Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well good news is, I got both cars plus the convo centerlines for $300. Owner said he'd hook me up since I installed a new ignition in his 01 alero yesterday, sooo I'm gonna pay him tomorrow and pick up the 93 and try to get the 89 on wed or this weekend.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id just apply for an abandoned title instead of swapping parts around.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Id just apply for an abandoned title instead of swapping parts around.
I'm going to stop by the DMV tommorow and see what my options are, the only issue I have with swapping parts around, is that the roll cage would have to be cut up to remove it and would be useless pretty when installing it in the 89, and the subframe connectors are welded in as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the build man! Youll have fun if its your first engine swap.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6.0L mustang philly
Good luck with the build man! Youll have fun if its your first engine swap.
Thanks! I've swapped old school SBC but nothing LS aside from putting the 5.3 in my car but that was all bolt in with no fabbing or anything. Noticed your from Cheyenne, spend some time at douglas much?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Launching!

well the 93 is at my house...picked up the 89 on monday morning and to my surprise its actually a GT, in pretty decent shape as well, its flat army green, has two black leather seats and missing the dash which the 93 has so its not a big deal...well I was taking the 89 to my buddies house until this weekend and I could start body work and start swapping stuff over....then an accident happened...a big one....My girlfriend and I were in her 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, Don and my nephew were behind us towing the mustang and we hit black ice....we started sliding and there just happen to be a filled tanker semi coming back from filling headed towards us...we were on a 4 lane highway and slid all the way across the highway into the semi's lane, I don't remember much except for my girlfriend screaming and asking me repetively "what do I do baby! We're gonna hit him!!!"...I blacked out and we hit the trailer...my side hit first, spinning us under the tank and crushing the cab on us essentially...Sadly my girlfriend got the worst of everything...and she was wearing a seat belt! I was not. She broke her collar bone, broke her foot (the floorboards crumpled and crushed her foot), broke her shoulder, cracked her sternum and compressed her T4 in her spine along with a gash to her head and two busted teeth she will be awaiting release on friday...I made it out with a broken thumb, gashes on my face and head, broken collar bone and several wounds filled with glass from my head and left arm going through the windshield.....So my build has hit a very big wall...Here's the pics of the car and the trailer on the semi

The impact actually broke the trailer frame and shoved the axles back about a foot
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch!! good that you and your woman are both alive though. get well then worry bout the car cause it can wait
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
ouch!! good that you and your woman are both alive though. get well then worry bout the car cause it can wait
Yeah, what he said! You guys are lucky to both be alive.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys its much appreciated, just sucks about having to wait to start wrenching...oh well gives me time to figure out a color scheme
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Figured it was time for an update. My girlfriend and I are doing great, I finally got outta my sling for my collar bone last week and other than my broken thumb, I'm able to start wrenching again...somewhat anyways! My girlfriend is healing quickly, still not back to school yet but will be as soon as her shoulder heals enough to support her body on crutches!

Now onto the fox, got the title stuff figured out for the 93 and scavenged what I wanted from the 89 and sent it off to the scrapyard. Really the only thing I got from it was some nice leather seats, and the fuel tank which are at home in the 93. I ordered some solid 4.6L motor mounts and going to make a plate to adapt the mounts to a piece of 1/4in thick plates. Basically the same concept as this- http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-g...unt-solid.html, just a lot cheaper haha. I also got a freshly rebuilt Th400 short tail for $150, a buddy was gonna put it in his derby car but was afraid he would tear it up if he got hit too hard so he pulled it out in favor of a junky TH350. A buddy of mine is going to hook me up with an MS4 cam for pretty cheap and also gets a 15% discount at TSP an can get me a stock cubes Mahle power pack for around $540 IIRC, so after tax returns this project is really going to start going!

Oh yeah, I was doing some searching through the 89 and found a trans crossmember that has already been modified for what I'm guessing would of been a short tail TH400, as there is a plate extending about 2in past the stock mounting location.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Update
Got the interior cleaned up and gutted, HVAC deleted, engine harness out, new seats in and got pretty much all my stuff to rebuild my LS1, just need to order a Cam, springs, pushrods and ARP head studs. I test fitted the block today using sold 4.6 motor mounts and the K member is too wide so I'm gonna try to make some shims and shim the mounts out like the UPR kit has....and it that doesn't work I'll buy a Team Z/ AJE K member and call it good. I also bought a Zex nitrous kit from a member on here so that will be going in it as well.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Launching!

So this build took a huge turn from a stockish ls1....forged 347, pt88, microsquirt, Jakes performance th400, a2w intercooler. Its almost ready to hit the streets.
Attached Thumbnails Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight-img_20130719_220951_033.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight