Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight

I'm looking for some insight here guys, I'll get to the questions in a bit. My sister recently let me know her boyfriend has a 93 5.0 mustang that he wants to sell for dirt cheap...$400 to be exact...It has no engine, no trans...However, it has a 8.8 with a posi (no idea what gears), 6 pt roll cage, subframe connectors, boxed trac arms ect, stock fuel tank was been removed. The body itself is in pretty good condition, has some paint chips and a crack in the windshield but other then that its pretty clean and it has the harness still intact. He also has a set of center line convo pro wheels that I'm gonna try to pick up pretty cheap they look like these http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerline-Whe...03507/10002/-1
Currently I'm only waiting on him to find the title, if he can't find the title then its going to be a strictly 1/4 mile only car, but if he can find it I will driving it on the cruise nights this summer.

So my idea is to do an LS1 swap with a th400, I have the ls1 (needs rebuilt), I have everything minus a wiring harness, AJE k-member and the TH400 ( I can get one from a buddy for cheap) itself...My issue is how would I go about doing the wiring? I've read that some people combine the stock harness with an LS harness and some say you can run just a stand alone harness for the engine and retain the stock body harness for the light and such. This is really my only issue with doing the swap.

I've done some research and many say it's impossible to build a ls swap foxbody for under 5k....I'm kind of anxious to try it, but I'm probably cheating as I have a lump sum of it already in my possession and I'm not spending over $500 for the car haha. As soon as I get the car, I will being uploading build pics, keep in mind I'm 18 and make roughly $800 a month so it will be slow progression til I graduate in June and start making some cash drilling for black gold.

Here is a couple of the pics I took while looking at the car

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Not one person can help a guy out?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since your short on cash, I'd try and get a stock harness cheap and strip it to make a stand alone. Not hard just takes time.

Try not to lose a finger in the new job.....
Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The GM engine harness will be completely independent of the Ford harness. I suggest getting a pin out for the GM harness, it's really quite simple. Same with the Ford harness, they're will be a lot of unused wiring on the car you can get rid of. If he can't find a title he can always go get a duplicate, not sure on the cost, but here it's $10.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome find, I'm only going to have about 4k total in my build including car. As for the wiring harness, the engine harness will be totally separated from the ford harness. The body wiring diagrams can be found on forums pretty easily. From there you can decide on what you want to keep, and throw out.

I started at my fuse block of my mustang, and deleted everything in there that I knew I wouldn't use. I followed wires until it made it to a connector. I then cut that connector off, and removed all wires that went to that connector. After a couple of these the harness will start shrinking very quickly.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a heads up, in order to use the AJE trans mount u MUST have a short tail trans.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Awesome sounds like the wiring will be a walk in the park...

Ls1punk- I read that on here somewhere, thanks for the heads up though!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Launching!

TurboS10- I'll try not to, I don't plan to stay into it too long...just long enough to get into a good chunk of change to have in case anything happens and I get cut on work.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Default ls1 fox body swap

I am doing the same type swap. I bought a 1991 mustang gt for $500. I am using a borrowed LS1 and a borrowed turbo 350 with a borrowed 3500 stall TCI converter. My car came with 4.30 gears with a spool and C clip eliminators. It also has an 8 point cage and after market rear control arms and frame connectors. But it also has a cracked windshield. My goal is to do this swap and have no more than $2000 in the whole car. I have made my own stand alone harness, notched the factory k frame,made my own trans cross member and have used a lot of parts that were just laying around. My goal is to get the combo to run a 7.99 1/8 mile on motor and 6.99 with a 150 horse shot of spray. I am a 56 year old GM tech and I have been drag racing since 1973. I am removing a lot of weight from the car. It won't even have headers just manifolds with pipes. The drive train is now in the car and I just need to wire it up. So far I have less than $1300 in the whole project. I plan to post pics after it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight-118_1816.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Damn thats pretty clean, Hoopty, make sure to get some video's of it at the strip! I looked at the car again today and it actually has an 8pt roll cage rather then the 6pt I thought it had. I'll upload some pics in a few.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Ignore the junk inside (mainly the random truck and lawnmower tire)

Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

fyi thats a 10 point, X bar isnt doing much but if you putkicker bars off the main hoop you may be able to get it certed to 8.50

im doin a lq4/glide in my fox and im not gonna be anywhere near as cheap as some of you guys are but i have alot of stuff from before. bought i jw bell(had the glide behind my sbf) ans fuel rails so far. gotta get f-body pan, msd box, injectors and turbo stuff and i should be able to get her running. i love making **** work its fun!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Teching In

$400 for that car is a steal. It also has 5 lug already and I'm guessing aftermarket front suspension? Good luck on the build man!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Launching!

I'm no expert on roll cages haha

The suspension, I think is all stock in the front, never looked and Donald (owner) never mentioned anything about it being aftermarket.

I've run into yet another issue with the title....Donald went to talk to the old owner about going to the DMV this week and picking up a copy of the title and turns out the guy is in jail somewhere and no idea for what. Sooo I'm kinda fucked on getting the title right away like I wanted, I could wait for the guy to get out and go get the title but I don't know him and have no idea how long it will be til he gets out, However, Donald told me he has an 89 fox v6 and he HAS the title for it, originally it was only a parts car and he bought it for the front suspension for some street rod. To my understanding he said he would just give me the 89 if I bought the 93....But I really don't wanna have to swap **** over like the suspension F&R,rear end, and roll cage but if I have to I guess I can...I barely have room for one car let alone two though haha.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

just giving you a heads up so ya now for reference man lol. as for the title issue he may be able to get it marked as abandoned and get the title that way since its on his property. prolly take a lil time but may be worth it. in 94 they went 5 lug so someone did something up front. it may only be ranger rotor installed on stock spindles which works as well
Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
just giving you a heads up so ya now for reference man lol. as for the title issue he may be able to get it marked as abandoned and get the title that way since its on his property. prolly take a lil time but may be worth it. in 94 they went 5 lug so someone did something up front. it may only be ranger rotor installed on stock spindles which works as well
Hmm that would be a nice alternative rather then having to completely swap everything over, really want this project moving by summer. I'll talk to him today and see what he wants to do. And I had no idea about the lugs, I assumed 5 lug was standard on the v8 models and 4 on the v6, thanks for the info! I'll have to check that out next time I'm over there.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

all fox chassis were 4 lug from 79-93 minus the svo mustangs and the 93 cobra R. they are easy to retro fit 5 lug on though. if you have any ? feel free to ask me on mustangs. i've done bout everything possible with one. doing the ls swap portion now haha
Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Launching!

all fox chassis were 4 lug from 79-93 minus the svo mustangs and the 93 cobra R. they are easy to retro fit 5 lug on though. if you have any ? feel free to ask me on mustangs. i've done bout everything possible with one. doing the ls swap portion now haha
Awesome, thanks man. I'm actually gonna take advantage of this right now haha, say I were to swap the goods over from the 93 to the 89...would I be able to swap the fenders, bumpers, spoiler and such over? Basically make it a 5.0 clone?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup i would def rec. using the 93 front fenders if you can as they have a sightly larger wheel well opening cause in '91 they started using the larger 16' pony wheels
Old 12-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

yup i would def rec. using the 93 front fenders if you can as they have a sightly larger wheel well opening cause in '91 they started using the larger 16' pony wheels
Awesome, thanks for the info man.

Quick Reply: Ls1/ TH400 swap 93 5.0, need some insight