Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 miata race car build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New track bumper. My friends all hate the green. when it's painted it will be awesome.

Head lights... check!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

A good shot of the exhaust and the sfi bellhousing.

Eli from Project X "This stupid thing actually started tonight. Sounds ridiculous."
http://youtu.be/pwbVA5pCq9g

^VIDEO OF FIRST START

Originally Posted by jmarsa
I'm curious if that SFI bellhousing is going to fit (caus I have one too).

--JMarsa
It fits. you'll need to do less cutting then with a stock bellhousing. but you'll still need to cut/weld.

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Wow it looks like you got alot of cash in on this project man! That definatly makes it easy when you got all the best off the shelf products. Are you road racing this miata? I can imagine the rear end is going to be driftin around! Nice build.
there is allot of $ invested but everything is relative. parts for a miata are cheap!! for example my brake kit is top shelf and it's $1,500, for a 350z/corvette the same quality of brake kit will run you $5000. I figure you can get allot more performance per/$ with a miata then any other car.

Originally Posted by Franchi
Odd question but why no speedo? I mean I understand that you don't care when corner racing as it's where you are on the lap but I would still want one... lol
allot of top drivers say speedometers are distracting while racing. with automeeter wanting $300 they are expensive too. i opped spending the $300 for a lap timer like the G Tech rr . so i could have a speedo on the street and seeing lap times on the track.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

I have no speedo either. The speed relative to RPM is a constant, so if you know 70 MPH, for example, just remember what the engine is turning.

In this case I'd guess 2000 RPM in 1st gear is like 120 MPH
Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

^ that game makes me nervous when there are cops around lol. the g teach is well worth it though.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost looks like the car was completed prior to starting the build thread...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting take on induction plumbing.....both styles. I'm curious to see what you ended up with on the "final draft". Also curious what accessory setup was used on the front of the engine....I like how the alt ended up easily accessible.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
Interesting take on induction plumbing.....both styles. I'm curious to see what you ended up with on the "final draft". Also curious what accessory setup was used on the front of the engine....I like how the alt ended up easily accessible.
on the nb miata (1999-2005) you can run corvette accessories too. the intake runs to the driver side now.

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Almost looks like the car was completed prior to starting the build thread...
you caught me lol. i did the build a while ago, but i post my build thread and updates in the same thread. i'm an organizational freak like that.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by be good
you caught me lol. i did the build a while ago, but i post my build thread and updates in the same thread. i'm an organizational freak like that.

LOL, yah too much was happening in the build too soon.

As to the front anti-sway bar mounts. Did you actually upgrade them & if so was it before or after they fatigued or maybe even failed on you? They are basically the only weak point on a Miata. Mazda actually built a stout car for only having 135 BHP.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

i pulled the say bar mounts. the oem location of the sway bar ran it right threw the lsx crank pulley. so i cut them and relocated the bar 2" lower with some steel bar to the frame.

one of the guys on thechicagogarage.com took some pics of me running last year

Quick Reply: ls1 miata race car build.