Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What model LSX (size & year) is best for a BBody.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt be to worried about a 4l60e on a basically stock 5.3. when you get the new trans throw a shift kit in and that will help with longevity. I havent been able to find a crossmember for a 4l80e in a b-body. If the 4l60e can last in a 245,000 mile suburban I dont see any issues pushing around a much lighter b-body. Im planning on a 5.3/4l60e for my custom cruiser next year.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98BuickGS
I wouldnt be to worried about a 4l60e on a basically stock 5.3. when you get the new trans throw a shift kit in and that will help with longevity. I havent been able to find a crossmember for a 4l80e in a b-body. If the 4l60e can last in a 245,000 mile suburban I dont see any issues pushing around a much lighter b-body. Im planning on a 5.3/4l60e for my custom cruiser next year.
http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/...ss_members.php

Look down at the 2nd row. Ask if he has them in stock. If you order it and don't have it in 2 weeks, bug the **** out of his ***.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96IMPPUSHA
what engine did you decide to go with?
Well... sorry to dig this thread up from the dead but I have never forgotten about this thread... and have done a great deal more research since I posted this 2 years ago.

I have decided to go with an engine from a 03-06 Chevy/GMC van. I have narrowed it down to either and LQ4 6.0/4L80e or the LR4 4.8/4L80e.

The reason for this is because getting a 4L80E heavy duty trans under the Caprice is a priority. Both of these engine have this trans. I have read over and over again that the 4L60/4L65/4L70 is not up to snuff for the weight of the BBody and seeing that I am on my 3rd 4L60 (700r4 non-e)... I am not going to go with an inadequate transmission.

My thought here is simple... find a low mileage 6.0 and use it. If I can't for some reason find a 6.0 that is in reasonable enough condition or at the right price... I would also look for a CHEAP 4.8 L and have it rebuilt into a 4.8/5.3 Stroker. I am not sure why not many people ever think of this. The LQ4 is a 370CI engine. A 4.8/5.3 built to a Stroker is 383ci and that is more CI then the 370 LQ4.

I of course would rather find a good used LQ4 but spending extra money on a fresh built engine isn't a bad idea. Even if I want to use the 4.8 as is to get the car up and running a again... I could build it up later too. So... although many guys will roll their eyes at a 4.8... there is some flex-ability there... at least to me.

This is the deal:

Since I have a 1993 OBD1 car... I have to use a hybrid wiring harness that still uses some elements of the original EPROM based ECM to make sure all the car's original features still work. This requires the harness from the Caprice LTZ and the 03-06 Van to be spliced. This is expensive... I found multiple places that will do it but its usually $1500-$1700. recently I found a place that will do it for $700 out of AZ. I don't want to link this company because I am not sure if they are an LS1 Tech sponsor or not but if anyone is interested... just email me.

Engine mounts are going to most likely be from S & P or Dirty Dingo.

FEAD brackets are going to be from Holley.

http://paceperformance.com/i-1165860...it-sanden.html

Not sure what to do for cooling yet but since I have green coolant I hope I can use the 3 core HD brass copper rad. and the Flex-A-Lite dual 4600CFM fan I already have.

Fan:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/dual-13-1...oller-515.html

All In all I estimate about $3000 in parts. Plus I can sell my TBI 350/700r4 drive train as well to make up some money too.

Well this is all I have for now...

Last edited by OldBBody; 02-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: What model LSX (size & year) is best for a BBody.