Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumped tank for FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sumped tank for FI

Like most guys I went to carb'd LS for the ease of the swap and cost into an older vehicle.

One issue is the fuel delivery and tank. Myself an A-Body guy (Chevelle) am plagued with either the Spectre tank for $400, but with many posted issues or the spendier tanks with no issues ($1000).

Has anyone ever tried just installing a sump in their tank?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-4041/

Yes, you must run an external pump, but your pickup is somewhat sumped (ecspecially if you drill the holes like the instructions and not just cut out a rectangle). Can use this with carb too. Relatively cheap and universal. Also, just leave your stock pickup in and plug up the outlet (return line could still be used).
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

I have used that exact sump kit. Works great. As you said, drilling the holes per the instructions does help provide some form of baffling.

After installing that sump, I have done multiple autocrosses and open track days. The only time I ever got concerned was when the fuel was under 1/4 of a tank and I was in a long sweeper. Otherwise, I never had any fueling issues.

Just be careful when welding that piece on. Do a search for welding tips on fuel tanks. The first one my father and I did. Turns out that it didn't seal very well. After it annoyed me for a couple years, I finally took it a pro.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

We have done quite a few using the sump setup with no issues. Drilling holes versus the big cutout if the key and I prefer to drill smaller holes than they even recommend. 5 or 6 - 1.5" or so holes works well and allows the sump to be baffled pretty well. Those 5 or 6 holes can deliver way more fuel than the pump could ever take out of the sump.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to Hi Jack the thread but would Mig welding the sump be ok or is TIG the only sensible way besides brazing? I was thinking of MIG welding my sump?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

This is what I did to mine. Bought new tank from rockauto.com. Comp engineering sump kit from summit racing.

On new tanks you do need to be care as it is galvinized and you are not supposed to weld on it because it will give off a toxic fumes.

And finished it off by spraying it with rubberized coating.

Tim.
Attached Thumbnails Sumped tank for FI-imag0092.jpg   Sumped tank for FI-imag0095.jpg   Sumped tank for FI-imag0100.jpg   Sumped tank for FI-imag0111.jpg   Sumped tank for FI-imag0116.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sumped tank for FI