing that worries me is the drive shaft angles at the rear end and the trans might end up out of spec by doing that way. I have read that some people really like the BRP system and some people don't. If anyone has thought on this please feel free.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

I think there is a good chance I can fit a 4L80E, and honestly I think they are much more durable than a 4L60E... Overdrive would be nice.

I roll on a 70's GM frame like a B Body...

Oh man.. that thing is SICK!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks broh.

I've look at some dimensions online, and the LS engines are shorter but I'm not sure if that factors in the front accessories. And it's a bit wider too. I personally don't want to move my TH350 more front or back, I'd like the engine to be in the same exact spot. I don't want higher because I don't want to get into weird angle issues with the drivetrain.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks broh.

I've look at some dimensions online, and the LS engines are shorter but I'm not sure if that factors in the front accessories. And it's a bit wider too. I personally don't want to move my TH350 more front or back, I'd like the engine to be in the same exact spot. I don't want higher because I don't want to get into weird angle issues with the drivetrain.
That's exactly what I am looking at because my Caprice has cargo springs in the back and the space between my fender wheels is already much higher when compared to other Caprices. So I dont' want to change the drive line angles either.

The BRP Caprice engine mounts do seem to move the engine up in the bay but their kits seem to offer the easy bolt in swap that everyone wants. Other kits sometimes move the engine into a different place too but you don't know where things are going to end up when you move into the finishing stage. Then you might be making custom headers or fab'd a trans cross member and I really don't want to do that stuff.

I don't want to use the BRP long tube header.. which are Hedman...... I will most likely go to a stock cast manifold at first until I can get headers... and even then they may NOT be long tubes. I am hoping that Clear Image will do a Tri Y header for an LSx Conversion. It makes so much sense for the B Body community...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I heard F-Body headers work, so I plan to pick up a set like a used set and see what happens.

I'm also thinking about going with custom mounts, my friend Dan (aka G-Body) said that's worked well for him.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I heard F-Body headers work, so I plan to pick up a set like a used set and see what happens.

I'm also thinking about going with custom mounts, my friend Dan (aka G-Body) said that's worked well for him.
F Body header are a solid plan... on the other hand... I am not so sure if I would want to have custom mounts built...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think the motor mount choices are situational. If I end up doing the swap with my friend Daniel who's done 4-5 of them, then I'd defer to his strategy.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

I think the motor mount choices are situational. If I end up doing the swap with my friend Daniel who's done 4-5 of them, then I'd defer to his strategy.
Yeah... the one thing is for certain there are a lot of engine mount relocating kits out there. Seems that the engine, trans and headers would need to be temporarily installed just see what mounts need to be used. Some move the engine forward.. other move them back.. and kits like BRP move them up. Seems really important to get drive line angle measurements before anything gets torn out!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yep, that Dan's thoughts... get the motor in, see what will work.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I am just putting all the good things I find in this thread to keep a running tally of information as I go along...

Power steering relocation kit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/800600/10002/-1

Kwik Performance Relocation Brackets:

LS1 Air Conditioner Compressor Bracket for Sanden Compressors
http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

LS1 Alternator only and Alternator / Power Steering Pump Bracket
http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

Last edited by OldBBody; 02-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, that Dan's thoughts... get the motor in, see what will work.
Right.. motor mounts are far far cheaper to purchase or even make then an entire header set or a trans mount! I saw a thread were some one made a header system and thought... "I am NOT doing that or paying to have it done either so I better figure this out good!" God bless the guy for having the skill, talent and time.. but I don't see really needing to go that far with this. As long as I spend a lot of time reading and getting all the parts together little by little.. I should be fine.

I can still be getting the brackets and misc. things together before I even get an engine. I'd rather have a bunch of unused parts lying around instead of an engine sitting collecting dust and dampness. I have read that so many times.. guys get the engine and let it sit.. then when they open it up its all rusty inside from not being stored properly. There are so many things we can do as we go along to make the process easier. Being prepared SHOULD help things go smoothly when go time happens. At least I can hope right! Sometimes you get right down to it and its turns into Frankenstein's monster! ha ha
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

what engine did you decide to go with?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thread is 8 months old bro...and he hasn't signed in since June...

Quick Reply: What model LSX (size & year) is best for a BBody.